IGNORED

Why do I need an XBOX 360?

SRGilbert

Hello gang. I don't post in the Modern Gaming board, well, ever. The most recent consoles I own are probably the PS2 and Wii, if that gives you any idea.

Anyway, on a whim, I bought an Xbox 360 set this weekend at a yardsale. It's a 2010 "S" model in black with a 250 GB hard drive, 2 MS brand wireless controllers with a charging stand, a Connect and a few games for $45 total.

I'm a lifelong classic gamer who mostly likes arcade style games. I don't play sports games, and FPS games like Halo don't hold much interest for me either.

I need a reason to put this in the rig.

Do I need an Xbox live account to use this thing?

Considering there are well north of 1,000 games, I don't think you'd have an issue finding something to play. As you would expect for one of the best selling, longest lived consoles of all time, just about every genre is well covered.

You don't need a paid Xbox Live account unless you want the "free" games every month or want to play online. Otherwise, it's just good for occasional discounts on digital purchases.

Thanks!

Another question, it's telling me to update it. Is there any downside to doing this? I know with some consoles, you can do some interesting hacks depending on the current OS installed.

I'm not aware of any downsides. It will basically stop you from being online if you don't update. As for 360 hacks, I'm sure they're out there, but I'm not personally aware of them. Not my thing.

I think if you update your 360 you'll have a harder time hacking it (should still be possible though), but in general the system is a total pain in the rear to work with as it cannot be softmodded. Even the simplest mods require you to modify the internals in some way. I don't think there's much you can do with a softmodded 360 that you can't do with a softmodded OG Xbox anyways, so it's not worth the effort.

Edited by Noah120

I think if you update your 360 you'll have a harder time hacking it (should still be possible though), but in general the system is a total pain in the rear to work with as it cannot be softmodded. Even the simplest mods require you to modify the internals in some way. I don't think there's much you can do with a softmodded 360 that you can't do with a softmodded OG Xbox anyways, so it's not worth the effort.

I was wondering about that too. Back in the day, I was ALL about the soft-modded OG Xbox. I think at one point I had at least three of them throughout the house for media streaming. Since then I've transitioned to using cheap laptops and PCs and retired them all but one. I don't really care about playing pirates, and if you can't run Kodi or at least easily run emulators, hacking doesn't seem to have much point.

If you only got it a week before...

Anyway, there are plenty of retro games for the Xbox 360. Many of them had deep discounts on the Xbox Live store... last week. But you'll find lots of stuff that should fit the bill, including classic game collections and software with a retro feel.

You don't need an XBox 360 but you got the best model possible at a very good price so you might as well make the most of it.

The games won't break you either. Many can be bought for as little as a few pounds and even the less common games won't cost much more than £20. The system has gone out of fashion so now is the time to pick up the gems before it becomes "retro" and the prices go up.

• Like 1

If you only got it a week before...

Anyway, there are plenty of retro games for the Xbox 360. Many of them had deep discounts on the Xbox Live store... last week. But you'll find lots of stuff that should fit the bill, including classic game collections and software with a retro feel.

What happened a week ago?

• 3 weeks later...

If your 360 has the blades dash then you might consider not updating it. It can be jtagged.

I loved the blades dash!! I bought an old Halo Limited Edition 360 last year and hoped that it had the blades dash, but no luck.

Is there a way to take an old Xbox 360 and put the blades dash on it?

Is there a way to take an old Xbox 360 and put the blades dash on it?

When a 360 is updated it blows efuses so there's no way to downgrade. I'm not aware of any work-arounds having come about but I don't keep up with the 360 mod scene as much as I do the OG scene.

I loved the blade dash, so simple and clean. I just don't understand the fascination with the crappy "wanna be a tablet" is they got now. How many menues do I need for the same crap? Add to that all the adds, or worse, the tons of "can't hook to live" crap everywhere if you don't go online.

To the original poster, you don't need a 360, but it has some advantages. Of course, the biggest is games, well north of a thousand mark for physical releases. Games are old enough to be cheap, but not quiet to that collect it to collect it state yet that drives up prices. Games are more complete out of the gate, you don't need internet to make everything work, especially with older titles (some newer ones may still need updates though) and its still new enough that it still gets online support for games if your into that. If you have Xbox live you still get games for it and the Xbox one if you use the same profile, that's a hell of a deal. Its a great net box if you got a 'dumb' TV, and likely still has a few years left in that regard. Its the last gen of consoles that can still work with an older TV low or high def (many hdcrts look great but lack HDMI) your friends may already have a huge collection of games you could borrow, trade, or buy. Pprobably more stuff too.

Edited by Video

If you wanna mod it,this should be of tremendous help.It tells you the various hacks that can be done and the pros and cons of each,as well as what hacks can be done with what model 360 and OS.http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/jtag-rgh-r-jtag-xbox-360-ultimate-exploit-guide.804054/

Edited by RetroKingGamer