IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

2 minutes ago, Loafer said:

My lazy ass would love a wireless solution.  Come to think of it I have I think an old pair of wireless Snes controllers I wonder if they will work?

The system is compatible with the 8bitdo SNES retro receiver, so you should be able to use all the controllers that are compatible with it. I know I have tested the NES30, Wii w/ classic controller attachment, and joycons. 

But that would only be for player 1

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

I did try to reach out to 8bitdo to see if they would be interested in doing a controller like that, but never heard anything back. Although that was about a year and half ago.

I would have to assume they look at potential total 5 digit sales before they would support that. 

Its why in a way it’s too bad there are no USB ports on Phoenix, but I get why you didn’t go there 

edit: USB irrelevant with modern 8bitdo snes retro retriever 

Edited by Loafer

Just now, Bmack36 said:

The system is compatible with the 8bitdo SNES retro receiver, so you should be able to use all the controllers that are compatible with it. I know I have tested the NES30, Wii w/ classic controller attachment, and joycons. 

Ok well that has made my day!  Thanks, lazy mode engaged! 

• Like 2

A few people asked me if we're going to make exclusive games for the Phoenix

Answer: Yes! definitely!
The very first one I'm working on is Venture DX

Updated graphics, more rooms, more musics, more everything!

Here's a screenshots (works in progress) 

VentureDX.png

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 12

I believe there are wireless adapters for wired SNES controllers, so one could probably use an SNES data controller with such an adapter. A little clunky, but you would have pseudo-wireless and the keypad. The problem with anything plugged into the ColecoVision controller port is that there is no 5V 50+ mA pin on the CV controller ports, just the SNES port.

20 hours ago, mr_me said:

River West Brands did not buy Coleco anything.  They simply registered the  unused trademarks.  No they did not register the Adam trademark.

I only bring it up so if I can be authentic when I finalize my Super Games.
I really would like to use the ADAM logo and if they are going to have a fit over the Colecovision then it's a no brainer.

• 3 weeks later...

One of you should register the Adam Family Computer logo with the USPTO to make it available to the community. You don't need a lawyer, and it's not rocket science. Costs about $200 the last time I did one.

At the very least you should document commercial use of the logo to prevent some other feckless dingus from successfully locking it down. The Riverwest D-bags had no rights to Coleco or Colecovision except that nobody else protested their claimed use during the application process. There were plenty of uses of those logos in the marketplace long after it was a dead trademark and before those clowns filed their claim to it.

9wQvlXBqVq8B0Ns6A-DScAhaFW-yxOKTEFP0oBFt

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, Master Phruby said:

I gotta say I was super impressed with what Gamester81 showed off on his channel.  I have to congratulate CollectorVision games with putting together a truly amazing labor of love.  I wish I had the cash to help contribute to the company and purchase one of these as I think they have done a fantastic and amazing job keeping a old console alive and having it fresh to continue onward into the future.  My hat's off to CollectorVision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but listening to the following live stream video, I've noticed that the SGM sound output is pretty weird. Anyone who has played Mecha-8 or Children of the Night on legacy hardware with the SGM will probably notice the difference immediately, just like I did.

Was this the result of the hardware used to record this live stream? Or is SGM support in the Phoenix in actual need of some tweaking? FPGA cores can always be upgraded and improved, so I'm not really worried, but I was expecting something a little better than this, in terms of SGM sound output. The "native" ColecoVision sound output sounds okay to me, at least.

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but listening to the following live stream video, I've noticed that the SGM sound output is pretty weird. Anyone who has played Mecha-8 or Children of the Night on legacy hardware with the SGM will probably notice the difference immediately, just like I did.

Was this the result of the hardware used to record this live stream? Or is SGM support in the Phoenix in actual need of some tweaking? FPGA cores can always be upgraded and improved, so I'm not really worried, but I was expecting something a little better than this, in terms of SGM sound output. The "native" ColecoVision sound output sounds okay to me, at least.

Yeah, I don't know. I'll reserve judgment until it gets here. Then, I'm sure people will speak out if there is an issue...probably Game of Thrones style. The two sides of early adoption you have a 10x better chance of ever getting your hardware, but a 10x better chance something won't be quite right. Hopefully, with the extra tweaking they mentioned before shipping, the seriousness of needed firmware updates will be likewise reduced.,

Now that early access orders are starting to arrive... How do we know if our early access order has shipped? I haven't received an email with any tracking info for mine. Just worried about delivery timing with my upcoming schedule.

@Pixelboy

I had noticed a high pitch noise in the Tank Mission game on the Gamester81 video when the soldier get attacked by the dogs.

I just chalked it up as he said on the video that its a work in progress, the earlier July video that Pixelboy attached did not seem to have that problem on that same game.  I also think it might be feedback from the recording Gamester81 used as well.

I am sure any sound, graphics or weird issues will all be worked out, I am not worried.

I am so looking forward to this awesome console!

Edited by imstarryeyed

Call me impressed, you said you would deliver and you have .... awesome.

The gamester video for me almost fixed the damage the Chameleon one did, reason being this time he has a real system he can actually test and show vs hopes'n'dreams .... nice he admitted to the mishap in passing (no point in derailing the rest of the nice, down to earth, no over-hype video).

Hopefully in the future he would stick to review actual units or even real protos ... but now it's me who derails.

Big congrats to the team, I didn't know how much of an enhancement the F18A would bring, good job there too, tiny little jewel with DB9 joy connectors you have there, the 7800 core is for now only available on an NtMini, wonder if that would show up on the Phoenix.

Triple reference with playing Phoenix on the Phoenix in Phoenix .... (was that in Phoenix or somewhere else?).

I am awaiting for the first units to get in the hands of customers for some impressions/reviews, the package you are offering seems compelling even if I already have a MiSter and countless emulators/RPis and the likes ... once more well done, clean and functional.

• Like 1