IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

May I ask why you selected a PS/2 interface for keyboard input when all modern keyboards are USB?

Adding a few USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports to this CollectorVision Game System has many advantages that go way beyond having the ability to add a USB keyboard. This system is suppose to be able to emulate a TI99/4A computer. A third party programmer could make a driver for a USB Laser printer, USB floppy drive, etc. In addition, the USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 port is much more powerful than the ColecoVision expansion module interface. If a very knowledgeable hardware developer spent the time, they might be able to develop an external ColecoVision expansion port that connected to the CollectorVision Game System by using a USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 port. Basically it would be an external box with a expansion port that had a USB port on the other end. It would be a massive amount of work to get the hardware to work with the operating system.

My point is at least one or two USB 3.1 or USB 3.0 ports should be included for a USB keyboard and possible future hardware that could be added in the future. The USB port is much more powerful than the ColecoVision expansion module interface. Also a third party programmer might want to have this system emulate an ADAM computer if the firmware can be updated by anyone.

If it support the Driving Module, it will works with out Paddle Controller :)

It opens opportunity for alot of games actually!

Remember that the Expansion Module #2 includes a bay for Player 2's controller, and the keypad is used a lot by games like Dukes of Hazzard and Destructor...

If you were to sell your paddle controller separately, Burn Rubber would make a great pack-in game. ;)

I like.

As I recall

- It'll fit into a traditional Colecovision case as a drop in replacement.

- reads actual colecovision cartridges

I'm certainly willing to buy a complete in case systems . I hope to just buy some boards so I can put in a a couple of non working systems as well.

f18a?

I'm hoping I can use the original colecovision joysticks.

I'll be buying some of the final product for sure. Great job Brian & collectorvision

Unlike ataribox we can show our early prototype system working ;) (from GameOn Expo)

attachicon.gif20170812_110501.jpg

This is also a FPGA system, so running a mame emulator is not likely. With this being an open source project, it shouldn't be hard for someone to port the arcade games that have been ported to other FPGA systems to our board.

And the board is exposed with a cart plugged in too (unlike some 'other' systems)!

• Like 1

My question is how the plug for the Roller Controller will be handled. Will some sort of adapter be needed to supply power to it or will it be plug-compatible with the old CV plugs?

I would expect that a mouse will be supported via the PS2 connector located in the front expansion port. That will cover the trackball aspect, and a couple of buttons. Not sure how all 4 red buttons would be supported with that setup. Maybe just plug a Super Action Controller in port #2, and use all 4 buttons that way?

What is the maximum resolution of the graphics card on the CollectorVision Game system (also what version of HDMI will be used)? I know both the Sega Master system and ColecoVision have all their existing games with a resolution of 256 x 192. The latest version of HDMI is 2.1 with HDCP 2.2. If the BIOS in the CollectorVision Game system had an advanced graphics mode than special ColecoVision games that would only run on the CollectorVision Game system could be made. It would be really neat to have ColecoVision games that had higher resolution with native 16:9 screen ratio. While 8K and 4K resolution is capable with HDM 2.1, with all the 4K Ultra HD flat panels on the market with HDR, it would be neat if a ColecoVision II mode could active high dynamic range with much greater graphics for those that want to play special advanced games.

I realize this system will ship with a standard ColecoVision firmware, but in the future a more advanced ColecoVision II BIOS could be created to access the full capabilities of the HDMI graphics chip.

What is the maximum resolution of the graphics card on the CollectorVision Game system (also what version of HDMI will be used)? I know both the Sega Master system and ColecoVision have all their existing games with a resolution of 256 x 192. The latest version of HDMI is 2.1 with HDCP 2.2. If the BIOS in the CollectorVision Game system had an advanced graphics mode than special ColecoVision games that would only run on the CollectorVision Game system could be made. It would be really neat to have ColecoVision games that had higher resolution with native 16:9 screen ratio. While 8K and 4K resolution is capable with HDM 2.1, with all the 4K Ultra HD flat panels on the market with HDR, it would be neat if a ColecoVision II mode could active high dynamic range with much greater graphics for those that want to play special advanced games.

I realize this system will ship with a standard ColecoVision firmware, but in the future a more advanced ColecoVision II BIOS could be created to access the full capabilities of the HDMI graphics chip.

Again, I'll let Bmack36 answer the technical quiestions

But let me say this....

What do you mean exactly by advanced graphics?

