IGNORED

VecFever

TomSon

PM sent a month ago asking about VecFever and the Asteroids port, but haven't heard back yet. He's probably swamped with requests. The VecFever would be nice for the high-score saves and the possibility of running true Vector games on Mame down the road, but what I really would like to get is the amazing Asteroids port (and the Asteroids Deluxe port). Is there any way to get those without a VecFever?

The VecFever would be nice for (...) the possibility of running true Vector games on Mame down the road,

THomas told me that this feature at the moment is only experimental and implemented on just few peculiar boards only given to friends (the ones who show up on youtube).

It is not present on current vecfever boards (mine, for example)

Edited by sprazzi

Could you please tell us what date you first PMed and how recently you got a reply?

It seems due to the lack of people posting that they got one lately that the rumours there are no more being made might be true.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Certainly. I PM'ed him on the 10th of February and heard back on the 11th of May, so in my case at least it was just about exactly 3 months. He did however express that he is quite busy so I'd expect that time to drift.

Also, I too suffer from laggy Bad Apple, but its not merely stuttering but a full three seconds of frozen video while audio continues, leading to a desynchonized remainder. I have an unmodded Vectrex, and most of the demo works perfectly with excellent audio (relatively), is just out of sync. Has anyone found a workaround to this issue that doesn't involve replacing the flash chip with a faster variant?

Cheers

Thanks for that G4meBoy I messaged him on 13th March so it will be four months soon.

I have been following this thread since he started it but made the mistake of thinking there would be a general release so I didn't bother him with a PM earlier.

There is a small chance he could still get to my message but I am starting to lose hope.

The way I got mine was through a mutual buddy who had already received one from Thomas through a trade deal. So basically it was through a broker of sorts?! LOL Not really but it seemed that way. I was also told that Thomas really didn't intend on the VecFever being quite so popular and really designed it as a development tool for new programmers. As a result, It would seem that maybe Thomas got burned out quickly from his own creation. On the Bad Apple demo slowdown being caused by the flash speed itself I don't know for sure. I just know that the 5200 bad apple demo was very laggy until I thought about using a faster speed rated SD card. But since the VecFever is all integrated as it is, I have NO plans to open it up to see. It really isn't that big a deal as pretty much everything else I've loaded up on it seems to work just fine minus my not figuring out how the high score saving works on the games that support it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI to all those asking for a VecFever, TomSon replied to a PM of mine saying he is out and may or may not make more in the future. Looks like this project is on hiatus for a while!

I was getting that feeling... I messaged him over four months ago, and the message still hasn't been read yet. :P Dang. Still hoping.

FYI to all those asking for a VecFever, TomSon replied to a PM of mine saying he is out and may or may not make more in the future. Looks like this project is on hiatus for a while!

Would be interesting to know how many VecFevers have been produced and shipped to people. A pity that excellent games like Dodge 'Em, Robot Arena, and The Core which are part of the VecFever are available to some people, only.

In addition, Richard isnt making the VecMulti anymore either. :(

Right, no good. :-) ATM, the only option for a flashable cartridge is Mateos multicartridge.

Edited by hcmffm

It just totally amazes and disappoints me that he would go to all that effort to produce these great games and hardware and then not let people have them.

I get that he doesn't want to spend time making and selling but why not give that job to someone else?

Why start this thread and then stop posting with no explanation? He should have kept it as his own secret project if he didn't want to share.

The way it stands now with a select few having them and showing them off sucks big time :(

• Like 1

It just totally amazes and disappoints me that he would go to all that effort to produce these great games and hardware and then not let people have them.

I get that he doesn't want to spend time making and selling but why not give that job to someone else?

Why start this thread and then stop posting with no explanation? He should have kept it as his own secret project if he didn't want to share.

The way it stands now with a select few having them and showing them off sucks big time :(

The gist that I got from him is that the VecFever was always meant to be a development system, and not just another flash cart. I think in his posts he was actually pretty clear about that, and that the games were just something he was "throwing in" for good measure.

What I don't think he expected was the high demand for it outside of it's intended purpose. No only were some of the games pretty damn cool, but then he went an threw in a bunch more that you can't get anywhere else either (at least I think you can't get).

And I gotta say, the support for the LED and its interaction with certain activities of the board, let alone how it integrates into some of the games, pure icing on the cake (he was cool enough to add the LED for me as I cannot hold a soldering iron physically).

Put that bad boy in a clear case and its just as fantastic as you've seen in the videos.

The fact that you can use it as a flash cart is just another bonus, as opposed to just using it to test works in progress.

Lot's of projects get started, stopped or abandoned altogether for any number of reasons, but its always good to hold out hope that he decides to continue this one and eventually everybody can get one.

• Like 1

Another person showing off how good theirs is.....thanks for that we are all very happy for you.

Um, no, you completely missed the point of my post.

I'm sorry you weren't able to get one, but neither were a lot of people, and complaining about it to those of us that did isn't going to change anything.

I waited over a year to hear back from him, by the way.

• Like 1

If he's not going to make any more, it would be awesome if he made the schematics and code open source so others could make them. It would really help the Vectrex community! But at the end of the day, it's his invention and project and he can do what he wants with them. Oh well, I'm hopeful that he'll do another run this winter. Fingers-crossed!

Edited by mattsoft
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear the designer is not active at this time.

He has heard from me that his games included on his hardware are top-of-the-line perfection, and that I would personally pay around $60 for each of them. They are that good.

He told me that his game is pure Vectrex code and not something that needs his hardware.

I am unclear if he was referring to one of them being native code, (I asked about the Asteroids because it was so accurate), or all of them.

I wouldn’t dismiss not ever getting the games in the future.

I also respect authors and designers and make it a point never to annoy or bug them.

(Respect is important.)

He has this thread, his friends, and his customers should he come back to this, or wish to make his games or hardware availabe for others to create.

• Like 1

The games do exist on standalone cartridges for a lucky few that were given them, albeit without the high score saving I believe, and a little cut down due to fitting into 32K size. However sadly plans for marketing them as titles was shelved, and the only real way to get them is to own a VecFever.

The games do exist on standalone cartridges for a lucky few that were given them, albeit without the high score saving I believe, and a little cut down due to fitting into 32K size. However sadly plans for marketing them as titles was shelved, and the only real way to get them is to own a VecFever.

The standalone versions do save high scores by the way.