IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

It was all free promotional material before. And now that's gone. Good job, Chris. Way to know how to guerilla market yourself. You DID graduate with bachelor's in marketing, right?

Maybe having a degree and actually learning something are two different things. Maybe it's not such a good idea to "study less & earn A's without effort."

Then I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures say with a voice like thunder, Coleco! I looked, and behold, there was a white horse. The one riding on it had a bow, and a trademark was given to him. He went out as a conqueror so he might conquer.

As long as there are no boobies on the package! Those things are SCARY!

post-2410-0-01094300-1503322966.jpg

• Like 6

Ahh. Perhaps that explains his alter ego, "J. Fontaine," doesn't use the Cardillo family name. There's definitely some male gaze in those videos.

Maybe Coleco should embrace that idea and make some games under that label. It could be their "Deep Water" brand.

Deep Water was a concept invented by Sega of America during the mid-1990s, used to identify video games intended for more mature audiences released on Sega platforms. It is part of Sega's long history of self regulation (which continues in Japan to this day), though was a label very rarely seen and is therefore not widely remembered (at least in comparison to the Videogame Rating Council).

Only the Sega Mega-CD game Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side and the Sega Saturn port of Duke Nukem 3D are known to have in-game Deep Water labeling, in which a small CGI clip showing someone being eaten by a shark off-screen is shown during the introduction sequence. A later revision of X-Perts was given a Deep Water sticker to cover up an erroneous claim about battery back-up saving, but does not allude to the label in-game.

Due to its lack of use, the Deep Water name is often mistaken for companies involved in the game's development. It may have been a way for Sega to distance themselves from possible controversy, or more than likely, poor planning on behalf of the company, as the ESRB system proved to be more than capable of identifying products intended for older audiences.

Or maybe that's why they're working so hard to convey that Coleco is a brand for kids and family? To soften up Cardillo's gangsta image?

In any case, I'm loving those sunny sides up in a sun dress, you definitely made my day.

• Like 4

Tatsunoko v. Harmony Gold which finish arbitration in California a few months ago

Tatsunoko can terminate the Macross/Robotech license agreement with Harmony Gold on May 14 2021 including copyrights and trademarks

This would also affect Harmony Gold Agreement with Coleco which is planning a Robotech toy line

Edited by enoofu

I read that a booth rental cost a minimum of $167, so when he is talking about that hundred bucks he made, it sounds like he probably netted no more $200 after the cost of the booth. When he said "I didn't do horribly" and "I have done worse", it's really more of a glass half-empty statement than a glass half-full statement. He probably could have done just as well at a big flea market.

The prospects of a 2nd expo next year seem pretty grim. Of the people who paid to get into the Expo this year, I doubt that many of them will be back. I bet they will lose some of the vendors and the guests. Given the issues with reputation and bad word of mouth, next year is not looking likely.

Let's get real here. This aint happening next year and I feel the brand will be abandoned pretty soon :)

• Like 3

Well Intellivision Productions does own the software to burgertime, bumpnjump, locknchase, the trons, and dozens and dozens of other games. RWB doesn't own any of the software on the cv flashback. They could have put the Intellivision Imagic games on the flashback since there is nobody to sue them. But there is no need to, they have lots of other games to choose from.

This a quote from the web site I referenced earlier and the smucker case.

-----

34. Indeed, RWB has admitted on its website and in numerous interviews to the press, that its business model is premised on deceiving the public as to the source and nature of new, unrelated goods sold in connection with famous brands. As RWBs own Founder and President, Paul W. Earle, Jr., admitted in an interview in 2004, you can uninstall software from a computer but you cant uninstall a brand name from someones head.

-----

Doesn't Activision own Imagic's IP? I thought they acquired Imagic when they folded back-in-the-day...

Doesn't Activision own Imagic's IP? I thought they acquired Imagic when they folded back-in-the-day...

If you have some evidence of this, like a newspaper artiicle, please post it. We've been told that Activision does own some Imagic games and I think they've published Atari Demon Attack and maybe Atari Atlantis as Activision. It has also been said that when Intellivision Productions approached Activision about publishing the Intellivision Imagic games back in 2001, Activision didn't acknowledge ownership of those games.
  • Like 1

Nah, it's common knowledge that Activision has had the old Imagic games for decades. They just don't always want to play ball. I don't think a "newspaper article" means much when we're talking about ownership of intellectual property. Legal documents, which might be privately held between the two companies (one is super dead) are the things that matter.

