IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Regarding the reseller discussion. I am definitely not a fan of 'wafer guy,' but I thought this was a kickstarter - right? So the point is to raise as much money as you can to be able to produce the first run of product. Then if successful, you can go to market with a full launch.

In the kickstarter format, the creator wants as much support as possible, so it shouldn't really matter what the motive of the backer is. That backer is enabling a future go to market for all consumers - in theory.

Regarding the reseller discussion. I am definitely not a fan of 'wafer guy,' but I thought this was a kickstarter - right? So the point is to raise as much money as you can to be able to produce the first run of product. Then if successful, you can go to market with a full launch.

In the kickstarter format, the creator wants as much support as possible, so it shouldn't really matter what the motive of the backer is. That backer is enabling a future go to market for all consumers - in theory.

I do not disagree with anything you just said at all. I just personally happen to think it would suck if one of the people who helped fund it was just in it for their own personal gain instead of the gain of the community and the product as a whole. It's just a shady way to get funding. Especially if you purposely horde and sell at a crazy price. It would be one thing if he price was just to cover the percentage the other parties take, but that's not the case.

But really, I don't disagree with your point at all.

• Like 2

I do not disagree with anything you just said at all. I just personally happen to think it would suck if one of the people who helped fund it was just in it for their own personal gain instead of the gain of the community and the product as a whole. It's just a shady way to get funding. Especially if you purposely horde and sell at a crazy price. It would be one thing if he price was just to cover the percentage the other parties take, but that's not the case.

Wait a minute, just checked your signature, you're the really enthusastic rollercoaster dude on youtube? Ha, been one of your subs for a couple of years now. That was unexpected.

Hi Brian.

Will the amount of money from Phoenix pre-order be put together with the amount of money from the Phoenix Kickstarter project. ?

Will the goal of the kickstarter project in that case be less when about 140 already have supported CollectorVision Games through pre-order. ?

:)

Hi Brian.

Will the amount of money from Phoenix pre-order be put together with the amount of money from the Phoenix Kickstarter project. ?

Will the goal of the kickstarter project in that case be less when about 140 already have supported CollectorVision Games through pre-order. ?

:)

Good question, there's a finite amount of people who would buy this and if 140 already preordered and those orders don't count against the kickstarter, that's already $28,000* the kickstarter won't get. I would think they would all have to count but an official answer would be nice.

* assuming the kickstarter price is $200

Ordered #141 !! :)

I don't think the #141 means "141 Systems Ordered" I think that means "Order #141" overall from Brian's web store since the day it first went online. I know I was actually the first person to place an order for the system since I was helping Brian test out the store and my order is #122.

• Like 1

Curious if anyone has any information on what controller this is? It was posted at AA in 2014.

post-25956-0-22853400-1389923183.jpg

That is a Nintendo Famicom NTT controller that has been modded to work for the ColecoVision. it's a great controller and I love it, but I personally like the Super Famicom NTT Data Controller better:

C4sDu7mWAAUcpNm.jpg

and thankfully that controller WILL be compatible with the CollectorVision system and you can pick one up on eBay for about $30 - $60. (WELL WORTH IT, IMO!) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is a famicom network controller that had the a new colecovision compatible pcb put inside so it can be used on the colecovision. A new sticker was added to the top. Here is a thread on it:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226537-famicom-network-and-sfc-ntt-drop-in-pcb-interest-list/

The original can be seen here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Computer_Network_System#/media/File:Nintendo-Famicom-Modem-Controller.jpg

• Like 1

As someone who has tried and failed to get hold of a SGM, even waiting at 2am to get one, it really hurts that someone who posts regularly in this community is profiteering off the back of a really niche product which is solely designed for enthusiasts by someone who probably hasn't made a bean of profit out of it yet. At least 14 for sale on eBay!, disgraceful.... Trying to make out that by re-selling it's doing a service to us all... so the price is raised even further to pay for ebay/Paypal's ridiculous fees ... words fail me. Edited by bobstoned
  • Like 5

Actually, I paid full price for the SGM’s I purchased. Another issue is that people that sale on EBAY and Amazon get hit with 20%-25% in fees where as people that have their own website only get charged around a 5% PAYPAL fee.

If some homebrew developers want to develop a reseller program then in the dealer agreement they could price lock the maximum price one can charge for a product. However, that price needs to be an extra 20%-25% higher for people that list items on Amazon and EBAY.

