IGNORED

VecFever

TomSon

Correct...I've actually had a VecFever for well over a week now. However, I was able to get mine through a mutual acquaintance. I won't lie, it cost me... a lot. More than any other flash cart I own in fact.

Basic price of the cart is 99 euros. In my case with shipping etc...and the current conversion rate at the time it ran me just over $150 USD in total. It is very easy to use as you just plug it in via usb and it will appear like a flash drive in your system. You create the folders you want, stick the rom files in there and it just sees them when you power on the cart in your vectrex.

However, on my cart and a few others, the Bad Apple demo runs very very chopping in parts and due the Buzz Off! kits we have installed in our veccy's the digital audio from the demo isn't audible. So that part is sorta a bummer as I suspect the choppy operation is due to slower flash being used in the final carts that were made.

• 2 weeks later...

Just fixed up my Vectrex, and discovered some amazing stuff has been going on, especially Rocks 'n Sauscers, and the deluxe version, and VecFever with Vector Mame support (Is that Zektor compatibility, or a new Mame patch?)

How can one go about getting a VecFever?

It seems that VecFever support of Vector Mame is preliminary and relies on an extra USB port. Is this an option for the VecFever?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I assure you he is replying to PMs, but there is a lag. Patience is a virtue, and the VecFever is worth it!

(It took about three months or so for my PM to catch up to him.)

Could you please tell us what date you first PMed and how recently you got a reply?

It seems due to the lack of people posting that they got one lately that the rumours there are no more being made might be true.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I can say I've got reply some 60 days after my request, and Thomas told me there are still "some" vecfevers available - without shell.

We are both located in Europe so the transaction and shipping went straight and smooth.

Thomas is a very nice guy, but i guess also a very busy person...

now the vecfever is in my hands and I can say it does all the things it's supposed to do!

It's a pity that there are so few roms to put on it, though...

I strongly encourage developers to make available their work in rom format! :)

Edited by sprazzi

now the vecfever is in my hands and I can say it does all the things it's supposed to do!

Have you tried the bad apple demo on it? It would seem that on mine and a few others with VecFever carts that the demo works, but we can barely hear the audio from it at all and it stutters quite massively to boot. I've seen the stuttering before when I had issues with the bad apple demo on the 5200 Utimate SD cart. I corrected it by using a faster speed SD than what the cart came with. But since the VecFever uses flash ram inside it, there isn't a way to change that. But that is my guess on why my VecFever and others have the stuttering issue. As for the lack of audio it would seem that is due to us using Buzz Off Kits! in our Veccys to remove the buzzing. Oddly enough I also have a Vectrex Audio Tap installed as well that provides a line out audio to connect to a receiver or through headphones. NO audio at all from the Bad Apple demo can be heard through that device either. Now if you crank up the volume on the veccy itself, you can barely make out the audio through the subtle buzz that still exists even with the buzz off kit in place.

So it seems the bad apple demo is only audible if you have a 100% original buzzing veccy and that it is using that buzz effect to produce the audio in the demo itself.

Still for everything else it seems to work excellently. I haven't gotten games that feature saving of high scores to work though and that could be due to how those games originally worked and I'm not entirely sure that is a feature the VecFever is supposed to still support. It is easily to use compared to the VecMulti as it doesn't require the use of a menu utility or anything to have the roms show up. You just copy them over as you want to the VecFever and they are there.

A Quick reply from my phone:

It is correct.

I tried the vecfever with my no-buzz unità (serial 31xxxx) and the bad Apple demo plays with no sound (but no stuttering ...?)

With a buzzing vectrex It plays Just fine though....

High score feature seems to work even with original game Roms...

I.e. scramble even shows the original title logo graphics in the hi score screen.

Edited by sprazzi

About the stuttering - Thomas said to me:

"The stuttering was already in the source material, in the original video file - I have made the data
then similar to Malban (in the VIDE emulator blog), hence his name at the beginning"

The sound will only work on buzzing vectrexes, like all demos that use this sampling method.

High score saving is working for the original games - it also works for Karl Quappe!

from the FAQ file:

"The cartridges that are patched, if enabled, are:
Armor Attack, Berzerk, Berzerk debugged, Bedlam, Clean Sweep, Frogger, Gravitrex, HyperChase,
Moon Lander, MineStorm 2, Fortress of Narzod, Pole Position, Rockaroids Remix, Rip Off, Scramble,
Space Frenzy, Spike, Spinball, Star Castle, Solar Quest, Star Hawk, Star Ship, Star Trek, Verzerk,
Web Warp, Web Wars, Wormhole

Additionally, Thrust’s 1-wire load/store routine will be substituted with a VecFever version."

Edited by pucpuc