IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

Is that a copy? Or is it really a black & white photocopy? :?

It may be just a b&w printer. Not sure honestly but man, these guys are scumbags.

You don't go soliciting eBay sellers to include your crap or soliciting at another expo without a booth. And if you're a vendor, don't solicit outside of your booth.

This was my thought exactly. In fact PRGE is the *ONLY* name on that list that I even recognized. Looks like that's one more expo I won't be attending, and I was actually thinking about going to PRGE too. I will not give money to any group that supports the Coleco Expo.

PRGE is one of the biggest expos in the country. Not sure why you'd boycott them as they aren't affiliated with these hozers.

• Like 2

With all due respect to TPR's feelings, this thread needs more reality and less echo chamber*. Echo chambers can amplify an issue more than what may be happening outside in the larger community. Quite simply, PRGE (or any of the vendors) may not even be aware of the many scummy things RWB/Cardillo has done. At the very least, perhaps make sure they are informed before boycotting?

*If this thread is meant to be a safe space for a retreat, then please carry on. Just recognize that it's going to have echo chamber qualities.

PRGE is one of the biggest expos in the country. Not sure why you'd boycott them as they aren't affiliated with these hozers.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 6

You now need to partially go through the process of buying a spot. It then allows you to select your "seat" and it then shows the availability map. Only one spot (A1 - 714) has been sold since I last posted the map:

attachicon.gifEvent Map 26 Jun.png

I count 38 Exhibitor tables purchased and 47 Exhibitors listed on the flyer. Can anyone account for the discrepancy?

Crashing any trade show and trying to hand out flyers and cards without buying a booth is a cheap move that only offends those who are actually paying a lot of money for a booth.

The same people to whom Cardillo wants to sell a booth at his own convention.

Gee, it's almost like he's familiar with the concept of pissing off the people who could potentially earn him money.

• Like 5

They are giving them money and supporting them. There have been other respectable groups, including those involved directly with this community that have pulled out. Perhaps they don't know about what's going on, and maybe someone should inform them?

Sorry if it's not a popular opinion but I will choose not to support anyone who supports Coleco. I don't care who it is. They won't be getting my money or support.

• Like 3

This whole thread reminds me of the IKEA incident a few years back where they forced IKEAhackers owner to take down her site. After some very bad social media, they "got it" and invited her to HQ for a tour and embraced it. With some agreed upon guidelines, everyone was happy. I hacked a pretty cool desk with three Galant desks, sadly no longer available.

I recognise "Collector's Card and Games". They have been around for decades and among other things sell old video game stuff (http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/games.htm). I've bought a few ColecoVision bits from them in the past.

I have also purchased things in the past from them without issues.

I would tend to agree with a few other posts.. some that are signing up may not be aware of the things that have been going on, so I would personally take it easy on them rather than point a finger at them.

• Like 1

some that are signing up may not be aware of the things that have been going on, so I would personally take it easy on them rather than point a finger at them.

But if we make them aware of what's going on and they turn a blind eye then it's fair game, right?

Perhaps we can work this out in a meeting.

Why don't i send you a plane ticket and you can fly up here and we can sit down across from each other and work through your concerns and our concerns. In the meeting we can discuss a plan moving forward.

This whole thread reminds me of the IKEA incident a few years back where they forced IKEAhackers owner to take down her site. After some very bad social media, they "got it" and invited her to HQ for a tour and embraced it. With some agreed upon guidelines, everyone was happy. I hacked a pretty cool desk with three Galant desks, sadly no longer available.

I think that's what Cardillo was going for, in his incompetent kind of way. The difference being that IKEA is a well-loved international manufacturer that produces items of value, and Coleco is a minor vintage trademark troll with delusions of grandeur.

• Like 2

But if we make them aware of what's going on and they turn a blind eye then it's fair game, right?

I would not read too much into a link exchange. For CGE2K14 we contacted Rick and the boys at PRGE early on and asked about a link exchange on the pages, and of course we discussed de-conflicting the expo schedule so no two expos were on the same weekend or two close. They were nothing but nice and helpful. But it isn't as if we kept moment to moment track of any drama connected with the expo scene. When you run an expo of any size you get all sorts of drama that this group doesn't like that group, these people won't come unless they get in free, this vendor won't go if you don't remove links on your site to another vendor he has a beef with, some guy makes these girls uncomfortable so you ban him and they don't even come, etc. etc. etc. etc. and another etc. to bring it home. The PRGE folks might not know, or may have heard something, but don't have the same personal investment that the people directly involved do. During the early stages of the RVGS scam, what if I had gone to Albert with the proof I had and demanded he boot everyone involved and ban all news related to it and Albert blew it off, would everyone have called for his head? All I am saying is a courtesy link exchange is not a deep investigation and total fidelity with the other party.

• Like 4

Ok, well, I appreciate everyone's input, but that still does not change the fact that I will not support any organization that is attending that expo, giving them money or support of any kind. That's my choice and I'm sticking with it. Sorry if others disagree, but with the bullshit that I have personally had to deal with, for things that I did not do wrong and drama I didn't ask for, just by principle I cannot support someone who supports "Coleco."

• Like 4

Ok, well, I appreciate everyone's input, but that still does not change the fact that I will not support any organization that is attending that expo, giving them money or support of any kind. That's my choice and I'm sticking with it. Sorry if others disagree, but with the bullshit that I have personally had to deal with, for things that I did not do wrong and drama I didn't ask for, just by principle I cannot support someone who supports "Coleco."

Just playing devil's advocate here but does this mean you won't be supporting CollectorVision since they are associated with Coleco now?

• Like 1

Just playing devil's advocate here but does this mean you won't be supporting CollectorVision since they are associated with Coleco now?

Oh, IMO, CollectorVision is actually screwing Coleco! lol They sold them 150 copies of their game and then also sold that same game at a better deal on their own website. There is an option to avoid supporting Coleco with their game and I will buy directly from CollectorVision. Now if CollectorVision was attending the Coleco Expo (and IMO, it speaks VOLUMES that they are not) then yes I would have to seriously question if I could continue to support them.

But considering the circumstances, I think I would actually support them MORE in this case! ;)

• Like 4

Except Coleco mentioned on their site they are close to 'licensing' Sidney Hunter.. that would make them exclusive in the future.

Can't really believe everything Coleco posts on their website :)

First of all, I agree with ColecoJoe, you can't believe everything they post. Secondly, "licensing" Sidney Hunter would not make it "exclusive" to Coleco. I'm going to assume they mean licensing it for another one of their pointless mini arcades that nobody will want. With no real disrespect to CollectorVision, I would not buy any Sidney Hunter game from "Coleco" if there was not an option to buy it directly from CollectorVision. So in that case, if Coleco did make an exclusive Sidney Hunter game, I would pass on that product.