IGNORED

List of chronogaming/library completion projects (reviews, longplays, etc.)

More updates:

• I added GameCube Chronology Challenge, a review project located on a Dutch-language message board, though with English translations of the first 19 entries available at another site;
  • I updated the Game Boy Color "beat-'em-all" entry at NintendoAge to reflect that a new thread has been started for 2018;
  • and in the inactive projects section, I added a GameCube review series on YouTube, GameCube Index (aka GCNdex), which I just learned about but unfortunately ended last year after 81 entries. Too bad, as it looked promising and comprehensive (it covered Japanese games).
I think I also added a couple of failed Twitch projects in a recent update, but I don't recall exactly which ones. Either way, they're there now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Added a new Twitch/YouTube project, Beat the Game Boy by Zenic Reverie, and updated the entry for grannen_hiro's Project Game Boy to note that he reached his (first?) goal of beating all 136 Scandinavian releases for the system. (It appars he'll be continuing to play more Game Boy games, though for now he's going to play through the 21 games on the SNES Mini.)

So, one Game Boy project on Twitch reaches its goal successfully -- always nice to see -- and another active one joins it on the list.

Added a bunch of new links:

Plus a couple of failed projects that haven't been updated in years.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I just discovered Dugongue's NES Completion Challenge, which is very close to completion, and have added it to the list. He's got 689 games done as of this writing, so there are only a handful yet to go.

I'm surprised I overlooked such a successful effort! If anyone knows of any other projects that should be in this thread, please let me know.

(P.S. I wonder why there's never been a "Can AtariAge beat every Lynx/Jaguar/Atari 7800 game" effort here? No, I'm not offering to run it, though I would participate.)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, author of 16 Bit Chronicles here. Thank you for the share! I really appreciate it. Hopefully getting the blog up and running again on a more consistent basis, but thanks for the "slow and steady" shout out. I tried rebranding the site to "Games in Order" but apparently that was impossible to find online, so we are back to good old https://16bitchronicles.blogspot.com/. Thanks again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 16bitchronicles said:

Hi, author of 16 Bit Chronicles here. Thank you for the share! I really appreciate it. Hopefully getting the blog up and running again on a more consistent basis, but thanks for the "slow and steady" shout out. I tried rebranding the site to "Games in Order" but apparently that was impossible to find online, so we are back to good old https://16bitchronicles.blogspot.com/. Thanks again!

Happy to do it! I'm glad you posted, as I was wondering where the old site had gone to (I check your site a couple times a week). Do I understand correctly that you're, in effect, relaunching the site (with a slightly new layout) and reposting the previous reviews?

And yes, "slow but steady" is definitely meant as a compliment -- so many of these efforts start out like gangbusters, but then burn out just as suddenly, and go on permanent hiatus. It's always nice when the commitment is maintained over the long haul. :) Sega Masters is another one that's been really good about continuing over the years; I wish his videos got more attention.

My YouTube channel is not a chronogaming one, but I do have a few personal side goals for it, such as covering every DOOM and Castlevania game in the form of a longplay or live playthrough. These are tracked via various playlists here (DOOM) and here (Castlevania). I'm working on a few others as well over the years, like covering as many versions of Ys III I can, all the traditional style Mega Man games, so on and so forth.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Eltigro said:

There's a YouTube channel called PandaMonium that is reviewing every NA released Saturn game in order of release.  Pretty enjoyable reviews, too, I think.

Awesome -- I love finding out about projects that weren't on my radar at all. Thanks for the link!

• 4 months later...

Nice trend happening lately, as GCNDex and FamiThon have returned. Both projects had self-canceled a while back despite putting out a ton of videos, but both are now back in business, with FamiThon putting out a video about Volleyball today.

I also want to give a shout-out to Sega Masters, which is almost done converting its old blog entries into video form, and has covered a few additional games besides, putting it about 2/3 of the way through completing the US library. That series deserves more attention than it's received -- the creator's clearly put a lot of work into it.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm pleased to report another completed project, as Turbo Views has now covered every North American release for the TurboGrafx-16. Congratulations to spida1a on his achievement, particularly since it took over a decade and yet maintained a very consistent standard of production and quality.

