Standard SD card slot and cartridge slot
Load up rom files from the SD card

Beta systems have been shipped out.
Standard systems will ship out in October

Phoenix CV.jpg

Phoenix ADAM.jpg

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 35

Both would be backwards compatible but different going forwards?

Yes, correct

Unless they share similar capabilities in the enhancement department, two competing standards will result in marketplace fragmentation. Then someone will have to build a system that supports both potentially incompatible enhancement standards. Do re really need a VHS/Betamax style format war in the homebrew community? This is why you guys need to compare notes and create compatible designs.

• Like 3

Unless they share similar capabilities in the enhancement department, two competing standards will result in marketplace fragmentation. Then someone will have to build a system that supports both potentially incompatible enhancement standards. Do re really need a VHS/Betamax style format war in the homebrew community? This is why you guys need to compare notes and create compatible designs.

That makes a ton of sense to me as part of the target audience. It seems shared costs would be desirable on the business side also.

• Like 1

That makes a ton of sense too me as part of the target audience. It seems shared costs would be desirable on the business side also.

Although both systems will be colecovision compatible systems, they are focused on 2 different ideas. Opcode is focused on building up their SGM brand and New 16bit capabilities in a closed environment. My board is focused more on giving the community a better more reliable way to play primarily colecovision games as well as other systems like MSX, NES, and many more in an open source environment where more functionality can be added by anyone who wants and is able to contribute.

• Like 2

Although both systems will be colecovision compatible systems, they are focused on 2 different ideas. Opcode is focused on building up their SGM brand and New 16bit capabilities in a closed environment. My board is focused more on giving the community a better more reliable way to play primarily colecovision games as well as other systems like MSX, NES, and many more in an open source environment where more functionality can be added by anyone who wants and is able to contribute.

So it's an FPGA based board isn't it?

The NES CPU/PPU have been reversed eng but there are no off-the-shelf parts available to build them afaik

OpCode seems to be using real 80s tech, chipset and CPU included (maybe at much higher clock rate, switchable for backcompat).

The NES CPU/PPU have been reversed eng but there are no off the shelf part available to build one afaik.

OpCode seems to be using real 80s tech, chipset and CPU included (maybe at much higher clock rate)

The NES CPU/PPU have been reversed eng but there are no off the shelf part available to build one afaik.

Yes, My board is FPGA based.

• Like 2

Is it FPGA based?

Yes, My board is FPGA based.

Note to self: read the full thread before asking questions that have already been answered. :dunce:

• Like 2

The NES CPU/PPU have been reversed eng but there are no off-the-shelf parts available to build them afaik

OpCode seems to be using real 80s tech, chipset and CPU included (maybe at much higher clock rate, switchable for backcompat).

I don't think we are really competing here because we are focusing on different concepts. One is FPGA based. The other uses 80s tech with dedicated chips.

Prometheus offers CV and SGM compatibility in a single solution, and extends that with 16 bit quality graphic and sound. Those projects are all personal, and in the end Prometheus implements my take on how I believe the CV would have evolved.

I see both consoles coexisting nicely. The SGM and 16 bit part are exclusive to Prometheus (although Brian's console could eventually offer their own 16 bit feature set), while Brian's board offers the flexibility of FPGA and can run more platforms than just CV.

• Like 9

I don't think we are really competing here because we are focusing on different concepts. One is FPGA based. The other uses 80s tech with dedicated chips.

Prometheus offers CV and SGM compatibility in a single solution, and extends that with 16 bit quality graphic and sound. Those projects are all personal, and in the end Prometheus implements my take on how I believe the CV would have evolved.

I see both consoles coexisting nicely. The SGM and 16 bit part are exclusive to Prometheus (although Brian's console could eventually offer their own 16 bit feature set), while Brian's board offers the flexibility of FPGA and can run more platforms than just CV.

This is nice. I never owned a Colecovision, and was hesitant to get one due to the hardware related issues. The Promethius would make a nice first Coleco and if I didn't have to buy an SGM and would have full homebrew support, that would be nice. One concern is if you use vintage 5V logic chips to build your console, existing stock may become depleted in the future resulting in discontinuation and high prices on the secondhand market. This would also negatively impact the market for homebrew games available for it if supply of decades old NOS chips became an issue.

I am curious if the 16-bit component would run game off an existing Coleco Max flashcart, or if it requires additional bus pins or other hardware, etc making it incompatible. I enjoy testing WIP ROMs of homebrew games to determine if I like the game enough to buy a cart (if I like a game enough, I usually make an effort to get it on cart). Also will the 16-bit portion be comparible performance wise to 4th gen consoles such as Sega Genesis, SNES, Turbografx (and possibly Neo-Geo though that might be pushing it)? It will be important for a 16-bit console to have good 4th-gen like performance (actual 16-bit era performance and not just 16-bit in technical terms only like Intellivision) and simultaneously be easy to program for. I have heard specifically SNES 65C816 assembly as well as the custom audio chip is a pain to work with.

There will be lots of FPGA projects coming out of the woodworks. I own one which is the excellent AVS, albeit a one trick pony in light of Kevtris jailbreak NT Mini which is currently the most ambitious of the FPGA projects available. So I may pick up an NT Mini or Colectorvision FPGA board in the future if it gets lots of support and the price is right, or wait for the Zimba3000. I think the Promethius may also potentially be clonable on an FPGA board if it uses standard components which all have been mapped out.

My only concerns (and the same applies to Opcode's thingie) are as follows:

1. Is it reliable?

2. Is it fully ColecoVision compatible, or at least as CV compatible as reasonably possible?

3. Will it look nice in an entertainment center?

4. Is it reasonably priced?

It's hard to tell from the prototype, but what I'm seeing here already looks like an improvement from the stock ColecoVision PCB. It doesn't look like it'll support many of the CV's optional peripherals, but that's an acceptable loss if it keeps the price down. HDMI out is a very welcome touch.

Number 3 will be debatable, have you ever read a best looking console thread? ;)

Some will say it should look vintage, others a newer design and most will say it's a perfect mix of both.

As far as both projects take their distance from the Coleco squatter, I will support them.

If the Fpga is flexible enough, one could also implement full Prometeus compatibility later.

In case, you could think to a new common brand, say 'Coolecovision', and register it

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1