IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

So I bought the one that was $49 with free shipping cones to a reasonable $68 Canadian.  Some of the others though came to near 100 bucks once you factor in shipping so kind of what I saw previously (I do find that expensive for a used controller but it is what it is)

so thanks for the heads up , appreciated !

8 hours ago, mr_me said:

If you read the phoenix web site page you'll see that it comes with or without a controller, your choice.  And that it can also emulate the Atari 2600. 

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

I'm not aware of another fpga emulator on the market that has direct inputs for colecovision cartridges and colecovision controllers.

Sorry, I didn't see it.
All I see is the original for $200 or for messily $50 extra you can get it in white with the ADAM label.  I did not see the Controller option.

Well no, you don't see another FPGA option because no one makes them but emulators are free and the Atari 2600 in the video did not work.

I'll wait till the price comes down to reasonable and comes with a set of Coleco controllers.

We just updated the page this morning. The first production batch is now sold out, so now there is a pre-order until we get enough orders to make another production run of boards. The snes controller and early access options were removed. The snes controller will be added to the store for those that still want to add it separately. Early Access was removed due to the fact that any future orders wouldn't be available until after the standard systems have shipped.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

Sorry, I didn't see it.
All I see is the original for $200 or for messily $50 extra you can get it in white with the ADAM label.  I did not see the Controller option.

Well no, you don't see another FPGA option because no one makes them but emulators are free and the Atari 2600 in the video did not work.

I'll wait till the price comes down to reasonable and comes with a set of Coleco controllers.

Reasonable is relative. FPGA is not cheap.

• Like 3

I would pay a extra $50 to $100+ if the ADAM option came with a actual working ADAM core. Until that ADAM core is created it would be better to just buy the ColecoVision (CollectorVison) version for $50 less. Also the only difference is cosmetic, and the black ColecoVision (CollectorVision) version should be able to run ADAM software sometime in the future once the ADAM core is created.

I ended up getting busy with other projects and forgot this item was being released. 

Edited by HDTV1080P

35 minutes ago, HDTV1080P said:

I would pay a extra $50 to $100+ if the ADAM option came with a actual working ADAM core. Until that ADAM core is created it would be better to just buy the ColecoVision (CollectorVison) version for $50 less. Also the only difference is cosmetic, and the black ColecoVision (CollectorVision) version should be able to run ADAM software sometime in the future once the ADAM core is created.

I ended up getting busy with other projects and forgot this item was being released. 

There is the key statement...SOMETIME in the FUTURE.
Until then all you get is a Colecovision that brings nothing new to the table and is not price competitive.

I'm not trying to belittle the product, I am amazed but the market determines the facts not me.

When the ADAM option is working and bug free then I will buy one because I am a die hard fan.
Can you say how many die hard nostalgia fans are out there under 40 and who doesn't run some type of Youtube, old tech review channel.

Edited by Mike Harris

14 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

Until then all you get is a Colecovision that brings nothing new to the table and is not price competitive.

It's an HDMI-based ColecoVision with a built-in SGM, F18A, and SD card slot, as well as a keyboard port and the ability to use a SNES controller. You add up a modded ColecoVision like that (not that you can even add all of those features) with a flash cart and you're not that far off, if not on par with what this costs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's an HDMI-based ColecoVision with a built-in SGM, F18A, and SD card slot, as well as a keyboard port and the ability to use a SNES controller. You add up a modded ColecoVision like that (not that you can even add all of those features) with a flash cart and you're not that far off, if not on par with what this costs.

Plus a 2600 Core!

Also, just to save a little time when the inevitable comparison to RetroPi comes up . . . And you can use the roller controller and driving expansion . . . 

20 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

You are 100% correct but what's new from 5 years ago.  Same thing, repackaged.
Is the HDMI 60 @ 4K?  What is new with the SGM?  What new games other than MSX ports.

Edited by Mike Harris

4 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

Is the HDMI 60 @ 4K?  What is new with the SGM?  What new games other than MSX ports.

there are new f18a games being created which require f18a graphics some which will only run on this new system (exclusives)

it will use original and new controllers

it will run original steering wheel

it will using original roller controller

it takes original cartridges so sketch it could work with that drawing tablet for the 2 people that own it.

it includes sd card slot 130$ + if you want to run roms from sd

it includes sgm support $95

it includes f18a support   $100 if you buy it separately and you still need to install it

it's small and portable without a giant power brick

it will hook up to modern hdmi tvs in your living room

most importantly it is brand new to replace older almost 40 year systems that are increasingly failing

will create some new interest in the community

it's an optional purchase but it's looks really cool.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

This is amusing but I will bite, let's see: snes/ntt data controller compatability including wireless control options, native HDMI output not using an off the shelf scalar, a reliable power supply.

Lets also look at the cost to create a system with all of those parts repackaged into one system:
SGM $90 retail (good luck with that, most likely 200-300 on ebay)

F18a $90 for the chip assuming you can install it yourself (not something an average person can do, so more like $150 installed)

Atarimax sd cart $125

Working coleco system $100

So your system repackaged with all parts (assuming you could even get them would run you around $400 minimum (with it more then likely being closer to $600) and that doesn't even include the bundled pack in game and software. 

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

This is amusing but I will bite, let's see: snes/ntt data controller compatability including wireless control options, native HDMI output not using an off the shelf scalar, a reliable power supply.

Lets also look at the cost to create a system with all of those parts repackaged into one system:
SGM $90 retail (good luck with that, most likely 200-300 on ebay)

F18a $90 for the chip assuming you can install it yourself (not something an average person can do, so more like $150 installed)

Atarimax sd cart $125

Working coleco system $100

So your system repackaged with all parts (assuming you could even get them would run you around $400 minimum (with it more then likely being closer to $600) and that doesn't even include the bundled pack in game and software. 

You are also talking REAL hardware prices and in a price controlled environment.
Ebay prices are inflated based on what others think they are worth.

Put it this way.
I'M not going to but it until ADAM is implemented and the cost comes down to reality.
I have no doubt that the collectors will get it but that's as far as this product will go.

It is a solid product.  It is more than I have ever done and the creators should be commended on going farther to realize a dream.  That is amazing and mind blowing when they took the step that no one else has the balls to do.  However noble that it is...it is not cost effective nor competitive.

19 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

This is amusing but I will bite, let's see:

I applaud your efforts to educate, but I know beyond a reasonable doubt that your efforts will be fruitless in this case.

All the details have been available since the Kickstarter campaign started, then on the CollectorVision website, in multiple threads on AtariAge, etc., etc., etc. and still tou have to deal with this kind of stuff.

A big "tip of the cap" to you and the rest of the CollectorVision team!

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

You are also talking REAL hardware prices and in a price controlled environment.
Ebay prices are inflated based on what others think they are worth.

Put it this way.
I'M not going to but it until ADAM is implemented and the cost comes down to reality.
I have no doubt that the collectors will get it but that's as far as this product will go.

It is a solid product.  It is more than I have ever done and the creators should be commended on going farther to realize a dream.  That is amazing and mind blowing when they took the step that no one else has the balls to do.  However noble that it is...it is not cost effective nor competitive.

Competitive against what?  There is no other competition that does the same thing other than the piecemeal, far more expensive, diy alternative as laid out by Bmack36.  Sounds like he doesn't want a Ferrari until it's gold plated and the same price as a Fiat.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
  • Like 2