IGNORED

New Donkey Kong PK batch

tep392

• 2 weeks later...

I sent out 18 carts this morning. I'm trying to get the rest shipped this week. I'm sending them out in the order that people paid. If your cart went out this morning then you should have a tracking number in paypal or PM.

Edit:
27Jun17 4 more carts shipped

01Jul17 7 carts shipped. 6 to go. :)

Thanks for your patience!

• Like 7

I got my copy a few days ago. Wow this thing is really good. The mud pie factory looks so good,it really brings a smile to my face knowing that the Atari 7800 has all 4 stages now,and they look and sound great. That pokey chip is doing some sweet things. I find myself playing on the novice version though,arcade a.i. is abit too aggressive so I'm just right on novice setting. Its really awesome that you can play between U.S. and Japanese settings to alter the board order. Just having these options is awesome for old school Donkey Kong fans. Tep392 you really outdid yourself. This is probably my favorite version of the game now. Its just so much better than he original release. Well done!

Kosmic Stardust,your video looks better than mine. lol. I'll be putting my video up later this week. I think I did abit too much cropping plus I zoomed in abit too much as I see allot of color bleeding going on. I guess thats the price to pay for shooting with a phone and zooming in abit much. Nice video you shared.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

I never played the original DK on 7800 until after playing PK version. What I can tell you is the PK is a major upgrade to the game. Sound, graphics, levels, etc. This is very good remake and well worth the purchase. Novice difficulty is perfect for home console type play and arcade is just like the arcade.

• Like 1

I have a lot of people asking for Donkey Kong PK so I'm starting another batch, but the POKEY's are hard to find cheap now which has driven the price up to $65 + shipping for the cart+manual. I've sent PM's to everyone on my list and will build a few extra. PM me if you want in.

Also, I'll give a $15 credit towards your purchase if you send me a doner Ballblazer cart.

Thank you!

TEP

Sorry to be new to the forum (only a few months) and POKEY market conditions, but the POKEY crisis puzzles me. I've heard people suggest to others to buy a replacement POKEY chip from various sellers, although the threads are a couple years old. One member said he has a large stash of POKEYs. Were all of these coming from 5200's and ballblazers or why the need for using Ballblazer carts for POKEY harvesting...or why were people suggesting buying from dealers if they cost more than the ballblazer cart. Just wondering about the nature of the POKEY crisis.

• Like 1

Sorry to be new to the forum (only a few months) and POKEY market conditions, but the POKEY crisis puzzles me. I've heard people suggest to others to buy a replacement POKEY chip from various sellers, although the threads are a couple years old. One member said he has a large stash of POKEYs. Were all of these coming from 5200's and ballblazers or why the need for using Ballblazer carts for POKEY harvesting...or why were people suggesting buying from dealers if they cost more than the ballblazer cart. Just wondering about the nature of the POKEY crisis.

Dealers are likely harvesting the Pokey chip from Ballblazers or pulling them from junk 8-bit or arcade hardware. One source quoted $20 a piece. So they have to factor in labor for desoldering the chips in addition to the cost of the game. I'm honestly surprised Ballblazer prices have not spiked more than it has in recent years.

Another thing is people need Pokeys to service old arcade machines, 8-bit computers, etc, and those devices often use the I/O pins on the Pokey chip in addition to the audio, and will not work properly with the Hokey replacements. There is no source of Pokey chips other than cannibalizing existing hardware, so the Ballblazer carts are low hanging fruit. When Ballblazer finally hits Commando prices on the resale market, then the supply for making repros will have been officially tapped out. Commando is quite uncommon and a good game so I hope nobody destroys those too.

Batari also designed the Hokey replacement (piggyback IC with microcontroller taking over the audio portion of the Pokey hardware) and the Concerto (7800 flashcart) and seems to be quiet recently or shelved the projects due to family/family/health or whatever else in life is more important than hobbies.

This may have been asked before, but is it possible to manufacture Pokey chips?

No. There is a replacement being developed called the HOKEY but it is slow going. So until the Hokey is done you will have to find old Pokeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tep, can you also let me know if/when any more become available?

Thank you.

I've added you to my list which is now at 6. I'm considering building these to order instead of doing them in batches. I'll buy a supply of boards and chips minus the POKEY. If someone want to order a cart they can send me a POKEY chip or a Ballblazer cart. The cart is preferred because I can use the shell. I'll post details if I decide to go this route.

• Like 2

I have everything I need to build more carts but no POKEY chips. If anyone wants to order a cart they will need to send me a POKEY chip or a Ballblazer cart. The price will depend on which one you send.

Price includes shipping in the US.

$56 with POKEY chip doner

$52 with Ballblazer doner

Send me a PM if you want one. If your outside the US, I'll let you know how much the extra postage will be.

Thanks!

TEP392

• Like 1

I would like to express my interest in this. I have no Ballblazer cart (or will Commando work??) but I will start to look for one. What an outstanding project that I was not aware of! Bravo!! If you can make more, I am interested! What a showcase for the 7800!

I can’t claim to be any sort of Donkey Kong expert… but here is what I know: I have been playing the NES version regularly for 25+ years and could stay alive for quite a while… when I finally died it was because I would get cocky or careless. However this never translated into good performance at the arcade, where I **might** make it to the elevator stage @L3. This on the other hand is a completely different story. As far as I can tell, Donkey Kong PK plays like (and my performance is roughly equivalent to) the arcade and it looks and sounds excellent. Thanks for the great game tep392 and all who contributed!

--DiscoDr.Bones

• Like 4

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm glad people can appreciate and enjoy the difficulty inherent in replicating the arcade version. I personally get more satisfaction by getting a good score on this game then I do on the easier NES and 7800 versions. Like getting to the conveyor belt screen on the US order game for the first time was an acheivement.

Thanks again. :)

• Like 1

Been playing this a lot lately and love it!!

Quick question and an observation: Any chance this could be re-coded to support the Atarivox to save scores to rather than (or in addition to) the HSC?

The manual states the game has all 4 screens, including the 'pie factory'... but later by the scoring section, refers to them as "sand piles". Never heard that one before! lol I do remember referring to that stage as the 'cement factory' BITD though, but called them pies in later years. I wonder when/why we switched? :lol: