IGNORED

Assembling and Linking workshop/move with vasm and vlink

In Belboz's workshop zip file there's a "move" example which moves a Jaguar logo around the screen. The attached tarball lets you assemble and link it using `vasm` and `vlink` instead of the more traditional methods.

I'm having a lot of fun getting these workshops and other sample codebases to work with the new assembler and linker.

No idea what the license is on Belboz's tools. I'd like to include a LICENSE file in this tarball, but can't yet.

• Like 1

Well done!

Please let me give you a small suggestion. You define a STADDR but this address is never used.

This can be done with parameter -Ttext $(STADDR) but this will be ignored by the linker, because you are using the jagsrv format. In this case you have to define your own linker script, otherwise vlink uses an interal linker script which looks like

SECTIONS {
    . = 0x4000;
    .text: {
      *(.text CODE text)
    }
    . = ALIGN(32);
    .data: {
      VBCC_CONSTRUCTORS
      *(.data DATA data)
    }
    . = ALIGN(32);
    .bss: {
      *(.bss BSS bss)
      *(COMMON)
      _BSS_END = ALIGN(32);
    }
  };

In case your code should run in the rom area $80200 you can move the text segment. But be aware to move data and bss segment in the ram area $4000. Than pass this new linker script with parameter -T

Greetings,

toarnold

Edited by toarnold
  • Like 1

Well done!

Please let me give you a small suggestion. You define a STADDR but this address is never used.

This can be done with parameter -Ttext $(STADDR) but this will be ignored by the linker, because you are using the jagsrv format. In this case you have to define your own linker script, otherwise vlink uses an interal linker script which looks like

SECTIONS {
    . = 0x4000;
    .text: {
      *(.text CODE text)
    }
    . = ALIGN(32);
    .data: {
      VBCC_CONSTRUCTORS
      *(.data DATA data)
    }
    . = ALIGN(32);
    .bss: {
      *(.bss BSS bss)
      *(COMMON)
      _BSS_END = ALIGN(32);
    }
  };

In case your code should run in the rom area $80200 you can move the text segment. But be aware to move data and bss segment in the ram area $4000. Than pass this new linker script with parameter -T

Greetings,

toarnold

Such a good catch. Thanks toarnold! Since I'm fine with the `jagsrv` format, I'll probably just remove the unused Makefile variable.