IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

Here is the latest version of the KR2600 design document. Several facets of the game have evolved into a more rigid plan.

The HIDEOUT concept has changed the most. Instead of a 3-tier "Keystone Kapers" plan, the HIDEOUT is now something more kin to "Karateka", or "Kung Fu", retaining the stealth elements from "Metal Gear". The proposed "camera" beams have been ditched in favor of "patrolling" HENCHMEN that the player must hide from, or fight. This is closer to the original concept, and it works better. There is also a lifebar for the player.

The game will feature (3) Episodes. There are (3) GOONs to interrogate per Episode.

The Dangers for DRIVING MODE have been figured out. The added Highway "cones" give the player a heads-up for dodging or Turbo Boosting obstacles.

The Savage Team has proposed a 32k ROM for the final product.

And, Team has proposed (3) new monikers for the Game, if indeed the Knight Rider name is not attainable. We would also ditch the hopes of moving 1,000 of these without the name, and limit the production of carts and Joypads to batches of 100.

A) Night Ride B) Lone Crusader C) Shadowy Flight

Suggestions by the 2600 Forum for a new Name are welcome, as are any comments of the Game's formula. Enjoy!

Thanx Everyone

James "HardWork" for the Savage Team

• Like 1

If you ever manage to finish the game: Kitt's Quest

Kitt's Quest? Are you sure about that? Kinda sounds like an off-the-wall RPG to me.

You need something that screams action for a game like this.

As for the Knight Ryder proposal... too close to the original form of the title. But why not just Ryder? You lose the "Knight" part of the title, and it still looks pretty good. Has that action feel to it, y'know?

32k is much more realistic. Absolutely no way you're going to fit all that into 8k.

You're wasting your time writing a design document before you've programmed the 2600. 2600 games must be designed around an intimate knowledge of the system, and reading through the Stella Programmer's Guide a couple of times doesn't qualify. Even having released two major homebrews, I still often have to try ideas out on the machine to determine if they're really possible on the 2600. I spent a lot of time mapping the memory and planning every aspect of my RPG map engine beforehand, and even then I ran into some serious problems once I started coding.

-Paul

A) Night Ride  B) Lone Crusader  C) Shadowy Flight

Suggestions by the 2600 Forum for a new Name are welcome, as are any comments of the Game's formula. Enjoy!

I think you should use all the letters from "Knight Rider", but just rearrange them to make something else. Everyone will know what it really is.

"DIRT GHERKIN" comes to mind - hey, you could even make the car a sort of long bumpy green thing... and the driver could be pickled (well, most of the time). His mission could be to.... errr.... uh.... uh.... to...prevent people from discarding the pickles out of McDonalds Quarter-Pounders.

First, of course, I'm going to contact McDonalds just to make sure I can use their quarter-pounders in this game. They're intellectual property. I've done all the calculations, and estimate that one in a million quarter-pounder eaters will also own an atari 2600 and want to buy my game, so given that there are 24 billion served, that makes - um.... 24,000 units.

Actually, maybe McDonalds could give my game away as one of those 'toys' for kids-meals. This could become the revival of the '2600 - and I could sell MILLIONS of units.

Or not. Probably not.

Cheers

A

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looks like you don't have a chance of making this game playable on the 2600. If you do, hats off to you as it would push the system farther than it's possible to go.

EDIT: I don't think you should bother positing about this homebrew idea anymore until you have a playable demo ready.

