IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

How will the Standard Controller be attached for keypad control? Is there a port on this, y-cable or will the keypad controller go in port 2?

I would expect the keypad will be used via port 2. If this paddle controller generates the same interrupts as the original steering wheel, then it will need player 2's controller to be compatible with Turbo, Destructor, Dukes of Hazzard, etc.

This makes me wonder what new games could be made for this controller, beyond Arkanoid. Tac-Scan comes to mind, and Tempest would rock with this controller. Maybe some conversions of interesting Atari 2600 paddle games like Guardian, Star Wars Jedi Arena, Solar Storm, Encounter At L-5, Circus Atari, GI-Joe Cobra Strike, Astroblast, or Warlords. Or maybe a Microvision simulator (you could probably fit all the Microvision games into one cartridge).

In terms of new homebrew games, I would imagine a fun version of table soccer or Battleship, or a paddle-driven clone of Galaga, Gyruss or Rip-Off. Oh, and a clone of Asteroids that plays with a paddle and two buttons (one for shooting, one of thrust) would be great, but it would need much faster gameplay than Asteroids or else it would be a rather dull experience. Maybe call it Space Fury II? :)

Also, I'd be curious to know how well this paddle controller works with Kaboom! (the budget game). Does CollectorVision's release of Pong support the Roller Controller or steering wheel? If not, then I would expect Pong II to be released at one point! ;)

If there was a USB port on the CollectorVision game system a actual steering wheel with break and acceleration pedal could be used. Perhaps one of the Steering wheels with pedals could be taken apart and a serial port could be created so it works with existing and future ColecoVision/ADAM games.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9086NX4123&cm_re=STEERING_WHEEL_WITH_PEDAL-_-9SIA9086NX4123-_-Product

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g920-driving-force

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/driving-force-shifter

I would expect the keypad will be used via port 2. If this paddle controller generates the same interrupts as the original steering wheel, then it will need player 2's controller to be compatible with Turbo, Destructor, Dukes of Hazzard, etc.

This makes me wonder what new games could be made for this controller, beyond Arkanoid. Tac-Scan comes to mind, and Tempest would rock with this controller. Maybe some conversions of interesting Atari 2600 paddle games like Guardian, Star Wars Jedi Arena, Solar Storm, Encounter At L-5, Circus Atari, GI-Joe Cobra Strike, Astroblast, or Warlords. Or maybe a Microvision simulator (you could probably fit all the Microvision games into one cartridge).

In terms of new homebrew games, I would imagine a fun version of table soccer or Battleship, or a paddle-driven clone of Galaga, Gyruss or Rip-Off. Oh, and a clone of Asteroids that plays with a paddle and two buttons (one for shooting, one of thrust) would be great, but it would need much faster gameplay than Asteroids or else it would be a rather dull experience. Maybe call it Space Fury II? :)

Also, I'd be curious to know how well this paddle controller works with Kaboom! (the budget game). Does CollectorVision's release of Pong support the Roller Controller or steering wheel? If not, then I would expect Pong II to be released at one point! ;)

That is correct, you need a controller plugged into the controller port#2

We've already thought about doing Tac/Scan, Tempest and a few oters great games

Does Kaboom! is supporting Exp#2 ?

If so, then it'll works for sure

Needless to say, we already have some great ideas for supporting the Spinner Controller :)

• Like 1

Does Kaboom! is supporting Exp#2 ?

If so, then it'll works for sure

Kaboom! works with the Roller Controller, so it should work with the Exp#2, unless the interrupts between the two controllers don't quite work the same way...? Anyhow, whoever has the prototype of your Spinner Controller could try Kaboom! right now if he wants, since the ROM of the game is freely available since last Christmas. :)

EDIT: Ah, okay, never mind. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find any mention of this. Will the CollectorVision system support Adam DDP supergame roms on the SD card? With MSX being supported, I am thinking it will, but wanted to know.

There is no Coleco ADAM clones on the market, only a lot of ColecoVision clones. The CollectorVision system will not support the Coleco ADAM at this time per the press release information. However if they were to every offer support for the Coleco ADAM system with a firmware update, it would be a must have system for people that have ADAM computers that are slowly dying of old age. There is other ColecoVision clones on the market that have a cartridge slot, the CollectorVision system is capable of emulating a Coleco ADAM with a firmware update, but that firmware update might not become a reality.

ADAM DDP and Disk images are not in a rom format but are multi-load programs in a dsk file format (Which means they require a ADAM computer emulation program or a real ADAM to run). Team Pixelboy with a lot of hard work has manually coverted a lot of Coleco ADAM supergames like Buck Rodgers, Zaxxon, Subroc, and Dragon’s Lair to a cartridge rom image that is 160K or lower in size. If those cartridge rom images were to be dumped to a SD card then they would run on a ColecoVision system with a Ultimate SD cartridge when the Supergame module is installed and they should also run on the CollectorVision game system as long as that system emulates the supergame modules extra ram. The special sound chip located in the supergame module is not needed for any of the original Coleco ADAM supergames that are manually converted to a rom image. The CollectoVision system supports the use of a keyboard, and maybe games like Family Feud, Jeopardy, and 2010 The Text Adventure game might be ported over as a large rom image that runs from the CollectorVision game system. Of course if the CollectorVision game system would emulate a real Coleco ADAM computer disk drive from its SD card slot, then no ADAM programs would need to be ported over to a super large rom image.

