IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

I am glad this is a officially licensed ColecoVision game system. You might want to consider calling it a ColecoVision II so that people know it is different and in some ways better then the original. If this project becomes a reality and if it operates like advertised, then the hardware/software engineers should get some type of gold metal or some type of reward for doing this project.

• Like 1

I am glad this is a officially licensed ColecoVision game system. You might want to consider calling it a ColecoVision II so that people know it is different and in some ways better then the original. If this project becomes a reality and if it operates like advertised, then the hardware/software engineers should get some type of gold metal or some type of reward for doing this project.

I believe getting paid for it (I mean via sales) would be a good start ;-)

• Like 2

I'll buy it. I'm really pleased that it supports f18a graphics. That will make it much easier for having a setup for testing f18a graphics in development. My real coleco works great but is often not hooked up as it takes tyoo much desk space.

I hope I can still use my original controllers. I might be one of the few but I still like them as they were.

I'll buy it. I'm really pleased that it supports f18a graphics. That will make it much easier for having a setup for testing f18a graphics in development. My real coleco works great but is often not hooked up as it takes tyoo much desk space.

I hope I can still use my original controllers. I might be one of the few but I still like them as they were.

Yes Original controllers will still work

Who is this officially licensed status from and what is the benefit of that? Is it simply the use of the name, or does it have to do with some hardware compliance to insure compatibility with other Colecovision products?

The license is for the use to use the Colecovision name, logo, and a set of games.

The license is for the use to use the Colecovision name, logo, and a set of games.

This is what is confusing me. I would assume any games are licensed from their respective owners/creators, but It's my understanding that the Colecovision name is in the public domain and is entirely legal to use by independent developers based on years of established use in the marketplace. I would hope you're not muddying the waters of that standing by validating a brand squatter in their attempt to establish commercial ownership or licensing rights to the name. That can have unintended consequences for the rest of the community.

• Like 3

Question: you say that all SGM games can be played on the system, but also that SGM is not being built into the system. Unless you're providing an expansion port for the SGM, how will the SGM games be fully playable as intended on your system?

I'm very interested in your system, and have been following your updates, as well as Opcode's updates on his system in development. What I'm looking for is a new, more reliable system that will play all the old CV cartridges, all the homebrew carts, and all the homebrew SGM carts.

This is what is confusing me. I would assume any games are licensed from their respective owners/creators, but It's my understanding that the Colecovision name is in the public domain and is entirely legal to use by independent developers based on years of established use in the marketplace. I would hope you're not muddying the waters of that standing by validating a brand squatter in their attempt to establish commercial ownership or licensing rights to the name. That can have unintended consequences for the rest of the community.

RWB can claim the trademark of names of some games like they claimed the coleco vision trademark.

Question: you say that all SGM games can be played on the system, but also that SGM is not being built into the system. Unless you're providing an expansion port for the SGM, how will the SGM games be fully playable as intended on your system?

I'm very interested in your system, and have been following your updates, as well as Opcode's updates on his system in development. What I'm looking for is a new, more reliable system that will play all the old CV cartridges, all the homebrew carts, and all the homebrew SGM carts.

From Facebook:

CVsgm

RWB can claim the trademark of names of some games like they claimed the coleco vision trademark.

That is to say, in a highly questionable, illegitimate or invalid way?? Despite their efforts to strong-arm other people using the trademark(s) prior to their indefensible claim to it, there is strong precedent that others have as much or more right to use it based on demonstrated marketplace use prior to their claims. I'm not interested in stirring a tempest in a teapot, but if someone is contemplating paying RWB for something they don't have valid claim to, they'd just be adding legitimacy to a fraudulent claim.

• Like 2

Isn't this old news? I thought they worked something out the next day so the CollectorVision console could use the SGM in some way, shape or form.

You are correct, there is an expansion in the back to plug in the SGM. I misread Bry's question, I thought it was strictly asking if the SGM would be built in. My bad!!

"Jean-François Dupuis We do have an expansion port on the back that will let you plug your SGM .......and more 1f609.png;)"

• Like 1

You are correct, there is an expansion in the back to plug in the SGM. I misread Bry's question, I thought it was strictly asking if the SGM would be built in. My bad!!

"Jean-François Dupuis We do have an expansion port on the back that will let you plug your SGM .......and more 1f609.png ;)"

This itself is intriguing, since if it can use the SGM by expansion port, can it now use expansion modules 1 & 3??? Or is it using a minimum of contact pins that prevents the other two from working?

BTW someone now needs to make an expansion port splitter/switch box so I can keep both my SGM and EM1 plugged in at the same time.

So it looks like the name of this product has been officially changed from CollectorVision Game System to ColecoVision video game system. The name change should be more popular and should generate more sales. However since it is more powerful then the original 1982 ColecoVision one might want to call it a "ColecoVision II".

Edited by HDTV1080P

So it looks like the name of this product has been officially changed from CollectorVision Game System to ColecoVision video game system. The name change should be more popular and should generate more sales. However since it is more powerful then the original 1982 ColecoVision one might want to call it a "ColecoVision II".

The official name is: ColecoVision™ HD Video Game System

Or just: Colecovision™ HD

Who is this officially licensed status from and what is the benefit of that? Is it simply the use of the name, or does it have to do with some hardware compliance to insure compatibility with other Colecovision products?

Our system is licensed simply because no matter what happened, I will ALWAYS love the Colecovision brand

For me Colecovision is what it was in the 80s, good memories, great gaming moments etc.

Our system is a Colecovision replacement console, so it's definitely a Colecovision console, hence why we wanted to use the CV logo

Coleco Holdings/River West Brands have NOTHING to do with our console, they are NOT involved at all other than licensing us the ColecoVision name/logo and a few original games

The Colecovision™HD is completely made and manufactured by CollectorVision Games Inc.

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 3

I wouldn't think RWB has anything that might be required for coleco vision compatibility. E.g. Coleco vision bios