IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Again, I was mostly joking about the $60 thing. I go to Japan for my other business (theme park stuff) but only go to retro gaming stores on the side when I have time. I usually hit up 3-4 stores when I'm there. I may very well pick up a half a dozen or so on my next visit and then offer them here for pretty much what I pay for them (I'm not actually a price gouger! lol) but I wouldn't want to take orders simply because I'm not sure what I'll have time for when I go.

You'll be doing the community a great service if you do this. :)

(I already have one, by the way.)

If you are interested in a joystick controller you should check out Edladdin's super cv controllers. I hear they are really nice. https://edladdin.com/Super-CV-ec-1-005.htm

Although nothing has been finalized, the idea was to do a gamepad style controller that will work on the original system as well.

The controller would not be part of the system. It would just be a new product that is made available after the system is taken care of.

Unfortunately, from what I've read in these forums, he doesn't offer his joystick controller with the joystick on the right and the buttons on the left :?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, from what I've read in these forums, he doesn't offer his joystick controller with the joystick on the right and the buttons on the left :?

Aaaaaand yet another example of how you'll never be able to please everyone when making a controller! :grin: ;-) ;)

I've always wondered: if he had chosen right-handed joystick as the default in the ordering page, if only four out of 80 people would have chosen left and then dropped the right-handed option. It was the reverse in actuality. But his sticks have enough perks and I am ambidextrous enough to play left-handed. Too much of the standard 8-bit controllers always makes me regress back, though. I can always use gamepads better with my left hand on the dpad/thumb stick, though.

I'll be back in Japan in a few months. I'll pick up a few more and I'll be happy to sell you one for $60! :P

By all means, Ill take a few if you have a spare suitcase! I never completed my brown Nintendo Famicom data controller, as after I took it apart, my housekeeper may have thrown away the D-pad piece and a few buttons. I do have the logic board replacement from Atariguy1028, and I want to test to see if this controller is more comfortable.

That said, has anyone compared the differences? Sorry to detour this a bit, but controllers are important!

And I am all for a comfortable gamepad. Joysticks work for some games, some of the time. A D-pad is far more functional for many.

I will have to resurrect my thread on games that play extremely well with the D-pad.

Why not?

I am pretty sure you've got them all already running (the differences between CV and say MSX, SG-1000, SORD M5 are skin deep).

I would assume for many of the same reasons why the MiniNT didn't support all those other consoles at launch, either. While on the surface to you, things make only look "skin deep" but I can tell you as someone who spent most of my life working on games especially when new consoles were introduced, there are a lot of little issues that will come up that you don't foresee until a few more units get out there in the wild. I know this is a bit more apples to oranges in my comparison, but I'm going to assume that CollectorVision is going to be spending all the time they possible can getting "ColecoVision" as perfect as it can be without any issues for launch, because that's the whole point of this machine, and once it's shipped and any post-shipment issues are addressed and taken care of, then they can work on support for those other consoles.

tl;dr - It's called "focus." And personally, if the console shipped with several issues with the ColecoVision emulation while at the same time supporting all those other consoles, then IMO, I would say they diluted their focus. But that's not what they are doing and I support that decision.

• Like 1

It's just an update which you can flash yourself I assume. I think we can wait til later and get the working system now and out first. The coleco portion is the only part really interesting up front to me but I eventually would like the other systems as options too.

Everything takes time and to push it back another year for optional systems is not necessary as long as they can be added later.

Why not?

I am pretty sure you've got them all already running (the differences between CV and say MSX, SG-1000, SORD M5 are skin deep).

• Like 2

Adding new (existing) core to the system is probably the easiest part
Hence why we're focussing on getting the Colecovision part done right in the first place
You got to remember that we're doing our very own core here, not an existing one
We're adding new features wich is why we're focussing on the CV part first and foremost

Then, when the system is fully done, we're going to start working on the new controller.
This is definitely the hardest and challenging part, getting a reliable and confortable controller everyone will enjoy

On a side note....

Last week, we were at the Game on Expo in Arizona, we've asked Pat the NES Punk to step at our booth to try the CollectorVision Phoenix system.

I guess we wanted to show him our system is 100% legit ;) :)

post-11933-0-67866800-1534797851.png

• Like 4

Official announcement!

CollectorVision & Opcode have come to an agreement!

The SuperGame Module (SGM) is going to be built-in our system and officially lisenced by Opcode!

That mean, the CollectorVision Phoenix is going to support ALL ColecoVision games, including the SGM games!

More informations here:
https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/colecovision-hd-system/

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 25

Thanks, I will do that. So excited, a working Coleco is not an easy find in Appalachia. As a matter of fact, I've been to Huntington, Wv, Ashland, Ky, Columbus, Cincy and Dayton Oh and still haven't even seen a broken one.

$200

You can check the FAQs at the bottom of the page:

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/colecovision-hd-system/

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk