IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

On the Collectorvision website it says "– 20+ Built-in digital Original Colecovision™ games" - how is that possible from a legal perspective?

Are you asking about the process most companies go through to get permission? Lord knows we don't need more shade on either "side". We need new Coleco compatible hardware.

On the Collectorvision website it says "– 20+ Built-in digital Original Colecovision™ games" - how is that possible from a legal perspective?

That would be part of the licensing agreement with coleco. Coleco claims ownership of the games as demonstrated in the license to the ATgames Colecovision flashback.

It would be worth asking how they obtained a legal right to other peoples IP.

Is it? You end up with a Socks the Cat situation where being a business they can't answer that question well enough to non business partners - especially this early in the process. Then people harp on that as signs of wrongdoing and it goes on and on..

They have published more than 20 original games from homebrew authors. The older games are not all listed on the website currently. That would be enough so it is possible.

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

That would be part of the licensing agreement with coleco. Coleco claims ownership of the games as demonstrated in the license to the ATgames Colecovision flashback.

My understanding, through ATgames, is that RWB/Coleco secured the publishing rights to the old games on the flashback; not necessarily ownership. There is no reference to any game copyrights on the flashback packaging. The legality doesn't really matter if the organizations that owns those copyrights either no longer exist or don't care.

Edit:

You can't claim copyright ownership like you can claim a trademark. It can only be transferred or licensed by the owner.

--------

They have published more than 20 original games from homebrew authors. The older games are not all listed on the website currently. That would be enough so it is possible.

I assumed when I read 20+ original coleco vision games it refers to old games from the 1980s. I suppose it could mean homebrews, as long as they are free of IP issues. But they don't need RWB/Coleco for homebrews.

Is it? You end up with a Socks the Cat situation where being a business they can't answer that question well enough to non business partners - especially this early in the process. Then people harp on that as signs of wrongdoing and it goes on and on..

It would be worth asking if you were Collectorvision. Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Imagic didn't need Atari's permission to put on their packaging that their cartridge runs on an Atari 2600. If they were to print Atari more prominently or use the Atari logo, it would need Atari's permission. But this is not about legalities, it's about respecting the other's space.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Which game wasn't licensed? I would think for something as prominent as the colecovision flashback that it would have been done properly. If it wasn't then I am surprised the copyright holder didn't resolve the issue with ATGames.

You did see how Coleco Holdings obtained the Coleco and Colecovision names right? Tricking Ben Heck and then lying to U.S. Government. It is not my place to mention any names. Anyone want to reach out to the IP holders on the entire back of the box?

Perhaps this thread should now be called and relabeled "ColecoVision Videogame System" instead of "CollectorVision Game System".

The cool thing about this new videogame system is that its firmware upgradable. At anytime CollectorVision can issue a firmware update before shipping the product and change the original Coleco 20 game titles that are built in (and 5 homebrews built in). For example if in the future CollectorVision decides to offer 25 free games instead of 20, existing owners can install a firmware update to change the built in games on the system.

However the most important goal of this new system is to make a realible and high quality ColecoVision compatible system that most existing ColecoVision owners will be willing to upgrade to. Offering the free built in game rom images is a minor issue and a nice bonus.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I was about to purchase an Adam Computer over the next few days. I think I’ll hold out now that I’ve seen this thread. This sounds great!

I am not sure if this new product is going to launch in late 2018 or sometime in 2019+. I am guessing the reason why you would purchase a new ADAM system is to play ColecoVision game cartridges. However the ADAM also plays advanced Super Games on Disk and DDP (some of those games have been ported over to a ColecoVision cartridge by Team Pixelboy). However if you want to play games like Richard Scary's Electronic workbook and others they have not been ported over to a ColecoVision cartridge (at least not yet). Also some games require a ADAM keyboard like Jeopardy, Family Feud, 2010 the Text Adventure game, and many others. Now the new system does have a PS/2 keyboard input, however there is no guarantee that a programmer well port over those ADAM games to a SD wafer or ColecoVision cartridge. There is a possibility that one day a third party programmer could make this system emulate the ADAM computer with its existing on board hardware resources or possible a third party ADAM expansion module (but no guarantees). This new system is open source so any programmer or hardware developer can make products for the new system.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

