IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

That is a brilliant idea of using a magnetic artwork so switch out would be clean and simple. I love that idea and the spinner design looks great so far.. I am hoping your project gets developed soon as I would love to be able to upgrade my old Colecovision as I am sure many others here as well.

It was simply inspired from original control overlays ;) :)

The Spinner Controller should be available pretty soon, we're going to build the final prototype, wich should look really similar to the image I've posted earlier :)

Listen guys

If only myself was going to add what I would love to have in this system, the final product would cost you about the same price as the Analogue NT

Not that the Analogue NT is not an awesome product (It is indeed an awesome product!)

but that's just not the goal with the CollectorVision Game System

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still all open to hear your ideas and suggestions :)

I say that if you're going to do an alternate BIOS logo and font, make it a flash upgrade, that way you can concentrate on getting the more authentic system out the door, and not have other cosmetic changes take up time.

I honestly don't know if it works with the Super Action Controller

I hate this controller to death, it doesn't exist in my mind :P

I love it myself. I have a Vision-Dapter for my PC, and the dial works awesomely for Pole-Position in MAME

I love it myself. I have a Vision-Dapter for my PC, and the dial works awesomely for Pole-Position in MAME

I hear you, there's plenty of people here who like the Super Action Controller :)

As for myself, I do have small hands, so this controller is really not comfortable for me

That's also probably why I always liked the original controller

I honestly don't know if it works with the Super Action Controller

I hate this controller to death, it doesn't exist in my mind :P

The SAC wheel is really only good for detecting a rough velocity, and direction of turn.

As I recall, the super action spinner is made up of reed switches that are open. And the wheel has two magnets 180 degrees apart and close the reed switches when they pass over. Having two is required for the Coleco to know which way you are spinning, based on which one closes and opens first.

Which means to get a single trigger, you have to spin the wheel half way around. The resolution on that would be horrible for a game like Arkanoid that relies on minor movement of the input device to move the paddle. It would probably work better (but not perfect, I dont recall the resolution on the wheel) with the steering module which had a higher resolution.

Edited by nick3092

Just came across this and curious about a few things. Any ETA on when this will be available? Does system compatible with mentioned systems mean it will play those systems games? Cost and SD slot? Tried reading through the thread but got confused. Will this be a stand alone system or what? Thanks for any help!

We want to release it, this year

Yes, the system will be compatible with the mentioned systems, you'll be able to play games off the SD card (Colecovision have a cartridge port)

It is a standalone system, but we'll also sell the PCB separately for those who want this options

We're planning to have colored system shell as well

Here's a more up to date prototype version of our Spinner Controller

Just to give you an idea of how it will looks like

Awesome , I was gonna bring that up once again about the button set up but I see someone seen my concern . Now I will want one for sure ! Is there a "projected" price point when it is done ?

We want to release it, this year

Yes, the system will be compatible with the mentioned systems, you'll be able to play games off the SD card (Colecovision have a cartridge port)

It is a standalone system, but we'll also sell the PCB separately for those who want this options

We're planning to have colored system shell as well

Thank for the info. Look forward to this! Any idea of a price point? Thanks again!

It costs around $687.39 to purchase a fully loaded 80’s ColecoVision that does the same thing as the CollectorVision game system

An official list price for the CollectorVision Game System has not been announced yet. However a list price of around $200 would be a bargain. To purchase a refurbished 1982-1985 ColecoVision with a HDMI output upgrade costs around $395 (the EM1 option is included for that price). Then to add a SD card slot for ColecoVision games costs $129.95 plus $6 for shipping. Then eColeco sales a refurnished Expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter for around $68.45 after shipping. Then the Harmony Encore SD card slot for the Atari 2600 costs $84.99 plus $3 shipping (price is without any accessories included).

So for around $687.39 one can use an early 80’s ColecoVision with HDMI output and play ColecoVison and Atari 2600 games from a SD card just like the CollectorVision game system does. Plus the CollectorVision game system is compatible with many other videogame and computer systems with a firmware update. However to be fair, the CollectorVision game system does not have a front expansion module interface and does not play actual physical Atari 2600 cartridges.

I am sure a $99.99 list price would sale more systems, but a list price of $199.99+ for the CollectorVision game system would be fine if the system is supported with quality firmware updates. If the Coleco ADAM computer was supported I would pay $299.99 for the system. Maybe offering the system at a very low list price and charging $50 or more for firmware updates to add more features would be ideal. Some people would pay $50 for a IntelliVision software update, another $50 for a Atari 5200 or Atari 7800 firmware update. Homebrew game cartridges can run $50-$100 for a single game, why not charge for firmware updates. Just imagine the CollectorVision game system being able to emulate 12 or more classic 8 bit videogame systems or computer systems.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 2

Making backup copies of ColecoVision/ADAM cartridges to a SD card on the CollectorVision game system

(Some possible future uses for the CollectorVision game system)

The CollectorVision game system could contain digital rights management software that would allow certain game cartridges to be copy protected. However if the game developer does not turn on the copy protection code in the cartridge rom image, then that ColecoVision/ADAM cartridge could be copied to a SD card. With a game cartridge software backup utility the ColecoVision/ADAM game cartridges of any size could be copied to a SD card on the CollectorVision game system. Then the rom image on the SD card could be played back on any desktop PC, Laptop, or other portable device that has ColecoVision emulation software installed. It takes only one SDHC or SDXC card to hold every single ColecoVision or ADAM rom image.

