IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Again, I'll let Bmack36 answer the technical quiestions

But let me say this....

What do you mean exactly by advanced graphics?

I mean, the Colecovision can already produce high quality graphics and on a plain vanilla colecovision system

We don't plan to add more power or graphic capabilities to the existing hardware

That's just not the point of the CollectorVision Game System

Our system is made to fit an original Colecovision case meant as a replacement board for your existing system

We're also planning to offer replacement system shell as well (colored, transparent)

As for the Colecovision BIOS, we already have a works in progress of our BIOS

See attachement

I know the F18a for special programs made for the TI99/4A offers improved resolution (The ColecoVision and ADAM can also offer improved resolution if a programmer makes special programs and games for the F18a. I realize that all existing ColecoVision/ADAM games are 256 x 192 resolution and devices like the F18a offer 640 x 480 resolution by upscaling.

I was just trying to find out what the native maximum resolution of the HDMI output on the CollectorVision Game system. Maybe several years down the road a programmer might want to create a totally new BIOS called ColecoVision II that would add native 16:9 ratio and higher resolution beyond the existing 256 x 192 resolution.

If I get this system I would be purchasing it with a replacement system shell, since I always want my old original 1982 ColecoVision shell to have the front expansion module interface.

Edited by HDTV1080P

See, hence why it's important for all of you to give your inputs/ideas

The welcome feedback is honestly appreciated. It is an impossible expectation to please everyone, but allowing voices to be heard for input is certainly a nice gesture.

• Like 1

I know the F18a for special programs made for the TI99/4A offers improved resolution (The ColecoVision and ADAM can also offer improved resolution if a programmer makes special programs and games for the F18a. I realize that all existing ColecoVision/ADAM games are 256 x 192 resolution and devices like the F18a offer 640 x 480 resolution by upscaling.

I was just trying to find out what the native maximum resolution of the HDMI output on the CollectorVision Game system. Maybe several years down the road a programmer might want to create a totally new BIOS called ColecoVision II that would add native 16:9 ratio and higher resolution beyond the existing 256 x 192 resolution.

If I get this system I would be purchasing it with a replacement system shell, since I always want my old original 1982 ColecoVision shell to have the front expansion module interface.

Gotcha!

You should've just mentioned the F18A ;) :)

Brian is working with Matthew (unless I'm wrong?) to add the F18A to our system :)

• Like 1

Remember, the more we're adding to the CVGS, more expensive the final system will be

We've to keep things tight

This is a good point. The more feature requests I read, the more nervous I get about price. Eventually it could balloon into something like the Analogue mini-NT which runs $450, and at that point, you'd just buy the mini-NT since it also has a CV core available.

All this talk of keyboards, and mice, and USB: those are 3 things we've never needed in a Colecovision before (ADAM notwithstanding of course. ) :) I think HDMI is even a bit overkill and not something I would ever use.

Anyway, thanks for keeping it tight, and keep up the good work! I'll probably buy one no matter how it turns out in the end.

I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm becoming more and more interested in FPGA based clones. The main thing I'm confused about is the Digital and Analog video outputs. I get that this unit and others like it can output HDMI like anything else, but if you choose to use composite, S-video, or RGB on a CRT, will it display in 240p and behave as the original consoles would? To me the draw of FPGA clones is the ability to use a 1:1 hardware clone on a CRT.

Since 100% of all new computer monitors and TV/monitors are 16:9 HDTV flat panels with HDMI inputs, the main advantage of this CollectorVision game system is that it will offer perfect digital HDMI output picture quality just like one experiences today when using a ColecoVision emulator on a Windows PC with a monitor with a HDMI input.

This CollectorVision game system has a native HDMI output and VGA output only. The mono sound quality comes from the HDMI output and from the 3.5mm stereo output for either headphones or for the VGA output. Now with a special optional adapter that is plugged into either the HDMI or VGA output, this game system is suppose to offer RGB or composite video output. Composite video output is always standard definition and will work on any TV set with a composite video input. Composite video also offers a better picture and sound quality when compared to the old 1982 ColecoVision RF channel 3 and 4 output. Also if someone has a old CRT TV from the early 80's with only RF antenna input that is still working, there is external RF modulators to convert composite video to RF channel 3 and 4 output.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I've got an unmodded CV that broke down recently, and I could have it repaired, but I'd prefer to drop one of those FPGA replacement boards into it instead.

I recall checking out trackballs on the net earlier this year, and I remember most of them were expensive. So that's why I was asking about PS2 mouse support, because that would be a cheap alternative to an expensive trackball, which may require its own power supply anyway, just like the Roller Controller.

• Like 1

I've got an unmodded CV that broke down recently, and I could have it repaired, but I'd prefer to drop one of those FPGA replacement boards into it instead.

I recall checking out trackballs on the net earlier this year, and I remember most of them were expensive. So that's why I was asking about PS2 mouse support, because that would be a cheap alternative to an expensive trackball, which may require its own power supply anyway, just like the Roller Controller.

The problem is for the last several years is that all trackballs and mouses are 100% USB models (Also all motherboards removed the dedicated PS/2 mouse interface several years ago). Now there is a external USB to PS/2 adapter that works with some trackball's and mouses. I currently use the Logitech marble mouse with games like Slither on a Windows CollecoVision emulator and I love the performance better then the original Coleco Roller Controller.

