IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

A exclusive game cartridge in the system will be cool. Plus other official games sounds awesome that are built in. This will raise the cost of the system. Maybe this system might end up costing $300+ instead of $200+ because of all the included games.

I wish this CollectorVision system was open source so that a third party programmer could add their own computer or videogame core.

A exclusive game cartridge in the system will be cool. Plus other official games sounds awesome that are built in. This will raise the cost of the system. Maybe this system might end up costing $300+ instead of $200+ because of all the included games.

Not at all!

We're going to include some of our already been released games

Not at all!

We're going to include some of our already been released games

Ok so the included games will only raise the price of the system slightly. It is nice that games are included, this makes it a complete system for those that never owned a ColecoVision product before. The original ColecoVision only shipped with one game.

Ok so the included games will only raise the price of the system slightly. It is nice that games are included, this makes it a complete system for those that never owned a ColecoVision product before. The original ColecoVision only shipped with one game.

I repeat, the included games ARE NOT going to raise the price of the system!

This is a bonus for people buying our system :)

• Like 4

That is awesome. It costs you money to make that exclusive cartridge and you are including those games free at no charge.

That's probably what the Greenberg brothers said to Eric Bromley when he proposed DK to be the pack-in game with the Colecovision

Well, I guess that's how you sell your system ;)

Maybe there should be two Super-NES controller ports on the new CollectorVision console if most people prefer that type of controller. Then player 1 and player 2 could both use a Super NES controller.

No, that makes even less sense and your idea just added even MORE cost to the damn thing. Forget about my post above. It was mostly a joke. I'll be perfectly happy using my CV modded SNES NTT controller on the new system or whatever new control pad CollectorVision comes up with.

Multi-taps optional on ebay:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Multitap

I am definitely interested in this product and I wish you guys well. I know that Gamester81 has been involved in your products before, so I know that he must be very excited an psyched. Take care and I look forward to receiving further updates as I might just have to pull the trigger and get this after passed on many other retro products.

I repeat, the included games ARE NOT going to raise the price of the system!
This is a bonus for people buying our system :)

Here's another quick mockup of how our console should look like

But replace the Colecovision logo by the CollectorVision logo though ;)

We'll do a ''rainbow style'' CollectorVision logo

I had some discussions with Brian about the new controller design and I think you guys are going to like what we'll come up with
Not everyday you see a brand new DB-9 Colecovision Controller!

post-11933-0-36235300-1522797852.png

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 13

I had some discussions with Brian about the new controller design and I think you guys are going to like what we'll come up with

SOLD

Will there only be a limited number of these available? Or will you produce enough to keep everyone happy for years to come?

I will definitely check this out as this looks to be very promising. I briefly had an AtGames CV FB. I like the games it had, but those controllers... Sorry, but they were bad as it was a pain to play games on. This looks awesome and I look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Interesting question: Could the steering wheel and Roller Controller be supported via the Super-NES mouse?

I know you have a Spinner controller in development, so that should cover the steering wheel, but Roller Controller mouse support would be appreciated, even though the mouse is missing a couple of buttons (4 buttons are needed to play Victory, the other games that support the Roller Controller can be played normally with 2 buttons).

• Like 2

Interesting question: Could the steering wheel and Roller Controller be supported via the Super-NES mouse?

I know you have a Spinner controller in development, so that should cover the steering wheel, but Roller Controller mouse support would be appreciated, even though the mouse is missing a couple of buttons (4 buttons are needed to play Victory, the other games that support the Roller Controller can be played normally with 2 buttons).

An alternative is something like this either incorporated into the console or sold as an option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallyMouse2-Cased-USB-to-Quadrature-mouse-interface-for-Atari-ST/172916231841?hash=item28429c4ea1:g:E44AAOSwfeZZynpy

This is a bit pricey, but the tech is open source, so it might be cheaper to sell than it appears. Perhaps, limiting it to the atari ST configuration, internally, would make it cheaper, as well, since it is currently made to work with several systems.

https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

https://github.com/simoninns/SmallyMouse2

The roller controller and driving controller output digitized quadrature to the ColecoVision, like what is produced by an Atari ST, Amiga or most bus mice. This adapter converts a usb mouse to an Atari ST mouse and has an external power line. All that needs to be added to the current electronics is to reconfigure the pinout from pins 1-4 to pins 7 and 9 on Colecovision controller port 1 for horizontal and pins 7 and 9 on port 2 for vertical and add some electrostatic discharge protection (capacitors, diodes, zener diodes). I have actually used this adapter to use a usb mouse on the ColecoVision for Slither and Turbo and it does work. As it is sold it supports left, right and middle mouse buttons (still one short of Victory, but you can use the controller 2 buttons or, as long as your re-wiring the adapter thing, wire in and attach two tactile buttons you can put on or near a mouse).

For all I know, this might be more practical than converting the SNES mouse protocol output to emulated quadrature and it would allow the use of usb trackballs. The usb mouse to Colecovision adapter might be better as an option to keep costs of the console itself down, although it may be popular enough to justify a price increase. I'm assuming somewhere in this thread it was stated that the ps/2 keyboard (and mouse?) port will not support the roller/driving controller.

Actually, a +5V 2.1/5.5mm or microusb port to power the new spinner and such a usb mouse/trackball adapter (if it were an optional adapter), would seem like a good idea - no batteries!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the line to controller port 2 needs a splice for a keypad/controller, so you end up with a kind of eldritch z-cable connecting the mouse adapter to both ports along with a controller to port 2.

Bonus: you could use this for trackball games:

mbank264676_w1400_h1400.jpg

• Like 1

would of been nice to add the rest of the atari's. 5200, 7800 also

Perhaps cartridge adapters could be designed for other videogame systems also, so that real cartridges could be used instead of a SD card. Perhaps the CollectorVision system could also emulate 16 bit videogame systems in the future and not just 8 bit videogame systems. If CollectorVision started charging a fee to add additional cores I would not mind. Paying $50 to add ATARI 5200 or Coleco ADAM capability would be much cheaper then buying a old 80's system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I know this CollectorVision game system is going to emulate a 1982 ColecoVision BIOS with OPCODE supergame module sound chip and extra memory. However it would be neat if someone in the future created a new 16 bit ColecoVision II BIOS that offered stereo or surround sound, 16:9 screen ratio with HD resolution, 4,000 sprites, and many other improvements.

A true 16 bit next generation ColecoVision II BIOS would require new videogames made that would only run on the CollectorVision game system and PC emulators that used the new ColecoVision II BIOS. However offering a system that ran both the original ColecoVision BIOS games and the new 2020 16 bit ColecoVision II BIOS should attract existing ColecoVision owners to upgrade. Plus one would have new neat looking and sounding 16 bit ColecoVision II games.

Just something to think about.

I know this CollectorVision game system is going to emulate a 1982 ColecoVision BIOS with OPCODE supergame module sound chip and extra memory. However it would be neat if someone in the future created a new 16 bit ColecoVision II BIOS that offered stereo or surround sound, 16:9 screen ratio with HD resolution, 4,000 sprites, and many other improvements.

A true 16 bit next generation ColecoVision II BIOS would require new videogames made that would only run on the CollectorVision game system and PC emulators that used the new ColecoVision II BIOS. However offering a system that ran both the original ColecoVision BIOS games and the new 2020 16 bit ColecoVision II BIOS should attract existing ColecoVision owners to upgrade. Plus one would have new neat looking and sounding 16 bit ColecoVision II games.

Just something to think about.

Sounds more like Opcode's Prometheus console

This is probably something you'll get with that system