IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

On 8/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, Pixelboy said:

I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but listening to the following live stream video, I've noticed that the SGM sound output is pretty weird. Anyone who has played Mecha-8 or Children of the Night on legacy hardware with the SGM will probably notice the difference immediately, just like I did.

Was this the result of the hardware used to record this live stream? Or is SGM support in the Phoenix in actual need of some tweaking? FPGA cores can always be upgraded and improved, so I'm not really worried, but I was expecting something a little better than this, in terms of SGM sound output. The "native" ColecoVision sound output sounds okay to me, at least.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has confirmed or denied about this sound issue yet? Also, if you listen to Montezumas Revenge in this video it sounds really odd with sound issues. Could that just be the way it sounds due to the video stream?

13 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has confirmed or denied about this sound issue yet? Also, if you listen to Montezumas Revenge in this video it sounds really odd with sound issues. Could that just be the way it sounds due to the video stream?

I asked about the sound on the youtube channel and Brian replied and told me it was a streaming issue, but that the sound was fine "in person"!  Hope that helps!

I got my Phoenix today...I love it!!  Everything worked perfect.  I played my top 4 favorite games on Colecovision cartridges...and I was super impressed.  My old Coleco controller worked great and well as my SNES controller.  Sound and video was flawless.  Sooooo glad I paid for this system :)

35 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

There was a sound issue with the core when I did that YouTube live stream. The more recent Facebook live streams and John's video should have the sounds fixed though.

Edited by Bmack36

8 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I watched arcade USAs video and it seems paddle games wont work on the 2600 core but that some kind of adapter is being worked on. Any clarification about this?

It's too back they don't make many adapters that go backwards in generation, like an atari to SNES controller adapter. I don't suppose the driving controller works. I *think* they said they planned to use the expansion port for a paddle adapter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swami said:

It's too back they don't make many adapters that go backwards in generation, like an atari to SNES controller adapter. I don't suppose the driving controller works. I *think* they said they planned to use the expansion port for a paddle adapter.

That's what I believe Willie was alluding to when I commented on his video but I was wondering if there was any confirmation or update by the Phoenix team. I've been out of the loop lately around here and have only recently been paying close attention to the Phoenix since it's now being released so I may have missed some details such as a paddle adapter 

Got my Phoenix yesterday and have played some games. Looks very good and works with my SNES NTT data controller. Small, convienent size and looks great on my 32" in 1080p LCD TV.

FYI, for anyone else interested in this, I tested both the analog and digital PS/PS2 controllers out on the Phoenix with the Tototek PS/PS2 to SNES adapter and it does not work very well. In games it is jittery and actions occur without dpad/stick/button pushes and in the menu, the PS2 controller is completely unresponsive and also makes the standard controller in port 2 unresponsive. I know this is not Collectorvision's responsibility, but I had brought it up back in October when ordering first began, so wanted to let folks know not to expect to be able to use the SNES port with a PS2 controller adapter. Not really sure what the issue would be.

Edit: in the diagnostic program with the Tototek adapter, all four direction buttons and "key 1" flash on and off continuously. This occurs whether the controller and adapter are both plugged in or just the adapter. If you press a direction button with the controller and adapter, that direction stays on on the display and the other four mentioned continue to flash, FWIW. The four fire buttons all behave okay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doubledown said:

Out of curiosity, when using the SFC NTT Data controller, what buttons are functional:

4/8 way directions - I assume, obviously

12 keypad keys?

All 4 buttons like Super Action controller, or only 2?

Shoulder buttons do anything?

Just checked it with the Atarimax CV Test ROM and all expected super-action controller buttons work using the SCF NTT. The top three buttons don't do anything and neither does "C", but the dot key (period?) is up, i suppose since some games have the up direction for jump and a jump key is sometimes preferred.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, retroillucid said:

We're working on this

We REALLY want to have SG-1000 compatibility

Just curious when is the time frame for implementing the other cores?

It seems to be released not to far in the future and after watching the first look video on youtube the only thing it does is play Colecovision games.

The other concern I have is that you can't even play it from day 1 unless you already have a controller of some sort.

I guess I never paid attention but are you guys saying for $200 it doesn't even come with a single controller?

I would suspect that at release time, and for a new system, that it does more than just play Colecovision games and that it is better than what is currently on the market for 1/3rd the cost or free.

Don't get me wrong, I really want one of these but that's a lot of cabbage for something that if you want to relive your childhood you can already do that on an original equipment.

Edited by Mike Harris

If you read the phoenix web site page you'll see that it comes with or without a controller, your choice.  And that it can also emulate the Atari 2600. 

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

I'm not aware of another fpga emulator on the market that has direct inputs for colecovision cartridges and colecovision controllers.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Loafer said:

hope these NTT pads become affordable and available again some day, hard to find without breaking the bank!

There are several on eBay right now for between $40 - $60.  I guess it's all perspective but IMO that's not really "breaking the bank" for a solid, well-built, somewhat custom controller that you could get hundreds of hours of play out of.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.47.58 AM.png

I ordered an SFC NTT controller from ebay the other day and I think I paid $48 with shipping.  Agree with TPR that its not breaking the bank, but again all is relative to the individual.  Some people will have no problem paying $70 for a Switch Pro controller (legit Nintendo version), and others will buy $25 third-party variants while losing wireless, NFC, rumble, and motion sense features.  

5 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

I guess I never paid attention but are you guys saying for $200 it doesn't even come with a single controller?

Keep in mind that Analogue's Super NT, and Mega SG, which are FPGA based SNES and MegaDrive consoles (that only play SNES and MegaDrive cartridges), sell for $190.00, and they also include no controllers.