IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

After a particularly fun session of Spider Fighter on my 2600, I was thinking how much I prefer the game with the left and right difficulty switches on "A" and that got me wondering. How do you get your preferred settings for 2600 games on the Phoenix when it doesn't have the same buttons? This is probably a really dumb question but I've never used a clone system before. Just original hardware and my carts.

I tried sending my above question directly to CollectorVision but I just get stuck in a perpetual loop of verifying photos on the reCaptcha, I am not a robot thingy. Don't have that trouble anywhere else but now had that problem twice trying to submit a question to CollectorVision.

Sorry, lots of stuff going on at the moment trying to get everything together for the Early Access.

After a particularly fun session of Spider Fighter on my 2600, I was thinking how much I prefer the game with the left and right difficulty switches on "A" and that got me wondering. How do you get your preferred settings for 2600 games on the Phoenix when it doesn't have the same buttons? This is probably a really dumb question but I've never used a clone system before. Just original hardware and my carts.

There are a couple ways it could be handled including having the switches mapped to the keyboard, SNES, or number pad on the colecovision controller. There could also be soft buttons that could be accessed from a menu in the core. We will provide more info later, but there will be a way to trigger the buttons.

• Like 2

Sorry, lots of stuff going on at the moment trying to get everything together for the Early Access.

There are a couple ways it could be handled including having the switches mapped to the keyboard, SNES, or number pad on the colecovision controller. There could also be soft buttons that could be accessed from a menu in the core. We will provide more info later, but there will be a way to trigger the buttons.

Many thanks. Good to know there's a workaround. So looking forward to my Phoenix.

Curious question, will there be a way to play Super Action Games like Baseball with the SNES controller on the phoenix? Or are we going to need our super action controllers for that?

Looking forward to the Phoenix, but had one question.

I know the system is going to have a Coleco cart slot and other systems will be played via SD card. My question I have is there any chance of a cart expansion module or some solution to allow Atari carts? Can the Coleco slot do double duty with the contacts for other carts?

I realize that the brunt of the games I play from Atariage are:

Colecovision regular carts

Colecovision Super Game Module carts

Atari 7800 carts

Atari 2600 carts

Since it seems Colecovision, 2600 and the 7800 games get the most attention in the homebrew community here at Atariage, I have amassed a nice collection of carts.

For some reason I would rather play my physical carts over getting the ROM or buying the ROM.

It would be great if the Phoenix can allow us to put away the 7800 and 2600 systems away and use it for what I think is the lions share of the games we buy on this board.

Is there any chance of a cart expansion e.g. like a snap on module to the cart slot or some other solution?

In any case I am very much on board and look forward to being able to at least retire my flaky coleco!

• Like 1

That is a Nintendo Famicom NTT controller that has been modded to work for the ColecoVision. it's a great controller and I love it, but I personally like the Super Famicom NTT Data Controller better:

C4sDu7mWAAUcpNm.jpg

and thankfully that controller WILL be compatible with the CollectorVision system and you can pick one up on eBay for about $30 - $60. (WELL WORTH IT, IMO!) :thumbsup:

I finally got around to purchasing one yesterday for $65 shipped off Ebay. I have not seen them listed much lower than that, but like you said it's well worth the cost for the keypad functionality with the Phoenix. Edited by Oldschool80skid

I finally got around to purchasing one yesterday for $65 shipped off Ebay. I have not seen them listed much lower than that, but like you said it's well worth the cost for the keypad functionality with the Phoenix.

Yep. Agreed. Every once in a while youll see someone from the non-typical Japnanese ebayers list one. I picked up a spare recently for around $40. Ill also be back in Japan in a few weeks and Im going to check a few places there again. If I find any for reasonable prices Ill pick them up to share with the group!

138220F0-374E-44EC-9FF5-E5020C5D4620.png

• Like 4

Yep. Agreed. Every once in a while youll see someone from the non-typical Japnanese ebayers list one. I picked up a spare recently for around $40. Ill also be back in Japan in a few weeks and Im going to check a few places there again. If I find any for reasonable prices Ill pick them up to share with the group!

I would be interested in one, if you ever find some

• Like 1

Me six.. How many can you carry?

,Dan

Ok. So does the NTT Data controller work with a north American SNES?

I just received mine and tested it, but only the Dpad is responding.

I took it apart and cleaned the board and all of the carbon dots as well with isopropyl alcohol, but no luck. No response from start, select, left, right, a, b, x, or y.

I wanted check first before I contact the seller.

Thanks!

Edited by Oldschool80skid

Ok. So does the NTT Data controller work with a north American SNES?

I just received mine and tested it, but only the Dpad is responding.

I took it apart and cleaned the board and all of the carbon dots as well with isopropyl alcohol, but no luck. No response from start, select, left, right, a, b, x, or y.

I wanted check first before I contact the seller.

Thanks!

IIRC, many Super-NES games do not recognize the NTT Data controller. The problem apparently lies with the identification bytes (or something like that) that the NTT Data controller sends to the Super-NES to identify itself at boot time, and most Super-NES games expect the ID bytes of regular Super-NES controllers.

Those are the details I recall reading elsewhere on these forums (probably somewhere in Kevtris' FPGA thread).

• Like 1

IIRC, many Super-NES games do not recognize the NTT Data controller. The problem apparently lies with the identification bytes (or something like that) that the NTT Data controller sends to the Super-NES to identify itself at boot time, and most Super-NES games expect the ID bytes of regular Super-NES controllers.

Those are the details I recall reading elsewhere on these forums (probably somewhere in Kevtris' FPGA thread).

Thanks. I'll wager then it's a working controller and test it fully when I get my Phoenix this June.

My copy of Risky Rick wont work if my Super Game Module is connected. I also have a loose Mario Bros cart that wont work if my SGM is connected. And I think the Gamester81 game wont work with SGM connected. So would games of this nature not work on Phoenix since SGM is always connected? Will new Sydney Hunter game be sold separate from Phoenix?