IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Question, do you have an option of stretching the image's width? I ask because a trick to get 480p looking better on modern HD displays is stretching the width and then turning on 4:3 mode on your TV to squeeze it back to proper aspect ratio. This really sharpens up the image. I was doing tests with the Colecovision core on Mega SG and this worked very well. 720p and 1080p still look better, but for 480p it didn't look half bad doing that 4:3 squeeze trick.

We shouldn't need to do anything to make 4:3 mode on your tv work. The TV will generally do 1 of 3 options: Wide screen or 16:9- which will stretch the image to the whole screen but have the wrong aspect ratio, 4:3 mode- which will display the correct aspect ratio with black bars on either side, or Just Scan- which will display the image at the original 480 pixel size (won't fill either the vertical or horizontal directions depending on tv resolution)

Edited by Bmack36

We shouldn't need to do anything to make 4:3 mode on your tv work. The TV will generally do 1 of 3 options: Wide screen or 16:9- which will stretch the image to the whole screen but have the wrong aspect ratio, 4:3 mode- which will display the correct aspect ratio with black bars on either side, or Just Scan- which will display the image at the original 480 pixel size (won't fill either the vertical or horizontal directions depending on tv resolution)

No, its not to make 4:3 work its to make 480p look better/sharper. The stretch is simply to use more pixels on the width end and then compress it back to 4:3 aspect ratio via TV remote to give a sharper picture, at least it does that with my Plasmas using Analogue products. I set the pixel width to +594 on the scaler. I have no clue why it makes the image sharper on my TVs in 480p, but it definitely works.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Silly question - will the Phoenix come in a box with artwork?

I asked that before and didn't get a response. I don't think we are getting a box. Just the manual and the machine. Besides I really don't want to wait another six months for a box to be printed.

Sorry, must have missed your question the first time. No we will not have a "box" for the system. It is something we can look into offering at a later time though if there is enough interest.

• Like 1

If Phoenix sells at retail stores, it would have a box with few screenshots of the games.

From mail, not worth it.

How many games will be available at the launch of the Phoenix?

For starters, every colecovision game ever made :)

• Like 2

Do you guys have a rough date for the Early Bird consoles? I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Never had a Colecovision, and this looks like the best way to get into it!

We do not have a solid date at the moment as we as still waiting on a few things to come in. We are hoping to start shipping in the next couple weeks.

The system comes pre-loaded with 10 Homebrew colecovision games and 1 physical pack in game.

There are also lots of homebrew games that have been publically released that can be loaded on the sd card as well.

Thanks. I thought few Phoenix games would be available at the launch to show full potential of the system.

Thanks. I thought few Phoenix games would be available at the launch to show full potential of the system.

I don't think they set any expectations anywhere that there would be Phoenix games at launch but some are expected later at some point. No details have been given but CollectorVision did tease a prettied up screenshot of what looked like "BC's Quest for Tires" a while back. That gave us an idea of what a Phoenix game could look like. The photo is somewhere on one of these threads. Maybe even this one. My personal wish for the first post launch anything for the Phoenix is an Atari 2600 cartridge adapter.

We already have 6 new ColecoVision games ready to be released (Standard CV games)

As for the Phoenix exclusive games, I can already tell you the first one is going to be Venture DX

Here's a works in progress screenshot:

post-11933-0-24085700-1559852958.png

• Like 14

The system comes pre-loaded with 10 Homebrew colecovision games and 1 physical pack in game.

There are also lots of homebrew games that have been publically released that can be loaded on the sd card as well.

Any chance of a discount on the collectorvision rom pack as an add-on for the Phoenix?

We already have 6 new ColecoVision games ready to be released (Standard CV games)

As for the Phoenix exclusive games, I can already tell you the first one is going to be Venture DX

In case you're open to suggestions, I would love to see Phoenix versions of Time Pilot and Vanguard. Please and thank you. :)

• Like 2