IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

We do plan to officially license HDMI for the project.

As far as the resolution goes, currently it is 640 x 480 (the same as the F18a output). It might be possible to do 720 with the hardware, but we would need to figure out the best way to scale it to fit.

So we are looking at a native resolution of 640 x 480 interlaced or progressive. That is a major improvement over the original 1982 ColecoVision that has 256 x 192 interlace over NTSC RF channel 3 or 4.

While offering upscaling to 720P, 1080i, 1080P, or 4K would be nice. To be honest I would never use that feature and would prefer the native 480 output. The reason is because all 4K, 1080P, and 720P displays on the market have upscaling chips in them already, and many times a good quality display will offer better upscaling when compared to the upscaling offered in a device like the ColecoVision with HDMI output. So if you have to cut corners because of budget reasons I would just offer a basic upscaling feature since most knowledgeable consumers will active the native 480 output feature on the ColecoVision and have their modern 4K display upscale to simulated 3840 x 2160P to match the displays native resolution.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Will the audio out only be via the HDMI connection of will there also be a separate analog audio output. Reason I ask is because some monitors with separate speakers only accept audio to the speaker via a separate analog cable.

Most computer monitors (not all) that have HDMI with no speakers have a 3.5 mm stereo output to send the audio to external speakers. I am guessing that the modern ColecoVision HDMI output will output mono audio in PCM format to both the left and right channels to offer 100% compatible with all HDMI equipment.

For people with older TV's that are pre 2005 models with no HDMI or DVI input, then with a low cost HDMI to component video, S-Video, or composite video adapter can be connected to the ColecoVision. With the right combination even HDMI to RF channel 3 and 4 is possible. Maybe someone well make a firmware update to simulate old fashion RF 3/4 NTSC interference noise from the HDMI output for those that want to feel like they are back in 1982+.

Will the audio out only be via the HDMI connection of will there also be a separate analog audio output. Reason I ask is because some monitors with separate speakers only accept audio to the speaker via a separate analog cable.

There are 2 options for this. There will be an analog video and audio expansion that can provide analog audio. You could also get a HDMI audio extractor.

I'm from New Jersey. You guys are substituting "Jersey" in place of referencing Cardillo's name, as if referencing the state itself is some sort of put-down against him. I could be wrong, but that's how it comes off. Anyway, it rubs me the wrong way in the same way as when people refer to Coleco Holdings (aka River West Brands/Dormitus Brands) as just plain "Coleco" as if they are the same company or hold any ties to the Coleco Industries from the 80's. The cast of the "Jersey Shore" are not representative of the state of New Jersey. I always found it ironic that the majority of the cast of that show were actually from New York in the first place, yet when people from out of state think of New Jersey, those are the people they think of first and base their impressions of the entire state from. Just wanted to put that out there since I noticed how commonplace it was becoming in this thread.

Their just using his first name, last name being "Shore" :D

We do plan to officially license HDMI for the project.

As far as the resolution goes, currently it is 640 x 480 (the same as the F18a output). It might be possible to do 720 with the hardware, but we would need to figure out the best way to scale it to fit.

Thank you for answering my questions.

It's been a long time since I tried to display 480p over HDMI I am not sure how TVs treat it these days, hopefully they do a decent job of upscaling.

480p for a 192px (the native CV res) is a not so comfy 2.5x scaling ... best of luck on the system, looking forward to see it running.

I have no idea how you would take it as a slight against the state, but ok, I will still refer to that man as Jersey! It is unfortunate that you are taking offense to that!!

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that the nickname assigned to a person with a poor reputation would be intended to have negative connotations itself. But, I did say that "I could be wrong". It's hard to decipher intent through text. I did leave open the possibility that I might have been being overly sensitive for reasons I mentioned.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/eastbrunswick/mtvs-jersey-shore-ruining-the-states-reputation-one-b54072f06e6

New Sound functionality for the system:

The Collectorvision FPGA video game system will support new custom audio chip.

The SEX7289 "COURTNEY" Wavetable Sound Generator (WSG) is an new custom sound chip which can produce a rich plurality of sounds with minimal intervention of the CPU. COURTNEY implements 2 operating modes. A native mode which features wavetable synthesis, the same sound technology of the Konami SCC, Namco Pac-Man, NEC PC Engine and Waldorf PPG Wave, and a legacy mode which is 100% compatible with the AY-3-8913. COURTNEY's register-based interface is based on the AY-3-891x series, allowing direct binary-level compatibility with that series, and facilitating the support of the new features to the programmer. Native mode also adds extended parameter ranges such as full 8-bit noise frequency (for more dramatic explosions), stereo positioning and a direct DAC mode, allowing clean, single channel 8-bit PCM sample replay without having to combine all 3 channels in a complex manner. The native mode also allows better lo-fi speech synthesis and digital audio -using technologies such as Wyz's ISR sample replay- by employing pure harmonic-free sine waves instead of square waves.

Detailed documents and instructions will be available later for developers to add support for the new sound chip. Functionality will also be added to the Lilith Emulator so that Courtney and F18a features can be tested prior to development or beta system release.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 6

So we are getting a new ColecoVision that not only has better sound then the original ColecoVision/ADAM but also well have better sound when compared to the SGM and at the same time backwards compatible with the same sound chip that is used in the SGM. Awesome better sounding games that also means game developers can make exclusive games that well only run on the new ColecoVision system from CollectorVison (Another reason why the game system should be called ColecoVision II since special games that use the new sound chip well not work with the original 80's ColecoVison).

When you say "stereo positioning" are you suggesting that the new custom sound chip will have native stereo sound instead of native mono?

Edited by HDTV1080P

I just got back from Game On Expo and I tested the CollectorVision Game system. It works really well!!

I shot a quick video too: https://twitter.com/StopDropRetro/status/1028447828320743424

I like the size of the new CollectorVision Game system (ColecoVision clone). When one removes the controller storage area and uses modern surface mount technology the ColecoVision system becomes very small. I am very surprised that the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cartridge is being used in the video. The CollectorVision Game System is suppose to have a SD card slot to play rom images and no need to use a Ultimate SD cartridge. Perhaps the game system by CollectorVision is currently running BETA firmware and the SD card slot is not operational yet.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The use of a flash memory multicart shows that it's not dumping the cartridge like a software emulator would have to do. It's interacting with the cartridge like a real coleco vision.

So instead of bringing several different ColecoVision game cartridges, you demoed the Ultimate SD cartridge since it acts just like a real ColecoVision cartridge plus it can hold the entire library of ColecoVision cartridges. OK now I understand. I was worried that the SD reader was not functional yet.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Just a quick update:

We have a good time at Game On Expo showing off the new system prototype.

post-45248-0-79307900-1534338962_thumb.jpg

We have decided to not to do the License agreement with Coleco Holdings, so this will not be an officially licensed Colecovision product.

We have now settled on the Collectorvision Phoenix name for the system. You can see an update on our page: https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/colecovision-hd-system/

There will be a lot of other big new coming soon ;)

• Like 14