IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

1 minute ago, Mike Harris said:

I'm sorry I even said anything at this point.
If you debate or complain you tend to get banned by a moderator so I'll just leave it at that.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between "debating or complaining" and making completely irrational and factually incorrect statements in an effort to disparage something simply because it doesn't comply with your personal preferences.  And the obnoxious comment about "if you complain you get banned by a moderator" is purely just trolling at this point since I've mostly left people alone to make whatever comments they want, no matter how crazy some of them may have been, as it has now been MONTHS since we removed anyone from any of these topics for *cough* having an opinion *cough*

That being said, keep it up and maybe we'll break our non-banning streak!  :P 

• Like 3

He sounds a little like he’s quoting from a certain person’s blog. But, whatever. The idea seems to be Collectorvision is making $50 profit off each one and can afford to lower the price or something. You realize if they work another three months on this thing, that costs money. Like the extra four months they put into it probably put them in the hole. Not sure about the finances, but I don’t think they’re rolling in the dough like some bloggers seem to think. 

• Like 3

You are wasting your time guys . 

Its not wrong for Mike to believe this is too expensive for him, to each is own.  His preconceived notion of what the Phoenix is worth means it doesn’t fit in his price range

mike: I get your point though you are going to wait a long time for a significant price drop.  FPGA is not cheap and when you see price drops is when vendors and manufacturers have marked up the price considerably.  CollectorVision have already stated they are not making any significant coin on this product 

in saying that although I support your  opinion I really thing you should work on your wording and especially your GoogleFu which would have easily answered some of your questions.  As it is you come off as a presumptions self absorbed <self censored>. 

Just now, TPR said:

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between "debating or complaining" and making completely irrational and factually incorrect statements in an effort to disparage something simply because it doesn't comply with your personal preferences.  And the obnoxious comment about "if you complain you get banned by a moderator" is purely just trolling at this point since I've mostly left people alone to make whatever comments they want, no matter how crazy some of them may have been, as it has now been MONTHS since we removed anyone from any of these topics for *cough* having an opinion *cough*

That being said, keep it up and maybe we'll break our non-banning streak!  :P 

I had an argument with with Marat and I was banned from his COLEM thread so some don't share your opinion what constitutes trolling.

Back in 1995, COLEM got me fired out of a contract with Tiger??? to develop the first commercial Coleco Emulator for the PC so regardless, we have been going back and forth over the years outside of Atari Age.

56 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

This is amusing but I will bite, let's see: snes/ntt data controller compatability including wireless control options, native HDMI output not using an off the shelf scalar, a reliable power supply.

Lets also look at the cost to create a system with all of those parts repackaged into one system:
SGM $90 retail (good luck with that, most likely 200-300 on ebay)

F18a $90 for the chip assuming you can install it yourself (not something an average person can do, so more like $150 installed)

Atarimax sd cart $125

Working coleco system $100

So your system repackaged with all parts (assuming you could even get them would run you around $400 minimum (with it more then likely being closer to $600) and that doesn't even include the bundled pack in game and software. 

The base of that hardware is going to be 40 years old and ratbaggy. It will sooner or later require some maintenance. So straightaway the Phoenix has an advantage. And then all that hardware is separate. The Phoenix is integrated into one package, most of it into one chip + firmware.

43 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

You are also talking REAL hardware prices and in a price controlled environment.
Ebay prices are inflated based on what others think they are worth.

Ebay is really the only practical low-stress option for getting real original hardware. I personally don't feel like cruising from flea market to flea market trying to find something. It costs time and transportation to do that.

So if you don't want to cruise from town to town, and don't want to do eBay, then the Phoenix is a good option for new hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Competitive against what?  There is no other competition that does the same thing other than the piecemeal, far more expensive, diy alternative as laid out by Bmack36.  Sounds like he doesn't want a Ferrari until it's gold plated and the same price as a Fiat.

Whoa whoa whoa...

I know it's just an analogy but gold plating a Ferrari is just plain immoral.  I have to be able to eat tonight you know.

2 hours ago, Mika73 said:

Just hope that they would sell Phoenix only because EU customs make total cost of console very high. With shipping and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they do:

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

just choose standard, or did you mean something else?