Also in the future game developers might want to use SD media that costs as low as $2 to distribute their games on instead of the more expensive and less powerful cartridges. One can now purchase 32GB SDHC cards for under $10 (a massive amount of read and write storage space).

Back in 1983 third party game cartridge backup utility programs started showing up for the Coleco ADAM computer. These backup game cartridge utility programs from the early to mid 80’s would make a perfect bit for bit backup copy of any game cartridge up to 32KB in size. Several ColecoVision game cartridges could be stored on one 3.5 inch 1.44MB disk and then loaded within 5 seconds or so from an onscreen menu. With the creation of the AdamNet SD drive for the ADAM computer, every single cartridge rom image can be backed up and stored on one SD card (However existing ADAM software only allows game cartridges up to 32KB to be backed up, and possible one day a new improved game cartridge backup utility could be designed to back up any size rom image and load the rom image directly to ADAM's 2MB memory expander using bank switching emulation techniques).

Edited by HDTV1080P

It costs around $687.39 to purchase a fully loaded 80s ColecoVision that does the same thing as the CollectorVision game system

An official list price for the CollectorVision Game System has not been announced yet. However a list price of around $200 would be a bargain. To purchase a refurbished 1982-1985 ColecoVision with a HDMI output upgrade costs around $395 (the EM1 option is included for that price). Then to add a SD card slot for ColecoVision games costs $129.95 plus $6 for shipping. Then eColeco sales a refurnished Expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter for around $68.45 after shipping. Then the Harmony Encore SD card slot for the Atari 2600 costs $84.99 plus $3 shipping (price is without any accessories included).

So for around $687.39 one can use an early 80s ColecoVision with HDMI output and play ColecoVison and Atari 2600 games from a SD card just like the CollectorVision game system does. Plus the CollectorVision game system is compatible with many other videogame and computer systems with a firmware update. However to be fair, the CollectorVision game system does not have a front expansion module interface and does not play actual physical Atari 2600 cartridges.

I am sure a $99.99 list price would sale more systems, but a list price of $199.99+ for the CollectorVision game system would be fine if the system is supported with quality firmware updates. If the Coleco ADAM computer was supported I would pay $299.99 for the system. Maybe offering the system at a very low list price and charging $50 or more for firmware updates to add more features would be ideal. Some people would pay $50 for a IntelliVision software update, another $50 for a Atari 5200 or Atari 7800 firmware update. Homebrew game cartridges can run $50-$100 for a single game, why not charge for firmware updates. Just imagine the CollectorVision game system being able to emulate 12 or more classic 8 bit videogame systems or computer systems.

Charge for firmware? In the language of my Québécois neighbors to the East...NON, NON, NON, Merde...l'idée est de la merde!
  • Like 1

Making backup copies of ColecoVision/ADAM cartridges to a SD card on the CollectorVision game system

(Some possible future uses for the CollectorVision game system)

The CollectorVision game system could contain digital rights management software that would allow certain game cartridges to be copy protected. However if the game developer does not turn on the copy protection code in the cartridge rom image, then that ColecoVision/ADAM cartridge could be copied to a SD card. With a game cartridge software backup utility the ColecoVision/ADAM game cartridges of any size could be copied to a SD card on the CollectorVision game system. Then the rom image on the SD card could be played back on any desktop PC, Laptop, or other portable device that has ColecoVision emulation software installed. It takes only one SDHC or SDXC card to hold every single ColecoVision or ADAM rom image.

Also in the future game developers might want to use SD media that costs as low as $2 to distribute their games on instead of the more expensive and less powerful cartridges. One can now purchase 32GB SDHC cards for under $10 (a massive amount of read and write storage space).

Back in 1983 third party game cartridge backup utility programs started showing up for the Coleco ADAM computer. These backup game cartridge utility programs from the early to mid 80s would make a perfect bit for bit backup copy of any game cartridge up to 32KB in size. Several ColecoVision game cartridges could be stored on one 3.5 inch 1.44MB disk and then loaded within 5 seconds or so from an onscreen menu. With the creation of the AdamNet SD drive for the ADAM computer, every single cartridge rom image can be backed up and stored on one SD card (However existing ADAM software only allows game cartridges up to 32KB to be backup, and a new improved game cartridge backup utility could be designed to back up any size rom image and load the rom image directly to ADAM's 2MB memory expander using bank switching emulation techniques).

What ISN'T already backed up? The copy and paste from word wall of text above is just a regurgitation of your cracker/wafer drive nonsensical manifesto, maybe you can start your own thread "How to overcomplicate the CollectorVision Game Sytem and annoy people with overly formatted forums posts"
  • Like 7

Cool . It does look really tall "thick" though . I am imagining holding it and it would be awfully tall . Any chance it will or could be shrunk down a bit . Just giving feedback . Looks great .

No, we can't

We need enough space inside for the electronics

But it's really not that huge honestly, might only be the picture that makes you feel like the enclosure is big