I am not sure if this new product is going to launch in late 2018 or sometime in 2019+. I am guessing the reason why you would purchase a new ADAM system is to play ColecoVision game cartridges. However the ADAM also plays advanced Super Games on Disk and DDP (some of those games have been ported over to a ColecoVision cartridge by Team Pixelboy). However if you want to play games like Richard Scary's Electronic workbook and others they have not been ported over to a ColecoVision cartridge (at least not yet). Also some games require a ADAM keyboard like Jeopardy, Family Feud, 2010 the Text Adventure game, and many others. Now the new system does have a PS/2 keyboard input, however there is no guarantee that a programmer well port over those ADAM games to a SD wafer or ColecoVision cartridge. There is a possibility that one day a third party programmer could make this system emulate the ADAM computer with its existing on board hardware resources or possible a third party ADAM expansion module (but no guarantees). This new system is open source so any programmer or hardware developer can make products for the new system.

I mainly want an Adam Computer to try some logo programming. Secondly I am very interested in the Super Games . I found a guy who lives in Salt Lake that is selling a 5.25 Drive with a bunch of games. But considering the $350 investment I might hold off now.

I mainly want an Adam Computer to try some logo programming. Secondly I am very interested in the Super Games . I found a guy who lives in Salt Lake that is selling a 5.25 Drive with a bunch of games. But considering the $350 investment I might hold off now.

If the system is in good working condition that is a good deal. Back in 1983 people were paying around $800 for a standalone ADAM (around $600 for the Expansion module #3 ADAM). Then in 1984 when the 5.25 inch Coleco disk drives came out they sold for $199.99 and sometimes more. Today working and sometimes non working ADAM disk drives are sometimes selling for around $200+ on EBAY. The disk drive is the rarest part made for the ADAM computer. Maybe only 50,000+ made out of the 500,000+ Coleco ADAM systems made. At one time they were going for $300-400+ for the top of the line Micro Innovations 1.44MB 3.5 inch models. However now the best solution is the Microfox ADAM microSD Floppy Emulator for around $130.

Edited by HDTV1080P

While I don't post too much I do read the forums pretty actively and love learning about new things that are happening within our community. When I first heard about the CollectoVision game system, to say I was excited is an understatement. Unfortunately with the announcement of the licensing deal struck with "he whom I won't name", I have had to seriously pause in that excitement and wonder....WHY???

This is absolutely not an attack on JF or Collectorvision, as I strongly support them and applaud all of their efforts with what they have done and continue to do for the ColecoVision community, and anything I state is my opinion only. I feel they have, along with Luc and Eduardo, helped keep the system alive long after its shelf life and also by pushing the limits of the system and showing us what "old girl" is still capable of doing, all these years later.

My issue is that this is completely empowering the Jersey thug into legitimizing his endeavors and behavior. Does this embolden him to attack others again down the road for some sort of infringement issues? Will he attack fan pages on social media again? I really cannot forgive or forget what he did to TPR on Facebook. In fact we were all in agreement that what Jersey Shore did regarding all of that was bullshit! We can say that Jersey doesn't have anything to do with this system, but, in fact he truly does. If the Coleco or ColecoVision name is slapped on something with an official license, like it or not, it in fact involves him, maybe not in developing the product, but the name itself under RWB at this point has a stigma that doesn't sit well with this community. Not to mention, he hasn't ever tried to tell this community he was sorry, nor to my knowledge reached out to TPR and apologized directly to him. And at this point, I am not sure how sincere that apology would be anyway.