(no, you can't drop SGM support, F18A support or SD cards support to get any reasonable discount, imho it wouldn't make much sense)

6 hours ago, Swami said:

He sounds a little like he’s quoting from a certain person’s blog. But, whatever. The idea seems to be Collectorvision is making $50 profit off each one and can afford to lower the price or something. You realize if they work another three months on this thing, that costs money. Like the extra four months they put into it probably put them in the hole. Not sure about the finances, but I don’t think they’re rolling in the dough like some bloggers seem to think. 

^ EXACTLY! ^
And that doesn't even taking count the time we're spending (on our own) 
We don't make a a freakin dime out of it! Please, stop this shit!
We did it so we all have a reliable and more modern console

This, might bring us more people buying our games

BTW: I don't have a Ferrari, doesn't mean the car doesn't worth it just because I can't afford it

Anyways, haters are gonna hate

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

BTW: I don't have a Ferrari, doesn't mean the car doesn't worth it just because I can't afford it

Hey, the Ferrari comment I made earlier was referring to Mike Harris only wanting the Phoenix once it has an Adam core and at a lower price.  Not a dig at CollectorVision being greedy or anything.  Not sure but it seems you may have misunderstood my comment unless I'm not fully understanding yours.

5 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Hey, the Ferrari comment I made earlier was referring to Mike Harris only wanting the Phoenix once it has an Adam core and at a lower price.  Not a dig at CollectorVision being greedy or anything.  Not sure but it seems you may have misunderstood my comment unless I'm not fully understanding yours.

No, no worries

I've already use this analogy in the past ;)
And it's a quite good one actually!

• Like 1

It is a great device. To me it is like a ColecoVision, but also a ColecoVision 2 or 3, that would have been competing with the atari 7800 or NES. Although, with the FPGA and HDMI, it can be even more. It's not a disposable purchase like these $50-$100 items that drop to 50% on Amazon in 6 months. This is a device for those who wanted the SGM, F18A, HDMI and refurbished-like-new Collectors' ColecoVision Fanatic system now at a fraction of the cost.  Now, we just need someone to send Barb a case so she can make a dust protector for it.

• Like 4

Every time a new product comes out and gets discussed on these forums, I feel like a millionaire even though I am very much objectively not.  The amount of complaining from people over products for an optional hobby is staggering and smacks of entitlement.  Price worthiness, is obviously going to depend on how much you like colecovision, and/or whether you just have money to burn.

If you actually are into the colecovision a lot, and the community around it, it seems like it's pretty obviously worth it.  Especially if you like supporting physical releases of new stuff.  I feel like the various price breakdowns of hardware cost to put together something similar in a real system, has made their case.

If that's not enough to justify the cost to you, then just don't buy it...  I literally do not understand the people who come out for every product and are like "well at X cost it's too expensive, but at X - 15% I would totally be in".  Well then it's not for you, move on with your life, or maybe wait it out until it reduces in cost (which is unlikely for niche products like this).

Personally, despite having bought in at the early access price, I actually don't have any knowledge of, or previous attachment to colecovision.  I'm 35, although I think i played a 2600 first because of how ubiquitous they were for years, I mostly started gaming with NES.  I don't think I ever even played a colecovision until 3 or 4 years ago when I got into collecting and playing on hardware... and even then I only bought one, a handful of games, and pretty much never played it again after that first couple weeks.

So why buy a phoenix? It's small, it doesn't have to be rgb modded, plays carts and roms.  It seemed like a cool project, that actually was going to get made at least in limited quantities, and I didn't want to regret never grabbing one when they were available, the same way so many people feel about the nt mini now.  Potential future updates are a bonus.  Essentially, I just wanted one because, why not?

Am I going to spend 300 hours playing colecovision to justify the 300 i paid for it?  well, probably not.  I play games from all eras and platforms, including modern games, and particularly prefer longer story driven rpg/action adventure games.  I don't care much for arcade style, score type games.  I don't think the colecovision has much to offer in this regard.  On the other hand, I never expected it to and made my decision to purchase knowing this.

