IGNORED

VecFever

TomSon

• 2 weeks later...

Put me down for one as well, with an LED if it's available.

Since you're not going to release your 3 included homebrew games as separate physical carts, would it be possible to at least release designs for overlays that might have come with boxed versions of the different games? Then it would be possible for one of the suppliers of custom overlays to be able to provide overlays for your 3 games to those of us who would be willing to pay for them. Or, maybe you could offer to sell a version of VecFever with the overlays? I know, more hassle, but it would be nice to be able to have overlays for the games (and a box, too, but I'd also like to be able to play these games in an orbiting space colony with Megan Fox so wishing has no limits, right?). Either way, looking forward to being able to get one of these carts!

Nice project, I would like to buy one, too.

Currently I'm running a Kickstarter campaign for a new game, and I was thinking about to store some information, like high score for lowest number of moves or best time. I've read in the help page of Vide that Robot Arena uses a DS2431 EEPROM. 1 kbit would be sufficient to store the data. Could you share the 6809 source code for accessing the EEPROM? Then I could already implement and test it in Vide and maybe use it for my cartridge as well. And then the backers of the binary version only, but who already have your cartridge, can use all features of the game with it.

But I might just detect the type of cartridge and then just use my existing PIC to store the data instead of an extra chip on my cartridge. Is it possible to detect your cartridge at run time from a Vectrex program? Then I would need just one ROM file.

Wouldn't it be possible with your ARM microcontroller to use the internal flash of it as well for storing and reading data from a Vectrex program?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice project, I would like to buy one, too.

Currently I'm running a Kickstarter campaign for a new game, and I was thinking about to store some information, like high score for lowest number of moves or best time. I've read in the help page of Vide that Robot Arena uses a DS2431 EEPROM. 1 kbit would be sufficient to store the data. Could you share the 6809 source code for accessing the EEPROM? Then I could already implement and test it in Vide and maybe use it for my cartridge as well. And then the backers of the binary version only, but who already have your cartridge, can use all features of the game with it.

But I might just detect the type of cartridge and then just use my existing PIC to store the data instead of an extra chip on my cartridge. Is it possible to detect your cartridge at run time from a Vectrex program? Then I would need just one ROM file.

Wouldn't it be possible with your ARM microcontroller to use the internal flash of it as well for storing and reading data from a Vectrex program?

I've given the DS2431 code to Malban for his Release/Quappe - so those tested DS2431 source files are in the Release source code.

The code can also be developed/tested via VIDE already. If that's not enough PM me - I myself use a custom VecFever cart. where

I can download and test new 1-wire code+hw immediately. Most of my games are 64k but at the same time use a 1-wire setup

for storing/loading options/scores - that's possible if the data accesses to the 2nd bank are rare and esp. a lot faster than

access time of the 1-wire chip.

VecFever detection is simple - there's a communication structure that flags to the VecFever what type of features

one wants - e.g. 0-7fff read/writeable, or load/store capability, or LEDs etc. - and the VecFever, if present, sets an 'I exist' flag

in there. I could store inside the ARM chip itself also - not on the drive - and did just that on related projects of mine

but for the VecFever it doesn't make sense.

However, I have implemented an abstraction layer using overprovisioning and delayed erasure of blocks so storing on the drive

is near-instant and safe long-term since I only erase a block when I absolutely have to and shuffle those blocks around.

It's a .lot. faster than storing on a DS2431, for example.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...