IGNORED

VecFever

TomSon

Making the bases wasn't cheap. I guess you're going to make a few as proof of concept, work on the project, gauge interest (there was certainly a lot!) and see how the initial batch sells before thinking of continuing. Except the two guys fell out before any were totally complete and ready to roll, so that nixed any sort of continuation on the project past what had already been produced. Can't say if the offer to buy them had been extended more widely they would have sold quicker, given the price, but seeing how many Radpads have sold to date, and they were not much cheaper to buy than the price I paid for the one you referenced, then maybe price isn't a factor here.

That’s my plan. I’m thinking price isn’t really a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

VecFever Firmware update to 1.15.

Sort of an early XMas present from Thomas. This time it features the addition of a static binary compile of Asteroids.

Yes, now the ORIGINAL Asteroids on vectrex!

(also FAQ update to v1.7, STL files to make a vectrex stand (sideways - thx Kiwi!)).

All viewable / downloadable at:

• Like 3

Can I pay someone to show me their VecFever?

We could meet at a private residence or workplace or arcade or wherever will allow it, throughout the Rust Belt or North Atlantic U.S./Canada, where I intend to be traveling next month.

If desired I could bring my repro 3D Imager and a couple distinctive controllers, an additional Vectrex or two, overlay collection, AtariVox+, beer, pizza...

• Like 2

I want someone to please show me their Vecfever also.

We can meet in the dark alley behind my local pub. Don't bother bringing a Vectrex I already have one.

PM to discuss meeting time etc.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I would be happy to join this meeting. I really enjoy dark alleys when Vectors will be involved.

• Like 2

The asteroids is just stunning, been hard keeping it a secret testing it. :P Not a flicker or stutter to be seen, the rocks just glide across the screen.

good day.

So the question, then, is whether it's better than RnS? As the latter is native 6809, albeit without a dedicated Vector generator, possibly it could be better than the original 6502 game. As I'm on holiday now, I can't test, but what do others think? Edited by D-Type

So the question, then, is whether it's better than RnS? As the latter is native 6809, albeit without a dedicated Vector generator, possibly it could be better than the original 6502 game. As I'm on holiday now, I can't test, but what do others think?

Would be unfair to even try to compare them, both are impressive and fantastic pieces of programming with 2 different goals in mind.

good day.

• Like 1

I prefer Asteroids over RnS. I like the smaller small rocks.

That being said, RnS is amazing! And if Asteroids had never happened for the Vectrex, I would've been completely satisfied. Thomas is clearly a diehard Asteroids fan.

Darryl

PS. I wish EVERYBODY could have a VecFever. It saddens me that so many people crave it and can't have it. I hope one day there are enough for everybody.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

LL is cool and all, but I really can't wait till Battlezone comes out! ..or so I heard through the grapevine anyway. :/ Guess we'll see on the next fw update. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battlezone battlezone? Or do you mean Stramash Zone:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279190-stramash-zone-for-vectrex-available-now/

Yeah, battlezone. Judging by vectrexmad's post the gag order has been lifted. :P

Just another impressive undertaking by tomson. The "stramash mode" came in some later versions and is pretty slick, but I like the vectrex on its side for games like this. I plotted out some shapes and cut myself a custom overlay based on original scheme for horizontal mode.

I wish that stand was better thought out, after receiving my print I ended up making one out of some 1/8" mdf, 1"x2" and some screws.

good day.

post-64843-0-88076700-1550534242_thumb.jpg

post-64843-0-29439200-1550534255_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the stand I came up with. The height of the stand was dictated by the center of the screen when in vertical mode and also added a tad of kick back so the screen points at face better. Basically the center of the screen is at the same height whether it's in stock vertical mode or on the stand in the horizontal position (giggidy). I've been hammering through some ideas in my head for a fold able version.

good day.

post-64843-0-28210500-1552786136_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it really is a slick set up. The original test vids from malban 6 months ago really got the loins tingling, tomson dropped some bread crumbs on me about a month ago and I upgraded my cart. Did tests with a full desktop but wondered how small could I go with it. Loaded the drivers and vecmame on a $80 windows tablet with the mgalaxy front end a small bluetooth kb and can speaker. Been testing a fw that adds the Atari driving controller "spinner" support for the og spinner coin op games and newer image calibration settings options. Just visually jaw dropping fantastically fun stuff.

good day.

Thats really impressive.

Someone told me at the DoReCO last weekend here in Paderborn, Germany about the possibility to play games via MAME with the VecFever.

He bought his VecFever already with that Upgrade-PCB installed.

My VecFever needs that Upgrade too... :-)

Do you get that little PCB directly from Thomas?

Edited by productof76

So - I thought real hard before posting this. Mostly, because there are a lot out here on the outside looking in, and less so due to the shame and indignity it took ($$) to get where I am today. But, I figured the possible benefits that may be reaped in letting Thomas know the joy his game(s) can bring to the arena and the nutty lengths people will go to to that end would outweigh the sadness that this post may bring to some. For, maybe if he knows, then he will be further swayed to produce that next run that so many (including myself) desire. Today, I got to taste Robot Arena in cart form (but a mere piece of VecFever), and it has proven as enjoyable as I would have hoped. With such a limited distribution I feel an initial review of my first few play(s) is not called for or even fair, but I will share one take: Beyond the obvious Robotron comparisons, I couldn't help but additionally sense at least some small comparisons with Minestorm. Particularly, the prioritizing of the attack plan on screen opening. Minestorm on a clock. Just another nuance blended in with the other great features of this game. Today was a good day. Receiving this game made my other acquisition of the day {finally tracking down a working Turnin Turbo :sleep:} get shoved into a storage container to be "enjoyed" at a far later time.

post-48636-0-15832700-1554949228_thumb.jpg

• Like 4