More evidence, not that it's needed:

Activision has definitely included Demon Attack, Atlantis, Dragonfire, and Moonsweeper in Activision Anthology more than once. These are the Atari VCS games. A bunch of Imagic games are expected on the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition later this year.

Many years ago, the sequel to Intellivision Lives, "Intellivision Rocks" was released on CD-ROM. It was ~2002 and it contained every Intellivision game released by Activision and Imagic.

In the Intellivisionaries podcast, led by AA member Nurmix, Intellivision chief Keith Robinson was asked this question, specifically if the Activision and Imagic games could be included in the next Intellivision Flashback. I'd have to go back into the podcast or ask someone who did the interview, but I think he said it was all up to Activision, and he'd either need their clearance to use these games, or they'd want a license fee.

Not to give the shitheads at Coleco any ideas, but Uspto shows Demon Attack as dead. If a bottom feeder like River West tried to grab it, it would be neat to see Activision's lawyers bite their stupid Spuds McKenzie heads off.

• Like 1

It was Keith Robinson in the Intellivisionairies interview that said when he approached Activision about publishing those Imagic games, Activision did not acknowledge ownership of the games. The contract was worded to name games like Pitfall, River Raid, Stampede, but said something like " and other games owned by Activision". Keith R was under the impression that Activision owned the Imagic games but at the time (~2001) Activision was not. There is a reason why RWB included the Imagic games and not the Activision games on the Coleco Vision flashback; they know what they are doing; it doesn't mean they own those games or have any rights to them. No doubt that Activision has published Atari Demon Attack, Atlantis, Moonsweeper and others (just as ATGames/RWB has). They might own those games but if they don't who is going to stop them. Activision has licensed the old Activision games to others but have they licensed any Imagic games? I like old newspaper articles or first hand knowledge more than "common knowledge" . Bill Loguidice has posted about what he knows but I can't find the post right now; Imagic might own some Imagic games but not others. [trademark registrations don't mean anything regarding copyright]

Edited by mr_me

Keith ALSO said implied that Intellivision was a lot more careful with its legal moves than "Coleco," which to me suggests that RWB took the Imagic games, possibly without explicit permission, possibly because they figured there wouldn't be any consequences.

I'm having trouble parsing your comment, so perhaps we're saying the same thing.

Any "old newspaper" talking about Imagic & Intellivision is likely to be from the early 1980s, around the time of the big game crash, when Imagic was liquidated. Most of the publications I know about from those times that covered home games were product-focused, more "should you buy this game" than any industry gossip, which came later. I seriously doubt any major newspaper (AP or WSJ) would cover a small item like that. Of course, now I have to look. Argh.

According to this old post, Philip states with some authority in his voice that

Activision did not buy Imagic. This is a common misconception. Late in the life span of the Atari 2600, Activision bought three of the Imagic games outright: Demon Attack , Atlantisand Moonsweeper. They did not buy the whole company.

So I wonder if the others (including the Imagic on ColecoVision games that appeared on ColecoVision Flashback) were licensed, or simply grabbed?

• Like 1

Other than the homebrew games there is nothing on the coleco vision flashback packaging that indicates licensing or copyrights to the games. Some belonged to the original coleco whose copyrights might be unenforceable. But there is a long list of other companies and people that are still around with copyrights on those games.

Other than the homebrew games there is nothing on the coleco vision flashback packaging that indicates licensing or copyrights to the games. Some belonged to the original coleco whose copyrights might be unenforceable. But there is a long list of other companies and people that are still around with copyrights on those games.

I can tell you, they better not mess around with Exidy logo/games :twisted:

• Like 1

I feel the brand will be abandoned pretty soon :)

So neither the Coleco Toys or the ColecoVision Nation page have posted anything on their Facebook page in 10 days. And the last thing that the ColecoVision Nation page posted was about some cosplay cruise! lol

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 17.05.02.png

Gee, according to their "about" page I thought ColecoVision Nation was "ColecoVision's #1 Fan Here! Just started this page to see who else is still as passionate about this gaming system as I am!"

I guess that isn't the case? Hmm....

Oh, and over on the @ColecoVision_ Twitter feed their last posts have been about Casio watches, CB Radios, McDonalds packaging, and arcade redemption machines. Did someone hack their account?!?!? Where's the "ColecoVision" content???

*sigh*

• Like 1