IGNORED

Is it time for another Wikipedia update?

Omega-TI

• 5 years later...

I noticed tonight the TI Extended BASIC entry, which is just a sparse section of the TI BASIC page, mentions nothing about its ability to use 32k, LOAD assembly language programs, PEEK memory, advanced screen I/O via ACCEPT AT and DISPLAY AT, &c.  It also erroneously states that XB includes additional system resources for sound handling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I mean where did that come from did they just make that shit up in their heads whoever wrote it?

I guess you could consider transferring a sound list into VDP RAM via CALL CHAR and then being able to trigger the ISR with a CALL LOAD "new system function," but it would be a stretch.  Otherwise, yeah, I think someone just pulled it out of thin air.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I mean where did that come from did they just make that shit up in their heads whoever wrote it?

Not uncommon for Wikipedia. 

Edit: Oh. CALL SPEECH.

If you don't know anything about the system, and hear Extended BASIC adds support for speech... you'll think that Extended BASIC by itself adds the capability to speak.

It's entirely possible someone rephrasing something they read conflated the Speech Synthesizer and Extended BASIC and thinks they're the same thing.

Edited by JB
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

Why not edit the Wikipedia entry then? Get an account, and improve the article. We have all the relevant experts in this forum.

Because people will just change it back to what they think they remember.

I spent about a year maintaining it. Wasn't worth it.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Tursi said:

I spent about a year maintaining it. Wasn't worth it.

Is there no way to confer with a moderator and get edits locked out?  Like, if one particular user or group of users is contributed bad information, to get them locked out of the page?

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Is there no way to confer with a moderator and get edits locked out?  Like, if one particular user or group of users is contributed bad information, to get them locked out of the page?

There are mechanisms, but I became pretty disillusioned with Wikipedia. I don't really like the way they run it and chose to walk away.

• Like 2

I listened to some folks talk about the problem of fixing Wikipedia  statements about themselves, or their own work. Where no published sources exist—so none cited. (Yet the writer presumed to know stuff.) 

We brainstormed about ways to get their history recorded, reviewed, and published.

Then, it became much more exciting than trying to right a wrong on the internet.

Yeah updating wikipedia can be a pain. Few years ago I updated some height/weight details of a Rugby player (I had a breakfast cereal players card with his details on it). I had scanned the card in and uploaded to my website, so I could use it as a reference on the wikipedia article (was trying todo the right thing not updating stuff without some sort of proof). Because the domain of my email address matched the domain of my website, the update was rejected (something like self promotion). I think I got around it by using a different email. Just sometimes lacks common sense.

51 minutes ago, palmheads said:

Yeah updating wikipedia can be a pain. Few years ago I updated some height/weight details of a Rugby player (I had a breakfast cereal players card with his details on it). I had scanned the card in and uploaded to my website, so I could use it as a reference on the wikipedia article (was trying todo the right thing not updating stuff without some sort of proof). Because the domain of my email address matched the domain of my website, the update was rejected (something like self promotion). I think I got around it by using a different email. Just sometimes lacks common sense.

yeah this is pretty much what happened with my changes