IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

4 hours ago, Master Phruby said:

So does this mean that if you didn't spend the extra $100 for early adopter that you have to wait six more months or will they be shipped shortly after the early adopters get theirs?

No, Early access are going to be shipped in about 2 weeks

Regular orders are going to ship in August (after the Game On Expo)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Is the Intellivision core based on Kevtris' work.  His is the only fpga Intellivision I'm aware of.

No, there are no open source Intellivision cores at the moment. These extra cores are still very early in the process, but most likely won't receive a lot of development time until the system is released.

4 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

No, there are no open source Intellivision cores at the moment. These extra cores are still very early in the process, but most likely won't receive a lot of development time until the system is released.

Is it for sure that the cores like Mame and Intellivision will be programmed for the Phoenix?

1 hour ago, lucifershalo said:

Is it for sure that the cores like Mame and Intellivision will be programmed for the Phoenix?

Nothing is ever 100%, but Intellivision is planned for development after the base system is ready. The arcade cores wouldn't be using MAME. Each core would be the hardware recreation of the actual arcade, not using a software emulation method. So the each arcade core would be specific to a specific game.

17 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

There are dozens of arcade machines that have already been done in fpga that can be ported over.  Here's an example.  https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Robotron_MiSTer/blob/master/README.txt

The intellivision has a number of ICs that are unique to the system.  Someone has to create those in FPGA.  The sound chip, or something close to it, should be available open source.  I don't think being opensource is a requirement.

Edited by mr_me

44 minutes ago, mr_me said:

There are dozens of arcade machines that have already been done in fpga that can be ported over.  Here's an example.  https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Robotron_MiSTer/blob/master/README.txt

Once the hardware schematics and architecture of the Phoenix will have been made public, I would expect that some knowledgeable people (aside from the guys of the CollectorVision team) will port those arcade games over to the Phoenix. The Phoenix will be a good outlet for those kinds of endeavours.

And because of the PS2 keyboard port and the Super-NES controller port (which could be used to plug in the Super-NES mouse) I would expect the same thing to happen with computer cores (Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, you name it) beyond the planned ADAM core. PS2 keyboards are getting increasingly hard to find, however, so I'm hoping there are plans to release an official keyboard for the Phoenix at a later date.

People knowledgeable in fpga aren't as common as computer programmers, and it will have to be done by someone that wants it on Phoenix and has free time.

There are thousands of ps2 keyboards on ebay; way more than people that want them.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

There are thousands of ps2 keyboards on ebay; way more than people that want them.

Perhaps, but do all those PS2 keyboards found on eBay work without any issue with the Phoenix? PS2 does not automatically imply plug-and-play, and some of these keyboards have a lot of extra keys that other keyboards don't.

If purchasing a PS2 keyboard off eBay is a throw of the dice where compatibility with the Phoenix is concerned, I'd rather have an official keyboard that's guaranteed to work, and that every Phoenix owner can order from a specific online store.

It sounds like this CollectorVision game system might ship in August with a ColecoVision and ATARI 2600 core. I hope that a Coleco ADAM core is also planned, especially with a nice looking white ADAM case. However if a ADAM core is not planned then it would make no sense to purchase the white ADAM case option. Sometime in the future I might be interested in purchasing the black ColecoVision case and white ADAM case (that is if a ADAM core is planned).

I believe they said it’s planned just not the focus right now.  Same with the arcade cores and possibly other cores (sms/max): planned just not the focus.

Launching the Phoenix and everything it entails (shipping, firmware maturity, labels, manuals, pack in game, etc) should be the one thing they fully concentrate on right now.  Imho of course :)

just an opinion but they have a keyboard port and they’ve created a white case with Adam wording so... ;)

• Like 1

Guys, give us some time to actually release the Phoenix first! 

I mean, of course we want to do multiple cores, but again we need to release the Phoenix first
We're a small team and those things take some time to make

Now ask yourself, why did they made an ADAM style case?
I think you have your answer... 

Just be patient guys
Awesome things are coming in the near future! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

It sounds like this CollectorVision game system might ship in August with a ColecoVision and ATARI 2600 core. I hope that a Coleco ADAM core is also planned, especially with a nice looking white ADAM case. However if a ADAM core is not planned then it would make no sense to purchase the white ADAM case option. Sometime in the future I might be interested in purchasing the black ColecoVision case and white ADAM case (that is if a ADAM core is planned).

Why the impatience and excitement for a core that has a tiny handful of original titles, many of which don't exactly sound exciting?  Geometry 1 & 2, States and Capitals, Flash Card Trivia.  Woo.  Hoo.  Who cares?  Clearly not me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Why the impatience and excitement for a core that has a tiny handful of original titles, many of which don't exactly sound exciting?  Geometry 1 & 2, States and Capitals, Flash Card Trivia.  Woo.  Hoo.  Who cares?  Clearly not me.

While I agree with you, 
I think the ADAM Computer still need to be preserved properly 

I myself never been into ADAM computer and I honestly don't care much for it
But I can understand the ADAMites who would love to see an ADAM core being made

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Might be a few more than than:
http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/00_csl.html

3 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Might be a few more than than:
http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/00_csl.html

Definitely more than the Wikipedia page but most are not games.  My personal favourite has to be "Address Book Filer with Autodialer".  Can't wait to check that out on my Phoenix.  Not! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Personally, I'm not impatient but I for one am excited for the ADAM core.  I too never had an ADAM but had originally really wanted one when I first bought my ColecoVision in 1983.  In fact the advertising for the expansion module #3 is what convinced me to buy a ColecoVision in the first place.  Alas, the ADAM barely appeared in the UK and I couldn't afford one at that time.  So, after all thee years I will finally get to explore the ADAM exclusive games such as 2010 The Text Adventure (I love text adventures) amongst others.  No there aren't that many games that I'm looking forward to playing but at least I'll finally get an ADAM fix having drooled over pictures of it way back in '83/84.  I've even bought an ADAM keyboard and adapter to hook it up to my ADAM coloured Phoenix.  Now where do you plug in that rather large printer?

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1