IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

It's going to fit an original CV system shell

We'll offer it as a replacement board and as a full unit (including the system shell)

I figured but I was still curious as to whether it would fit in a flashback shell. I looked all over just trying to find dimensions for a Coleco Flashback shell and found nothing other than the box dimensions that it comes in. I don't have one. So luckily I found a picture of one online sitting in a box with the top removed and was able to use a little algebra to determine that he Colecovision Flashback is approximately 8.5" long. I then had to look up the specs on a standard 15 position card edge connector used on the board and got the dimensions off that and was able to do the same to come up with approximate lenght of that board and came up with 6.7" long. Both pics I went by were angled looking at it so I didn't try to get the width of either(front to backside) but from looking I believe I can tell with just the measurements I have I can tell it will probably work, I just don't know how hot the board gets and if it would be good idea to put it in a smaller case. Also the buttons and board for them on the flashback may be in the way not sure if the board would fit under it, or if some other modification would be necessary there.

EDIT:

Also too the controller ports would have to either be cut out on the case or ports put in the case where originally were and then wired to the board and a few other modifications for power input and video, so it might would get kinda tight in the end but was just curious if it would fit.

Edited by SignGuy81

Why not going for the XC6SLX45 instead, it's 18US$ of the LX9 vs 55US$ of the LX45, those extra 36US$ would be well worthy (5x the LEs for just 3x the price)

LX9

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XC6SLX9-2CSG225C/122-1744-ND/2339913

LX45

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XC6SLX45-2CSG324C/122-1673-ND/2408283

Would it be a problem to add a Composite or SVideo or Component jacks to the unit? I use my classic consoles on a CRT because it has excellent color, is NOT widescreen and creates no lag whatsoever. If it is not possible that is acceptable but I thought I would ask for those of us who prefer to use the classic CRT over an HD TV.

I am also a +1 for the expansion port as I would love to hook up my SGM module, as the Promethus board will not need one and I would like to retire of my old Colecovision that is very unstable.

I would also wonder if the Atari 2600 module could be used if there was a port? That would be really cool if it was possible.

The board looks so small that it looks like it would fit into the Atari Expansion module itself.. haha..

Thank you very much for even asking the board.

Wrt to the specs it's 2Mb as in Mbits, not a typo right?

(2Mbits aka 256KBytes)

Also given the cart slot seems to be for CV carts the other systems will be SD card driven only right [meaning load "teh romz" into RAM and run it form there)?

[

the SMS can give you issues in that regard because 4Mbits and 8Mbits carts do exists

http://www.smspower.org/Games/EccoTheTidesOfTime-SMS

http://www.smspower.org/Games/VirtuaFighterAnimation-SMS

]

We're not supporting it in respect of Eduardo's works

Opcode doesn't want our system to support the SGM

And we're okay with this

You sure you two can't work something out? I'm sure there's an interest for people who don't necessarily want the extra functionality of the Prometheus but still want some kind of SGM compatibility. It just seems short-sighted considering there's a lot of SGM-only homebrews floating around. Edited by ApolloBoy

Well, maybe in the future Opcode could potentially offer a software "upgrade", for say $50, that would allow SGM games to play on it.

But even if it is never offered, this looks tasty. Potentially could run LOTS of things, like maybe a cartridge that would allow a keyboard to hook up to it (and other various hardware). Would die to have a new ADAM kit, for instance!

But even if it is never offered, this looks tasty. Potentially could run LOTS of things, like maybe a cartridge that would allow a keyboard to hook up to it (and other various hardware). Would die to have a new ADAM kit, for instance!

The system will already support a PS/2 keyboard directly on the board.

I will be supporting both yours and opcode's system. I think it would be great if you can add the expansion port so that people that own an SGM can use it on your unit. That could also help sales of the SGM as well.

In regards to MSX compatibility, is it MSX1 only or will it also support MSX2 and Turbo R systems?

MSX support is certainly interesting. Too bad MSX carts and ColecoVision carts don't have the same pinout, although I have to wonder if MSX carts use all 50 pins... If only 30 pins were actually used, perhaps some 30-pin PCBs could be devised onto which one could put MSX ROMs. :)

Will the MSX, SMS etc "support" be in the form of accepting SD cards with ROMs or cartridge slots (or both)?

ColecoVision have a cartridge port (you can still load games from the SD card)

The other systems will load games from the SD card only (no cartridge port)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2