IGNORED

Some More Projects & Notes with My QI TI-99/4A

rickneff68

I just finished a couple of projects with my QI TI-99/A tonight:

1) Added a blue LED to the console. (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/228592-beige-console-power-led-mod/)

• A 3/16" drill bit works well and is about the right size for most standard LEDs. (As I'm in the U.S. I used imperial measurements, not metric.)
  • You need to clip about 1/4" off the LED for it to bend and seat properly in the case socket.
  • I found it useful to use a Sharpie to mark the leads on the LED to identify which went where. Otherwise, it's a very basic process.

2) Added a Reset Switch (http://shift838.wixsite.com/shift838/projects)

• The tutorial mentioned C606, but since the QI motherboard layout is completely different, there is no capacitor labeled C606. Instead, I used the one labeled C22.
  • Again, like the above, it's a very basic process once you find the right capacitor.

I'm in the process of making a cable for headphones with volume adjustment since I installed the F18 board in the system. (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/265627-f18a-video-board-and-qi-motherboardssystems/) I got it started, but I didn't finish it. My problem is that I would like to use a wheel potentiometer. (Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/3-Pin-Single-Linear-Potentiometer-Selling/dp/B01MEFKK3D/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1495348849&sr=8-25&keywords=wheel+potentiometer) However, I'm not sure of the best way to mount or protect it. Most of the time when I've seen these in pre-made cables, there is a protective housing. I don't have anything like this and haven't found one online. Anyone know where to find a housing for a wheel potentiometer?

Edited by rickneff68
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, this is disappointing...I was doing some work on this system (removing the video/audio port since I have the F18 board) and after trying to power it on, smoke came out of the F18 board.

Sigh. icon_tears.gif

I'm not sure what specifically happened as I was pretty careful, maybe some loose solder or something got on the board somewhere. But, the system won't power up anymore.

The lesson here, I guess, is to be careful and check/double check before powering on the system.

Don't feel too bad -- I have 3 more systems. icon_smile.gif

Edited by rickneff68
  • Like 1

Well, this is disappointing...I was doing some work on this system (removing the video/audio port since I have the F18 board) and after trying to power it on, smoke came out of the F18 board.

Sigh. icon_tears.gif

I'm not sure what specifically happened as I was pretty careful, maybe some loose solder or something got on the board somewhere. But, the system won't power up anymore.

The lesson here, I guess, is to be careful and check/double check before powering on the system.

Don't feel too bad -- I have 3 more systems. icon_smile.gif

Not sure if "liking" this was appropriate, but having been in similar situations many times, wanted to say that I feel your pain (extra 4A's or not, it would be a "string-of-profanities" moment).

Once had a hard drive I installed (badly) into an old Atari SH204 case catch fire and nearly burn the house down...the wife was not amused.(neither was I, I lost a 40 Meg drive dammit!)

• Like 1

It does suck, but then again, I bought the system off eBay to do modifications. And, I knew when I bought it that the video didn't work properly. The keyboard also didn't work and I had a replacement to put in it.

I'm more upset that the F18 burned up an IC. That was the more expensive part and something I had hoped to put in another one. I still have to see if something is salvageable. The keyboard should be fine and I'll check the power supply. Might see if I can get another cheap one off eBay or somewhere to try again.

Once had a hard drive I installed (badly) into an old Atari SH204 case catch fire and nearly burn the house down...the wife was not amused.(neither was I, I lost a 40 Meg drive dammit!)

Yeah, I hear ya! What makes it more disappointing is that these things aren't being made anymore and it hurts a bit to know you've killed one more off! icon_surprised.gif

And the puff of smoke off the F18 did cause some swearing.