IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

I think there are some people who would never admit to their mistakes by choosing to attend, but no matter how people want to spin it, I'm looking at actual real videos taken by random people who are at the expo. Here's one that was just posted about 30 minutes ago showing a nearly empty vendor area with vendors sitting around bored with not many customers in sight:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXdu8joDAGT/

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gif5.jpg

attachicon.gif6.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Those are real actual photos of what the show floor looks like!

And just to be fair, there ARE people playing in the game room at least as shown in this video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXdv1Hbjtgq/

But also strange there isn't a single ColecoVision console set up at the "Coleco" show. ;)

Those poor, poor vendors, sitting around waiting... :sad:

So as of yet no reveal of the Rainbow Brite game? That was the only thing that was of any real interest to me. Even if the guy and his show suck I was still curious to see what the new mini arcade is (was?) going to look like when it hits store shelves (if it does?).

So as of yet no reveal of the Rainbow Brite game? That was the only thing that was of any real interest to me. Even if the guy and his show suck I was still curious to see what the new mini arcade is (was?) going to look like when it hits store shelves (if it does?).

There was what looked like the game running on a PC yesterday with a Rainbow Brite banner behind it, but I haven't seen anyone post about it today. There was no 'official announcement' made about the game and nothing at all mentioned about the mini-arcades. I wonder if these will become vaporware?

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 17.02.29.png

The big question is: will they have another in 2018?

They can try to spin it however they wish and vendors will be politely silent about their disappointment, but they'll show their true feelings when the time comes to renew their spot for next year. Good luck with that. Cardillo is going to have to make the decision next year whether to continue the train wreck and (likely) have an even more disappointing show than 2017, or admit defeat and remember COLECON as a once in a lifetime event. Sadly, he can probably cancel the whole thing and save face because no one will remember this in a month, much less a year.

The Expo could have made sense and been great if they had actually put on a good event. IMO, a handful of arcade machines, some wal-mart tables with consoles, mostly unknown guest speakers, random cosplayers, and featured vendors with garden gnomes and crochet knick-knacks doesn't make for a "great" retro gaming expo. Especially when not a single well-known retrogamer, homebrew publisher, or YouTuber was present.

It was not the "idea" that wasn't solid, it was the team behind it putting it all together.

You hit the nail on the head. In order to run a good expo you need to give your expo goers something they can't get through their computer screen. A bunch of rom running emucades, retail priced merchandise, and no-name "celebrities" with nothing else to do on a weekend isn't going to cut it.

I love the community aspect of it but getting people from the scene to attend is a big one. It sounds dumb but one of the things that really makes me travel to a convention is the prospect of meeting people I've only seen online or played their game. Even if it's just to say hello and take a photo, attend their panel or get something signed, that's still more than I can get from the desk I'm sitting at right now. People want to bring back something brag worthy and those "guess who I met!" posts on social media sell the convention as the place to be.

• Like 2

We should have our own colecovision show. Perhaps an Atariage show somewhere not too far from Canada so we can attend. Like in Canada but you know buffalo or somewhere not too far.

Small venue, small charge to attend as a vendor to cover rental of a small room facility. Free to the public to buy stuff and 1 day only.

Great idea, except the thing about Buffalo. Toronto or Montreal is just fine, and please make it around Xmas time so that I can fly in and attend. :)

Oh man! Everyone needs to go watch this video right now!!!

https://www.facebook.com/paul.snearowski/videos/o.596195503873576/1788667907814158/

I wish I could embed it. But start around the 2:00 mark. It really shows off just how sad and pathetic the Coleco Expo really was. What an embarrassing disaster for Chris Cardillo and his team.... GOOD! They absolutely DESERVE it!

• Like 5

Did Coleco just give up after Chris alienated the CV retro/homebrewers community?

Not like Coleco has ever spent money on marketing or community outreach to generate buzz.

They also basically pissed the homebrew/retros they were sponsoring cheaply.

Booth at the New York Toy Fair probably cost around 4000 dollar to be manned, and they probably spend a few thousand dollars to buy the Coleco website.

Website and their Facebook and twitter is probably outsourced with the rest of RWB or Castle Windows companies when it is up so the running costs probably isn't that bad.

Edited by enoofu