I mean, the Colecovision can already produce high quality graphics and on a plain vanilla colecovision system

We don't plan to add more power or graphic capabilities to the existing hardware

That's just not the point of the CollectorVision Game System

Our system is made to fit an original Colecovision case meant as a replacement board for your existing system

We're also planning to offer replacement system shell as well (colored, transparent)

As for the Colecovision BIOS, we already have a works in progress of our BIOS

See attachement

post-11933-0-56960300-1514669790_thumb.png

• Like 4

As for the Colecovision BIOS, we already have a works in progress of our BIOS

See attachement

While I understand your desire to change the default font, would it be possible to have a user selectable option in the new BIOS to switch between the original and the new fonts? There's something about the old font that screams that this is a ColecoVision and as such I have a great fondness for it.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

Remember that the Expansion Module #2 includes a bay for Player 2's controller, and the keypad is used a lot by games like Dukes of Hazzard and Destructor...

If you were to sell your paddle controller separately, Burn Rubber would make a great pack-in game. ;)

True,

Our main goal is to have the Spinner Controller for future homebrew projects though

Although, we're working on All-in-1 controller solution (Spinner, Trackball, 4-buttons/joystick and keypad)

Speaking of pack-in game, or should I say pack-in games

we're planning to include a couple ones ;)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

While I understand your desire to change the default font, would it be possible to have a user selectable option in the new BIOS to switch between the original and the new fonts? There's something about the old font that screams that this is a ColecoVision and as such I have a great fondness for it.

Really?

I thought people would want to have the regular arcade fonts

Coleco did used the Exidy fonts for the CV, for some reasons.....

But hey, I'll certainly consider this! :)

Does or could this future console have some sort of pause button ?

I guess we could, but is this something we really needs?

Could be used for the former cartridge releases (most of them anyway)

But nowadays, homebrewers have the option to add a pause button to their games

Remember, the more we're adding to the CVGS, more expensive the final system will be

We've to keep things tight

Edited by retroillucid

I honestly was going to write this exact same thing...and then I scrolled down to see Ikrananka got to it already! :P

The new font looks good, but for example seeing it in Zaxxon, to me that doesn't look like "ColecoVision Zaxxon" it looks like "someone's hack of ColecoVision Zaxxon" which is still cool, but if I'm making a video for social media, I'd want the content of the video to look as close to the original as possible for consistency sake.

• Like 1

I use the pause button on my modded CV quite regularly. I guess the better you are at the games, the longer each game play session may last and there is then the call of nature to contend with :) Just kidding, I'm crap at most of the games, but I do actually use the pause button a lot, mainly when I want to take another drink of beer :)

• Like 1

We can always go back to original fonts if that is prefered

Not a problem for me :)

I would also prefer the original BIOS font. While I will admit it's not the prettiest font, every time I see an alternate BIOS font while playing a ColecoVision game under emulation, it makes me go "Ugh? That doesn't look right..."

I would also prefer the original BIOS font. While I will admit it's not the prettiest font, every time I see an alternate BIOS font while playing a ColecoVision game under emulation, it makes me go "Ugh? That doesn't look right..."

Alright then, let's go back to the original fonts!

See, hence why it's important for all of you to give your inputs/ideas :)

• Like 2

I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm becoming more and more interested in FPGA based clones. The main thing I'm confused about is the Digital and Analog video outputs. I get that this unit and others like it can output HDMI like anything else, but if you choose to use composite, S-video, or RGB on a CRT, will it display in 240p and behave as the original consoles would? To me the draw of FPGA clones is the ability to use a 1:1 hardware clone on a CRT.

• Like 2

May I ask why you selected a PS/2 interface for keyboard input when all modern keyboards are USB?

A few questions regarding controllers:

1. Will it be compatible with the Roller Controller and the Driving Controller?
  2. Will it be compatible with the Atari 2600 paddle controllers when the Atari 2600 is added to the FPGA core?

Very excited for this - keep up the great work :)

The PS/2 interface was used since there was already support for it built in. USB would be much harder since there is no dedicated microcontroller with usb functionality built in. In order to keep the costs down we decided not to have a companion microcontroller.

My question is how the plug for the Roller Controller will be handled. Will some sort of adapter be needed to supply power to it or will it be plug-compatible with the old CV plugs?

The plan is for the Roller controller and driving module to be supported although it may require the power input harness from a donor cv to provide power to the roller controller.

Does or could this future console have some sort of pause button ?

I don't think there is a plan to have a physical button for pause, but it might be possible to use a key combination or keyboard key to accomplish the pausing.

It should be possible to load different versions of bioses/fonts, if people have a certain preference.

• Like 2