Edited by HDTV1080P

There is other ColecoVision clones on the market that have a cartridge slot, the CollectorVision system is capable of emulating a Coleco ADAM with a firmware update, but that firmware update might not become a reality.

Really? The only ColecoVision clone that was ever made and marketed that has a cartridge port is the Dina 2-in-1 (also known as the Telegames Personal Arcade) and these are extremely rare, have there own reliability issues, are not compatible with the extra controllers (Driving Module, SAC, Roller) and don't have an Expansion Interface so that the Opcode SGM can be used with it.

There were a couple adapters made for 8-bit computers of the era like the SpectraVideo, but that is it.

There three CV Clones with cartridge ports being worked on, but nothing has been released yet.

• Like 1

Really? The only ColecoVision clone that was ever made and marketed that has a cartridge port is the Dina 2-in-1 (also known as the Telegames Personal Arcade) and these are extremely rare, have there own reliability issues, are not compatible with the extra controllers (Driving Module, SAC, Roller) and don't have an Expansion Interface so that the Opcode SGM can be used with it.

There were a couple adapters made for 8-bit computers of the era like the SpectraVideo, but that is it.

There three CV Clones with cartridge ports being worked on, but nothing has been released yet.

Yes you are correct in the 80’s there were two ColecoVision clones released that did not do everything that a original 1982 ColecoVision did. The Telegames Presoanl Arcade had both a ColecoVision and Sega SG-1000 cartridge slot but was not compatible with some of the ColecoVision games, lacked a front expansion module interface, and did not work with the original Coleco controllers as you mentioned. Spectravideo also had a ColecoVision adapter with a real cartridge slot but it also was not as good as a real ColecoVision.

Since 3 different homebrew companies are working on a ColecoVision clone in the 21st Century with an actual ColecoVision compatible cartridge slot, this is evidence of how popular the ColecoVision fan based has grown. While it’s possible to make a ColecoVision clone 100% compatible with all existing and future ColecoVision cartridges (quality firmware updates installed from the SD card to the clones operating system), most and possible all ColecoVision clones will lack the front expansion module interface when and if they get released.

It is my understanding that the 16 bit Analogue Nt mini that currently supports a massive amount of 8 bit videogame systems including the ColecoVision, has been released on the market already but is currently out of stock. The Analogue Nt mini also works with real game cartridges and SD cards for some videogame systems. However a ColecoVision cartridge slot for the Analogue Nt mini might be a optional add on in the future.

I am interested in a system that is a ADAM clone and that also works with ColecoVison game cartridges. The first system that is a Coleco ADAM clone will most likely also be the very first system that I end up purchasing. I am very inteterested in the 16 bit Analogue Nt mini but would purchase the CollectorVision system instead if it would emulate a real Coleco ADAM computer.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

It is my understanding that the 16 bit Analogue Nt mini that currently supports a massive amount of 8 bit videogame systems including the ColecoVision, has been released on the market already but is currently out of stock. The Analogue Nt mini also works with real game cartridges and SD cards for some videogame systems. However a ColecoVision cartridge slot for the Analogue Nt mini might be a optional add on in the future.

Out of stock indeed...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=fpga+nt+mini&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xanalog+nt+mini.TRS0&_nkw=analog+nt+mini&_sacat=0

Holy cow :-o :-o :-o

EASTER UPDATE:

We are currently working on the case design and have a preliminary design in mind (very early in the process):

post-45248-0-20182700-1522588604.png

We have changed the feature list a little:

For now we are only doing HDMI video output (directly from the system). This is to reduce costs to those who don't need analog video

SGM support

Added SNES controller port. This will allow the use of the super famicom ntt data controller as well as allow those without a cv controller to play the system with a standard snes controller. (Player 1 only)

Expansion port (not compatible with original expansion modules) that will allow future addons ;)

Power and reset buttons modeled after the joystick of docked controllers see picture above

We are still working to see which cores will be available at launch.

• Like 10

Is that round plug to the right supposed to be the SNES controller? Because it doesn't look like the connectors on my SNES controllers.

EASTER UPDATE:

We are currently working on the case design and have a preliminary design in mind (very early in the process):

attachicon.gif29852867_1791587040862393_1749851499_n.png

We have changed the feature list a little:

For now we are only doing HDMI video output (directly from the system). This is to reduce costs to those who don't need analog video

SGM support

Added SNES controller port. This will allow the use of the super famicom ntt data controller as well as allow those without a cv controller to play the system with a standard snes controller. (Player 1 only)

Expansion port (not compatible with original expansion modules) that will allow future addons ;)

Power and reset buttons modeled after the joystick of docked controllers see picture above

We are still working to see which cores will be available at launch.