IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

You could say the thought had crossed my mind ;)

attachicon.gifExp Module 1.PNG

Cool! :) So you'd place the female connector on the top side of that PCB? This adaptor and the Atari cart would stick out quite a bit, but it would be fun to have anyway. I can imagine playing paddle-based 2600 games like Circus Atari using your Spinner controller. :D

Also remember there is an expansion port with an additional 17-18 IO pins.

It's too bad Intellivision carts have 44 pins. Otherwise you could have had a three-console-in-one magic solution. :D (Could the controllers on the Intellivision Flashback be compatible with the D9 connector on the Phoenix?)

• Like 2

The CollectorVision has really caught my attention. I've been thinking about getting into the ColecoVision scene (never owned one but played a friends when I was a kid) and something like this would definitely interest me. Add in the possibility of a cartridge adapter to accept 2600 (and possibly 7800?) cartridges and I might just pull the trigger.

Edited by ToddUGA
  • Like 1

Cool! :) So you'd place the female connector on the top side of that PCB? This adaptor and the Atari cart would stick out quite a bit, but it would be fun to have anyway. I can imagine playing paddle-based 2600 games like Circus Atari using your Spinner controller. :D

It's too bad Intellivision carts have 44 pins. Otherwise you could have had a three-console-in-one magic solution. :D (Could the controllers on the Intellivision Flashback be compatible with the D9 connector on the Phoenix?)

Just a thought, not a final board, no 2600 core has been done..yet

Just saying it has been thought about and is possible ;)

Available IO should be around 44 (27 cartridge IO plus 17 expansion port IO)

I am not really familiar with the Intellivision, but I doubt all 44 pins are necessary for hooking up to the system (i.e. some will be ground and power which are not included in the above numbers)

Debated it, but went ahead and placed my early access order. Very excited about this system, as I'm tired of fighting with my current ColecoVision system.

I currently have three ColecoVisions and two SGMs that work very well, but I ordered it anyway to get the F18A and sound enhancements that is also supposed to work with Mecha 9 and the SNES port that should also allow many PlayStation 2 controllers as well as a Wiimote (but not the motion sensing, of course) with adapters. As far as the games, I think I have them all. I think we will all be very happy with it.

• Like 2

If sometime in the future we get a ATARI 2600 cartridge adapter, then the CollectorVision Game System would do everything that Expansion Module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter does in addition to being able to use HDMI for Atari 2600 games. Some Atari 2600 fans would purchase the CollectorVision just for the ability to play their existing ATARI 2600 cartridges over HDMI.

Then if one day a ADAM core is created in software, people that own Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer well be very happy (Use the PS/2 keyboard and SD drive for virtual floppy drive storage). At a certain point the advantages of the CollectorVision system would be so great that there would not be a pratical reason to use ones old 1982 ColecoVision anymore. People would just keep the old ColecoVision around for collectable reasons.

Edited by HDTV1080P

We are thinking sometime in the March/April timeframe, but some of that will depend on how many early access systems we sell and how the kickstarter goes. The more early access systems we get the sooner we will be able to deliver the early access systems.

The system will have a manual. We would like to have a box, but due to cost constraints it will probably be some sort of stretch goal or require an add-on charge.

• Like 2

Yes the Phoenix has Official SGM support built in.

Yes, I understand that, but with a real ColecoVision that has an up to date F18A and an SGM installed the SGM enhanced music for Mecha 8 and 9 doesn't play - only the standard music plays. There is a known issue with the F18A and SGM with these two games. This was apparently broken by one of the later F18A firmware revisions.

Edited by Ikrananka

Yes, I understand that, but with a real ColecoVision that has an up to date F18A and an SGM installed the SGM enhanced music for Mecha 8 and 9 doesn't play - only the standard music plays. There is a known issue with the F18A and SGM with these two games. This was apparently broken by one of the later F18A firmware revisions.

Well, given the following claims, the emphasis on "ALL" and the inclusion of Mecha 8 on the system, one would think that it could. I suppose it could depend on your definition of "compatible", though. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/?p=4111381

Product Description

The CollectorVision Phoenix™ is an FPGA ColecoVision™ compatible system that plays ALL ColecoVision™ games

Compatibility

– Compatible with ALL ColecoVision™ game cartridges!

Early Access System details to clear a few things up:

By purchasing the Early access you are guaranteeing you will receive a system. If the kickstarter does not get funded, those who wait may not be able to purchase a system.

If the Kickstarter does not get funded, then the case may not be injection molded depending on the number of Early Access systems sold.

If the kickstarter is funded, the early access systems will be the same hardware (case and board). The Early access may have a custom label designating the system as early access.

The Early Access purchasers will also be credited by name (or handle) in the User Manual for the system as special thanks for helping to make this project happen.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 3

To clarify for the Early Access systems, the internal hardware will be 100% identical to the final units, but the software may not be, right? If so, I assume firmware updates are a simple procedure, correct?

Yes the internal hardware will be the same. The software could be different if there are updates that are released in between. There will be a method for updating the system through the sd card.

• Like 2

So to clarify, individuals whom purchase the early access system will get a completely new system at time of release at no additional charge, or just the new production injected molded case? If you do get a completely new system, does the original early access one need to be returned? I am really excited about this project, and appreciate all your work. Looking forward to hearing back from you.