As someone who has tried and failed to get hold of a SGM, even waiting at 2am to get one, it really hurts that someone who posts regularly in this community is profiteering off the back of a really niche product which is solely designed for enthusiasts by someone who probably hasn't made a bean of profit out of it yet. At least 14 for sale on eBay!, disgraceful.... Trying to make out that by re-selling it's doing a service to us all... so the price is raised even further to pay for ebay/Paypal's ridiculous fees ... words fail me.

Couldn't agree more with bobstoned. Buying the SGMs up in bulk only to resell them adding on eBay/Amazon fees + double shipping is a major disservice to the community. It takes stock away from the original publishers and either pushes the cost up for those who want these items or prevents them from buying them due to the increased cost. Please stop this behaviour - you're only serving your own interests and no one else.

BTW - I also wanted to debunk HDTV1080p's claim that selling something on eBay needs to be inflated by 20 to 25% to cover fees and the implied assertion that this price hike excludes any profit. Typical eBay + PayPal fees for normal listings without upgrades or discounts runs around 15%. While adding on upgrades pushes this up, it barely reaches 20% even if you add every upgrade available (and seriously who does this). Amazon may be more expensive (I haven't checked) but the example that TPR cited was HDTV1080P's eBay listing.

• Like 2

I should have clarified that certain categories on Amazon the fees can be between 20%-25% for selling a new unique listing that is not in Amazon's regular catalog (That includes the credit card fees). However sometimes for mainstream high price items items like TV's and Blu-ray players that is sold by dozen of different dealers the fees are around 10% under ideal conditions (but then one loses money on the set shipping price which makes the fees more like 15%).

When it comes to EBAY in prior posts I have said months ago around 15% fee for EBAY and around a 5.25% PAYPAL fee which equals around 20% total (I should have clarified that instead of saying 20%).

Also the fees might be cheaper for some high volume sellers.

However forget about small individuals and companies selling on EBAY for a moment. In the ideal world if this CollectorVision system was popular enough the creators of the system might be able to make a big contract with Amazon directly or Walmart directly. The more resellers of the video game system the more systems that could be sold.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I should have clarified that certain categories on Amazon the fees can be between 20%-25% for selling a new unique listing that is not in Amazon's regular catalog (That includes the credit card fees). However sometimes for mainstream high price items items like TV's and Blu-ray players that is sold by dozen of different dealers the fees are around 10% under ideal conditions (but then one loses money on the set shipping price which makes the fees more like 15%).

When it comes to EBAY in prior posts I have said months ago around 15% fee for EBAY and around a 5.25% PAYPAL fee which equals around 20% total (I should have clarified that instead of saying 20%).

However forget about small individuals and companies selling on EBAY for a moment. In the ideal world if this CollectorVision system was popular enough the creators of the system might be able to make a big contract with Amazon directly or Walmart directly. The more resellers of the video game system the more systems that could be sold.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

You're talking like we're making a NES Classic alike console, wich is clearly not the case here

Also, we're not in 1982 anymore, the Colecovision is not as popular as any Nintendo systems, heck, even Atari and Intellivision is more popular, even nowadays.

Now, that being said, I've already been approached to sell the CollectorVision Phoenix on Amazon

Will it happens? ..... probably, but I highly doubt it will change anything at the end of the day

And that's EXACTLY why we know what we are doing here, a brand new system for a very niche market!

So no worries, we got it all covered ;) :)

• Like 2

The Phoenix will (evidently) have a 30-pin cartridge port to receive ColecoVision carts. But this port is managed by an FPGA-based CPU, which means it could communicate with any cartridge of a similar form factor. Have you considered doing a small adapter module for Atari 2600 cartridges? 2600 carts have only 24 pins, so a pin-out adapter should be theoretically doable (with an FPGA 2600 core designed to work with the adapter).

EDIT: Are there any commercial Atari 2600 carts that have prong-like extensions on their edge connectors? I'm talking about the parts that are used for actual extra pins on Atari 7800 carts. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to source female Atari 2600 cartridge ports.

• Like 10

You could say the thought had crossed my mind ;)

post-45248-0-61246000-1537204533.png

There are standard atari cartridge connectors available. The pins could be added to either the mold or the pcb to insert into the carts for the dust cover

Also remember there is an expansion port with an additional 17-18 IO pins.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 5