In other news, I recently discovered the existence of this document on Google Docs --

Challengers Doc: 2021 Edition

-- which reveals that there are far, far more Twitch streamers doing library completion/"beat-'em-all" challenges than I had realized. Not sure how I'll use that information in terms of maintaining this thread, but for now, if you're looking for Twitch streamers doing the whole library for a console or system, definitely check out that Google Doc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, thegoldenband said:

which reveals that there are far, far more Twitch streamers doing library completion/"beat-'em-all" challenges than I had realized. Not sure how I'll use that information in terms of maintaining this thread, but for now, if you're looking for Twitch streamers doing the whole library for a console or system, definitely check out that Google Doc.

Yeah, for better or for worse. In an endless sea of retro streamers that are competing for attention, it's a direction some are moving towards in an attempt to stand out. Heh. Best of luck to them, I guess.

Going to miss Turbo Views on YouTube, by the way. Been watching that for nearly the entire time it's been around! Definitely got misty-eyed on that last episode, haha. :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Did some modest cleanup of the list, moving some inactive projects to the inactive list, updating the annual message board-based projects, and adding a couple successfully completed challenges for the TurboGrafx-16/CD (Rishary) and Virtual Boy (Linkums, dating back to 2014!).

Also nice to see the return of Swan Song after a long hiatus. If you're at all interested in the Wonderswan, I urge you to check out Yanik's concise and well-made videos.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

A brief update to add Famidaily by Rod Stranger, which I just learned about recently. He's doing video reviews of every Famicom game, and is up to 770 completed -- one heck of a feat!

Also noting the disappearance of the Inconsolable Nung blog, and the retirement (or at least long-term hiatus) of the 16bit Chronicles SNES blog. Sorry to see them go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Leatherrebel5150 said:

I didn’t see it on here unless I missed it. But Glenn Plant did reviews of the N64 library and finished a couple of years ago I think

https://youtube.com/@n64glennplant

Appreciated very much -- I'll add it soon! It's really weird that he seems to have stopped just short of a full North American + PAL review set. I got curious when I saw he had only 280 videos up instead of the expected ~303, so I checked, and as far as I can tell these are missing:

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
All-Star Baseball 2000 / All-Star Baseball 2001 (he has "series" entries for some sports franchises, but his All-Star Baseball '99 review doesn't seem to serve that purpose)

Blues Brothers 2000
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Glover
Hey You, Pikachu!

NFL Quarterback Club 98 / 99 / 2000 (same issue as All-Star Baseball)
Paper Mario
StarCraft 64
Tonic Trouble
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

I wonder why he skipped those?

6 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

Appreciated very much -- I'll add it soon! It's really weird that he seems to have stopped just short of a full North American + PAL review set. I got curious when I saw he had only 280 videos up instead of the expected ~303, so I checked, and as far as I can tell these are missing:

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
All-Star Baseball 2000 / All-Star Baseball 2001 (he has "series" entries for some sports franchises, but his All-Star Baseball '99 review doesn't seem to serve that purpose)

Blues Brothers 2000
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Glover
Hey You, Pikachu!

NFL Quarterback Club 98 / 99 / 2000 (same issue as All-Star Baseball)
Paper Mario
StarCraft 64
Tonic Trouble
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

I wonder why he skipped those?

Im not sure. I thought he had everything as I do remember watching through all of them at some point. Maybe some got taken down from youtube for some nonsense copyright strike?

8 hours ago, Leatherrebel5150 said:

Im not sure. I thought he had everything as I do remember watching through all of them at some point. Maybe some got taken down from youtube for some nonsense copyright strike?

That could be! Are you in touch with him at all? I see he hasn't updated the channel in a year, but has an active Facebook page. I don't have the bandwidth to do it but it'd be great if someone could reach out to him and find out whether those reviews were copyright-struck, never done, intentionally skipped, or are forthcoming.

In the meantime I've updated the first post to add N64 Glenn Plant, and have cleaned house a bit with some inactive sites.