(not to say that his few bad mock ups that dont even TRY to pay attention to the rules of 2600 at all are exactly possible as drawn, but really, quite possible it terms of what he wants to get done game wise,)

lets have a look-see, shall we?

ghostbuters has a nice map, title screen, music, driving screen, item purchase screen and side view ghost combat screen. heck 2600 KR could just be a GB hack away... (very doubtful tho, as it would require a LOT of skill,)

the side scrolling fighting could look good

s_KungFuMaster_3.png

or not so good (depending on coder skill (well assume none since this is their first game,)

s_ChuckNorrisSuperkicks_2.png

and the driving could look like this

s_StreetRacer_1.png

or this...

s_SpyHunter_4.png

of course we know on-screen text is do-able

s_DarkMage_3.png

and somewhat detailed title screens are not in the realm of impossibility (great a8bit game btw,)

s_MastersOfTheUniverse_2.png

(in the hands of a good programmer)

Bah, When I was a kid my friends and I used to draw 2600 games on graph paper. They were of course impossible to actually program on the 2600, but they did keep us occupied and quiet for hours which I suppose was a good thing. At this point I'm guessing HardWork is either an 11 year old who is for some reason very excited about Atari, a troll playing a bizarre game or maybe even a person with a mental disability.

I'd take CPUWIZ advice Hardwork, Quit yappin about this altogether until you can post a playable demo. Read through other threads where people have released games in the past, They give a status and usually include a demo or photo's. You're descriptions and moc-screen shots aren't really that impressing. The least you could do is throw a bologna sandwich in there to make them humorous.

And the slave labor continues, pulling and heaving on this immovable stone block....

Hey, it moved an inch! Look at that!

We've lost count of the downloads, disassembled files and Begginer's guides that's been studied....eylids...heavy...must..sleep...(snort) Huh? Sorry, my brain's been hurting latley....

I actually had a dream about Andrew's CD-ROM 2600 theory, visions of astounding light sources and 3-D rendering on the VCS (NO WAY! NO WAY! I shouted at that wicked display, then woke up.) :D

The countdown clock is coming along OK, and the title screen sorta resembles the above graphic (half purple screen, half brown)

If not for the Team, and the abundance of on-line help, it wouldn't be even this far.

Andrew, Paul, Thomas, & others: my respect for your accomplishments grows every day, and with every headache that I get from the learning curve. I feel like a blind woodsman, ya know? But its coming, slowly. Hey, if we can move that stone block an inch, then why not finish the journey of 10,000,000,000 inches? PULL, men, PULL!!! :twisted:

Back to work....

Thanx everyone, comments on the above formula are welcome...

James for the Savage Team

• Like 2

Mildly edeted I see all the concept screenshots as possible. The one of the car is a little to smooth, remember, background pixels only run 40 pixels across the scree.

However, using a text sprite to draw the car, can't a text sprite be 48 pixels wide? Making a smaller, but perfectly smooth kit car.

The pic of Kit driving down the road, and cars driving buy, that's completely doable, as long as they stay 8 pixels wide. Sure, the red light on kit would be harder to do, but I figure, a red ball, or missile with the black sprite overlayed could give kit the red light without causing flicker as long as there's not more than two sprites in a row, and syncing is good enough to keep the ball/missile in the same place under kit even when moving.

The two guards would have to be done kung fu style (Both from the same side in the same position, mirrored or something) I doubt they'll have multi colored hands, again, possible if you use balls or missiles for the hands (how many of those can you do on the screen at once anyways?)

Other than that, he seems to have an excelent grasp of what's possible on the 2600, even limited the backgrounds to two colors for the most part. (the houses would have to be huge sprites and all one color I'm afraid, if you have the guy walk around on the screen) Either that, or the grass would all have to be one color.

the one pic with the houses on the cement with the green devidergrass could be done with a huge sprite as the grass and the trees on it done with the other two background colors.

The game seams to be very possible, and I figure someone can learn programming in 3-4 years if they seriously try. I wish you luck. I may take a hand at trying to build the wheel and send you a proto of it if you don't mind.

• 2 months later...

Yes, but have you done any coding or have made any movements toward that direction? That's what you'll need to split the concept from the actual project in progress.

Until you have at least some part of the project for display, whether it's an actual part of the game running, or just some initial code, it's still merely what it is in the beginning: a concept. :ponder:

Good luck to you, all the same.

• 2 months later...