The Collectorvision HD system was fine with me in name as it was. The name doesn't mean much to me personally, so having ColecoVision on the console is of little value to me as long as it plays all of my cartridges. And as for adding games into the system, unless these are brand new ColecoVision games, I assume most everyone who gets the system will already have them on an original cartridge or rom format for AtariMax.

Again, I hope this isn't met with disdain or as a negative attack on JF or Collectorvision, and in fact I hope you are not serious about walking away from the community over any of this. But, having said that, you had to have known that there would be an uproar once it was learned that there was a licensing agreement.

Well, there is my humble and unnecessary opinion for the most part. I hope that we can all get past these differences and issues and get back to enjoying the one thing that brought us all here together in the first place.

I will just say this, if this system came out and only had the collectorvision name on it, there isn't a damn thing that Jersey could have done to stop, derail or otherwise impede it.

Absolutely, this is exactly what I was thinking. What seems to be misunderstood by some is that Jackass Jersey only holds the trademarks for the names Coleco and ColecoVision and some of their associated logos. They do not hold ANY rights to any of the original IP and have no claim whatsoever on any new console that mimics the operation of the original ColecoVision or ADAM. So, if the console does not have the Coleco or ColecoVision name or logos on it Jackass J. has no say in it whatsoever.

I'm from New Jersey. You guys are substituting "Jersey" in place of referencing Cardillo's name, as if referencing the state itself is some sort of put-down against him. I could be wrong, but that's how it comes off. Anyway, it rubs me the wrong way in the same way as when people refer to Coleco Holdings (aka River West Brands/Dormitus Brands) as just plain "Coleco" as if they are the same company or hold any ties to the Coleco Industries from the 80's. The cast of the "Jersey Shore" are not representative of the state of New Jersey. I always found it ironic that the majority of the cast of that show were actually from New York in the first place, yet when people from out of state think of New Jersey, those are the people they think of first and base their impressions of the entire state from. Just wanted to put that out there since I noticed how commonplace it was becoming in this thread.

• Like 1

If the system is in good working condition that is a good deal. Back in 1983 people were paying around $800 for a standalone ADAM (around $600 for the Expansion module #3 ADAM). Then in 1984 when the 5.25 inch Coleco disk drives came out they sold for $199.99 and sometimes more. Today working and sometimes non working ADAM disk drives are sometimes selling for around $200+ on EBAY. The disk drive is the rarest part made for the ADAM computer. Maybe only 50,000+ made out of the 500,000+ Coleco ADAM systems made. At one time they were going for $300-400+ for the top of the line Micro Innovations 1.44MB 3.5 inch models. However now the best solution is the Microfox ADAM microSD Floppy Emulator for around $130.

Agreed. If it's in good working condition,it should easily hold its value. You might even make a profit if you change your mind and sell it.

I'm from New Jersey. You guys are substituting "Jersey" in place of referencing Cardillo's name, as if referencing the state itself is some sort of put-down against him. I could be wrong, but that's how it comes off. Anyway, it rubs me the wrong way in the same way as when people refer to Coleco Holdings (aka River West Brands/Dormitus Brands) as just plain "Coleco" as if they are the same company or hold any ties to the Coleco Industries from the 80's. The cast of the "Jersey Shore" are not representative of the state of New Jersey. I always found it ironic that the majority of the cast of that show were actually from New York in the first place, yet when people from out of state think of New Jersey, those are the people they think of first and base their impressions of the entire state from. Just wanted to put that out there since I noticed how commonplace it was becoming in this thread.

Never watched Jersey Shore and have no negative or preconceived ideas about New Jersey or those from there. I apologise if I caused offense, which I did, my use of the name "Jersey" was just to reference that the Jackass was from there and not to infer that he represents those from that area or to be derogatory to those from New Jersey. Nevertheless, I will avoid using "New Jersey" or "Jersey" when referencing the Jackass in the future.

• Like 1

I have no idea how you would take it as a slight against the state, but ok, I will still refer to that man as Jersey! It is unfortunate that you are taking offense to that!!