IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

I think most people that would buy an all in one arcade controller already bought an arcade controller from edladdin . So something with extras would cost well over 200 and most people I would assume would not buy another one . And I am not speaking for him but I think he is so far backlogged from the Coleco arcade controller project and is then wanting to do a 5200 controller after finished so I wouldn't think he would be willing to do anything for quite some time . I sure wouldn't want to spend 200 for a system and then 200 for an arcade controller considering that I already spent 200 for a Colecovision arcade controller from edladdin . I would hope that you were going to release just a spinner controller as a cheaper option which then might get you more sales which I thought was the plan . Just my 2 cents .

• Like 1

For over 15 years I and my family members have been using the Logitech Marble Mouse trackball device with all their desktop and Laptop computers. It costs under $25 at Walmart and is 100% compatible with PS/2 motherboards with an optional $1+ USB to PS/2 adapter.

Using a ColecoVision emulator on a Windows PC in roller controller mode, the Logitech Marble Mouse works much better when compated to the Coleco roller controller while playing the Slither game. Also I have never seen a Logitech Marble mouse break and they work perfectly after 15+ years. Very reliable product that in theory can last a lifetime.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-Trackman-Marble-Mouse-Four-Button-Programmable-Dark-Gray/49839188?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222037337730&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10360206094&wl4=pla-4578022834053813&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=49839188_10000000948&wl14=marble%20mouse&veh=sem&msclkid=eea5717a8f3e17a170b02af3547257a0

and to reply to this post, I am going to quote another post... which is the first time I have ever done this on AtariAge.

You guys are focusing way too much on the PS2 port ;) :P

The PS/2 port is very important since low cost PS/2 keyboards and PS/2 trackballs can be connected. How else are we going to connect a Keytronic Windows style PS/2 keyboard that costs under $10? A programmer might be interested in porting over exclusive ADAM games like Family Feud, Jeopardy, and 2010 The Text Adventure game. Some type of keyboard is needed if ADAM games are ported over to a ColecoVision system (or better yet the system is able to emulate a ADAM computer).

In addition this system is suppose to emualte a TI-99/4a computer after a future promised firmware update, and the only way to do that economically is to use a PS/2 keyboard. Plus some people might be interested in a PS/2 trackball for under $25.

The PS/2 port on this system is very important.

Edited by HDTV1080P

You guys are focussing way too much on the PS2 port ;) :P

But-but-but it's right there on the front of your console picture! Gotta talk about it, since it's right under our noses! :P

Seriously, I'm just thinking ahead to the future FPGA core upgrade of the MSX computer, which is obviously going to require a keyboard. I am fully aware that right now the focus is on getting the ColecoVision core working as perfectly as possible. :)

HDTV1080P... it's only as important as the games that can use it and right now there are none, of course, and it will take time before a game is released that will use it. This isn't 1982/83, it's 2018 and there aren't millions of possible purchasers anymore, there are hundreds. Out of these hundreds, not all of them are going to buy the CollectorVision Phoenix so your installed base for creating and selling a keyboard required game is considerably less.

Maybe there will be a couple games released that support a keyboard, but it's there more so for when additional cores like the MSX are released.

Yowser! And all the keyboards with integrated trackballs I've seen seem to be limited to three buttons. Must be a standard limit. But yeah, way too expensive! :D

I think the trackball is on its own mouse connection separate from the keyboard or spliced in for the dual function PS/2 port, so the trackball keyboard would probably not work.

You guys are focussing way too much on the PS2 port ;) :P

Agreed! :D

I'm not sure why people can't just be happy that a new system will come out that I can:

A) Plug in a ColecoVision cartridge

B) It will work

C) Output to HDMI

Honestly if it did JUST THOSE THINGS I would still be throwing money at you.

The additional included games, SNES Controller Port, PS/2 Port, future systems added, etc, are all things we don't actually NEED but are AWESOME that they are there as gravy on top of the core functionality, and for that I thank you!

• Like 2

A PS/2 mouse and a PS/2 keyboard share the same pinout so they would interfere with eachother. There were laptops that supported both through a y-adapter, I think by making use of two unused pins on the port. Technically it's possible. Whether this system can be configured to to use a ps/2 mouse or trackball as a roller controller I don't know but it's not a bad idea. There's tons of ps/2 devices out there. Keep in mind that a computer trackball is usually not as free spinning as a game trackball, and there's few coleco vision games that are programmed to use the roller controller; ps/2 devices don't have a joystick mode.

Regarding porting adam games to coleco vision and still make use of a keyboard; not sure how that would work since coleco vision by itself doesn't support a keyboard. What would make sense is in the future having an adam fpga core for the system. Since adam has not yet been implemented in fpga that may not happen anytime soon, unless there's an adam fan out there who happens to know fpga.

• Like 1

Just for fun, I went to eBay and searched the Buy It Now auctions for "PS/2 Keyboard" and not only did 3,030 results show up with varying prices from 99 cents to fifty bucks, it looks like on average you can get a brand new PS/2 keyboard for about ten dollars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEYBOARD-104-KEY-WIRED-PS-2-BEIGE-ENGLISH/290994788445

Let's make this clear once for all

We're NOT going to use USB instead of PS/2
Reason being is this would boost the price of the system and we feel like the PS/2 port will serve the console very well

Plus we already have to pay for the HDMI liscence (wich is rather expensive!), cause yeah, you've to pay for the HDMI lisence if you want your system to be 100% legal (I'm looking at you, ....NT!) :twisted:

• Like 2

Reason being is this would boost the price of the system and we feel like the PS/2 port will serve the console very well

Plus we already have to pay for the HDMI liscence (wich is rather expensive!), cause yeah, you've to pay for the HDMI lisence if you want your system to be 100% legal (I'm looking at you, ....NT!) :twisted:

giphy.gif

So the DB9's go directly to the control board with no converter. Just curious about how the FPGA handles it. PS/2 is more than fine with me. :)

To be fair, the level converter and esd protection for the controllers is on the bottom of the board ;)

The esd was my main concern, due to the CVs fragile controller mux chips among others, but didn't know if it even came into play with FPGA controller input. Thanks for taking care of that.