We really need at least one USB port on this product. However if the Logitech Marble mouse would work on the CollectorVision game system with the purchase of a external USB to PS/2 adapter then that would be acceptable work around. https://www.logitech.com/en-hk/product/156

Edited by HDTV1080P

I think HDMI is even a bit overkill and not something I would ever use.

I don't understand why HDMI is something that someone would never use. I sort of thought the whole point of a machine like this is to take the old ColecoVision hardware and upgrade it to more current standards. That's why the F18A is being integrated as well as things like HDMI and hopefully (crossing fingers) the SGM. Most people now seem to be modding their older system to play at the very least through A/V and more likely if you're modding it now you're probably doing a RGB/VGA/HDMI output.

I couldn't imagine producing a new system that would have RF or just AV out. That would seem like it would defeat the whole purpose of this.

• Like 6

I don't understand why HDMI is something that someone would never use. I sort of thought the whole point of a machine like this is to take the old ColecoVision hardware and upgrade it to more current standards. That's why the F18A is being integrated as well as things like HDMI and hopefully (crossing fingers) the SGM. Most people now seem to be modding their older system to play at the very least through A/V and more likely if you're modding it now you're probably doing a RGB/VGA/HDMI output.

I couldn't imagine producing a new system that would have RF or just AV out. That would seem like it would defeat the whole purpose of this.

Exactly! :)

Even RGB was not planned at first

I asked Brian if we could have it since I'm a sucker for RGB (PVM Master Race :P )

If someone want to simply use their Colecovision as AV input, then I highly suggest you to have your system modded by Yurkie

• Like 1

Does or could this future console have some sort of pause button ?

Yes there could be a pause button and it would not cost anything extra for people that do not want pause. Here is the solution. One can purchase a PS/2 computer keyboard for as low as $5. On the standard PS/2 keyboard there is a dedicated pause button called "Pause Break". The CollectorVision game system could have software code in its BIOS that would pause the entire game system when someone presses the dedicated pause button on a PS/2 keyboard. This feature would work for all old and new games, however most people would only use it for older ColecoVision games that lack the internal controller pause button. The latest ColecoVision games made by Coleco and third party companies have a internal pause feature that is activated by hitting the "*" button on the Coleco controller or another button on the Coleco controller.

Also a advanced ColectorVision game system BIOS setup menu would allow for a user to have the default ColecoVision Font for text or a different font for onscreen game text.

The fact that the game is two years late, the Kickstarter updates are vague and elusive, and people asking direct questions or just asking for updates get ignored.

Indeed, I hear you

It was certainly a huge learning curve for all of us, we clearly didn't anticipate all the problems we have during the project

I'm not the one who take care of the updates but I'll ask to post update.....even if it's a bit too late now, as the game is about to be shipped

Not gonna lie though, you're completely right about all this sir

Indeed, I hear you

It was certainly a huge learning curve for all of us, we clearly didn't anticipate all the problems we have during the project

I'm not the one who take care of the updates but I'll ask to post update.....even if it's a bit too late now, as the game is about to be shipped

Not gonna lie though, you're completely right about all this sir

Pax.

I'm sure I'll like the game, I just with the path to this point was much different.

The fact that the game is two years late, the Kickstarter updates are vague and elusive, and people asking direct questions or just asking for updates get ignored.

As a moderator on this forum, let's try to keep things on topic of this discussion. If you have issues with CollectorVision on another topic, please take that up with them in private or at least the appropriate topic. This is not the forum to air those grievances in. Thank you for your understanding.

Alright then, let's go back to the original fonts!

See, hence why it's important for all of you to give your inputs/ideas :)

Haha, you're going to hate me, but I love the new font. The old one is weak, and reading a block of it makes me lose my concentration for some reason.

Gotcha!

You should've just mentioned the F18A ;) :)

Brian is working with Matthew (unless I'm wrong?) to add the F18A to our system :)

Question: Is there a (hopefully easy) way to turn off 32-sprites-per-scanline support in the F18A? There are a few games, like Ghostbusters, that use the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit to implement a basic form of sprite masking.

On the current f18a board there is a jumper that can change this from original 4 sprites per scan line to 32 sprites. So yes. But it's currently a jumper that you would have to physically move. Maybe it could be controlled via software. I can't remember.

Question: Is there a (hopefully easy) way to turn off 32-sprites-per-scanline support in the F18A? There are a few games, like Ghostbusters, that use the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit to implement a basic form of sprite masking.

The PS/2 interface was used since there was already support for it built in. USB would be much harder since there is no dedicated microcontroller with usb functionality built in. In order to keep the costs down we decided not to have a companion microcontroller.

I understand the need to keep cost down, but I believe that not including at least one USB port is a mistake. PS/2 is a 30 year old dying interface. Why saddle a new modern hardware system that will support HDMI, F18A and hopefully the SGM with a keyboard/mouse interface that will likely be completely unsupported within the next decade. While keyboards and mice that support PS/2 are still available, they are in the minority and, in my opinion, within short order will become very difficult to obtain, if at all.

Also, trying to get a USB to PS/2 adapter (passive or active) to work with USB keyboards and mice is very hit and miss, and more often a miss. Having to buy an adapter also adds cost and aggravation to the user as they try to find one that works. it's also yet another item to plug in and have dangling off the console. It would be much more elegant, and much simpler for the user, to have USB built in to the console.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2