IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Does the Phoenix with the F18a option fix the flicker? I would assume it does, but I will ask this nonetheless.

As long as the game itself isn't programmed to explicitly flicker. If the game is programmed to only have 4 active sprites vs changing the order of the visible sprites, then the F18a wouldn't fix the flicker. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where this was done though.

No, that's sprite masking, not flicker.

It is necessary to switch the F18A into 4 sprite mode for the penguin spite masking to work (by removing jumper USR1). I'm guessing that sprite masking is bypassed/disabled when the F18A is in the 32 sprite mode - is that likely the case?

Apart from Antarctic Adventure, what other games are known to use sprite masking? I'd like to test them out in both 4 and 32 sprite modes to see if they behave in the same way.

It is necessary to switch the F18A into 4 sprite mode for the penguin sprite masking to work (by removing jumper USR1). I'm guessing that sprite masking is bypassed/disabled when the F18A is in the 32 sprite mode - is that likely the case?

You mean the programmer didn't just place 4 invisible sprites on the left edge of the screen to crop off the penguin's lower body?

Apart from Antarctic Adventure, what other games are known to use sprite masking? I'd like to test them out in both 4 and 32 sprite modes to see if they behave in the same way.

Can't think of any off the top of my head. The best way to find such instances of sprite masking would be to simply play games on an F18A-equiped ColecoVision (or on the Phoenix) and keep an eye out for graphic glitches. :)

You mean the programmer didn't just place 4 invisible sprites on the left edge of the screen to crop off the penguin's lower body?

I'm not a programmer and have no clue how sprite masking works. So, is what you said a possible technique that they used that would explain the observed behaviour between the F18A 4 and 32 sprite modes?

I'm not a programmer and have no clue how sprite masking works. So, is what you said a possible technique that they used that would explain the observed behaviour between the F18A 4 and 32 sprite modes?

It's a very simple technique: You place 4 invisible (i.e. completely transparent) sprites on the left side of 16 consecutive scanlines, and all other sprites on those scanlines will not appear, because of the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit of the ColecoVision's VDP. It doesn't matter if the sprites are completely transparent or not, all sprites are the same for the VDP.

Actually, I think it's not so much a question of placing these invisible sprites on the left side of the screen, but more a question of having those sprites appear before the sprites you want to mask in the sprite attribute table in VRAM. But that's the idea anyway.

Having all 32 sprites displayable on any and all scanlines makes using this masking technique impossible. That's why the Penguin's lower body is visible when it falls down a crack with the F18A (or Phoenix running in full F18A mode).

Edited by Pixelboy

It's a very simple technique: You place 4 invisible (i.e. completely transparent) sprites on the left side of 16 consecutive scanlines, and all other sprites on those scanlines will not appear, because of the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit of the ColecoVision's VDP. It doesn't matter if the sprites are completely transparent or not, all sprites are the same for the VDP.

Actually, I think it's not so much a question of placing these invisible sprites on the left side of the screen, but more a question of having those sprites appear before the sprites you want to mask in the sprite attribute table in VRAM. But that's the idea anyway.

Having all 32 sprites displayable on any and all scanlines makes using this masking technique impossible. That's why the Penguin's lower body is visible when it falls down a crack with the F18A (or Phoenix running in full F18A mode).

Thanks - I understand now.

Man, those labels really do make it look great!  I'm surprised you are able to put the words "Adam" and "colecovision" on there, but it really looks like it belongs, makes me regret picking the black early access model!  Anyway I can switch?  LOL  Seriously really glad you guys went with the full molded solution, the case looks so polished, like something I've have bought in one of the coleco retailers back in the day (for me in Ottawa, it would have been "Eaton's" or "Compucentre" at the Rideau center :) )

Nice to see it is shipping soon, we all can't wait! :)  What is still outstanding to be done that could hamper the shipping to the early access supporters?  IE: is the firmware now mature enough for early access?  do you have all the parts and manuals now so it's just a question of putting stuff together?

Edited by Loafer

10 minutes ago, Loafer said:

Man, those labels really do make it look great!  I'm surprised you are able to put the words "Adam" and "colecovision" on there, but it really looks like it belongs, makes me regret picking the black early access model!  Anyway I can switch?  LOL  Seriously really glad you guys went with the full molded solution, the case looks so polished, like something I've have bought in one of the coleco retailers back in the day (for me in Ottawa, it would have been "Eaton's" or "Compucentre" at the Rideau center :) )

I agree... The Adam model looks awesome!  I had no tie to it, so I chose the Black, I guess, classic version...

Went to Ottawa back in 1982 for a hockey tournament.  It was February, I skated the canal, it was a great time.  Ice Sculptures, Hot Chocolate... 

Hope it is still cold enough for those events!

1 minute ago, 1980gamer said:

I agree... The Adam model looks awesome!  I had no tie to it, so I chose the Black, I guess, classic version...

Went to Ottawa back in 1982 for a hockey tournament.  It was February, I skated the canal, it was a great time.  Ice Sculptures, Hot Chocolate... 

Hope it is still cold enough for those events!

Last winter was way too cold and too much snow so yeah still cold enough but that doesn't mean we like it LOL. However, beaver tails on the Rideau canal taste fantastic. Not sure if they were common or even existed back in 1982; you missed out!

Don't want to go off topic... But I remember a very good "fried dough" type food.  If that's what that is...

I am from central Massachusetts, Back then we could freeze the backyard to skate.  But now we have cold spells... That is, a few cold days in a row.

But if you do not have a lot of shade, making a rink in the yard is not really viable.  Though last year, we had a pretty good stretch of below freezing and no snow to ruin the ice.

But the hockey days are pretty much behind me now... LOL Plus, I am now allergic to the cold... No, Not kidding!

Back on topic...  If it is possible to switch to white....  Or get a discount on a second unit for us early adopters.. ;) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

We will be sending out emails to early access confirming order details and shipping. If you want to switch models for early access, just respond to that email saying which version you want to switch to.

Groovy. My take will be I don't want to pick an option that delays my system so let us know if one option has a downside like longer waiting period.

• Like 1

I think the model choice was an impossible choice for me at the time and I picked the Adam one because they were the same price as an early bird supporter, but the Adam was more expensive as a mass release, so I could save a few bucks if I get a second general release one. It looks like a good choice, that Adam art is very nice. It would be great to get an adam core, especially if it somehow works with some of these new digital peripherals. Always tempted to get an Adam but they are huge and high maintenance.

9 hours ago, Loafer said:

Man, those labels really do make it look great!  I'm surprised you are able to put the words "Adam" and "colecovision" on there...

Quick!  Start shipping these before Coleco Holdings lays down the IP hammer!!!

But seriously, they look absolutely amazing.  Outstanding work!