If you are on a tight budget I can completely see why this item would be a pass for you.   Then again if a few hundred dollars was going to break the bank I don't understand why you would be into physical hardware or collecting of any kind.  If that is your situation, just putting together a cheap emulator solution seems much more practical.

• Like 4

I agree, it is a resounding success, considering all the retro-projects that amount to just a whole lot of hot air the simple fact that this team shipped what they promised they would, in and on itself means a lot.

They will iron the kinks out as needed (if any), add whatever core they feel they want to add, produce games as they see fit (as they should) and if anything else they can say chin up that they did it, repeat with me, THEY DID IT.

Personally I am waiting for money to come in as well as more reviews, hopefully they can find a way to squeeze a line tripler in there (720p) but it may not be the dealbreaker I thought it would be, I admit I was thinking this project would take another 6 months at least, boys I was so wrong and actually I am happy I was wrong, the reason being is that we are now talking about something that exists, no more hopes'n'dreams, just reality, it's there, you can buy it, chances are they will make batch number two (and many more in the future), and if they manage to add a couple of 8 bits cores there's nothing else in the market like it (my preference is for 7800 and the announced INTV, but SG1000, MSX, C64, ZX Spectrum, CPC are all par for the game), the plug'n'play nature (aka turnkey solution) of this project is something people do not really appreciate enough imho.

Team CollectorVision delivered, at the price they said they would hit with the features they said they would have, I don't think there's much else to talk about. They even added a 2600 core while on the run, which I think is terrific. Think about it, a team that delivers on his promises, mind blowing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

I agree, it is a resounding success, considering all the retro-projects that amount to just a whole lot of hot air the simple fact that this team shipped what they promised they would, in and on itself means a lot.

They will iron the kinks out as needed (if any), add whatever core they feel they want to add, produce games as they see fit (as they should) and if anything else they can say chin up that they did it, repeat with me, THEY DID IT.

Personally I am waiting for money to come in as well as more reviews, hopefully they can find a way to squeeze a line tripler in there (720p) but it may not be the dealbreaker I thought it would be, I admit I was thinking this project would take another 6 months at least, boys I was so wrong and actually I am happy I was wrong, the reason being is that we are now talking about something that exists, no more hopes'n'dreams, just reality, it's there, you can buy it, chances are they will make batch number two (and many more in the future), and if they manage to add a couple of 8 bits cores there's nothing else in the market like it (my preference is for 7800 and the announced INTV, but SG1000, MSX, C64, ZX Spectrum, CPC are all par for the game), the plug'n'play nature (aka turnkey solution) nature of this project is something people do not really appreciate enough imho.

Team CollectorVision delivered, at the price they said they would hit with the features they said they would have, I don't think there's much else to talk about. They even added a 2600 core while on the run, which I think is terrific. Think about it, a team that delivers on his promises, mind blowing.

And we're going to add more cores........ ..... Intellivision, I'm looking at you right now! :twisted: ;) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

And we're going to add more cores........ ..... Intellivision, I'm looking at you right now! :twisted: ;) 

Regarding the paddle capacity for the 2600: Is the capability already in the core so an adapter that acts on the right pins on the expansion port is all that is needed or would that need a firmware update? Thanks.

I think they do:
https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/
just choose standard, or did you mean something else?
(no, you can't drop SGM support, F18A support or SD cards support to get any reasonable discount, imho it wouldn't make much sense)

CollectorVision Phoenix System standard system with a loose copy of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death Pack in game.

There isn’t option buy only Phoenix console. You have to buy game too.

5 minutes ago, Mika73 said:

CollectorVision Phoenix System standard system with a loose copy of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death Pack in game.

There isn’t option buy only Phoenix console. You have to buy game too.

No, cause it's the pack-in game

Edited by retroillucid

On 8/12/2019 at 1:49 AM, Mike Harris said:

Just curious when is the time frame for implementing the other cores?

I guess I never paid attention but are you guys saying for $200 it doesn't even come with a single controller?

The unit just came out.  Right now you can play Atari 2600 and Colecovision games.  I think that's the most important part.  I think they want to focus on getting the units into people hands before adding more features. 

200 dollars is pretty good deal.  You're getting SGM, F18A all in one small box. Plus it comes with 10 homebrew digital games, plus one pack in game.  Pretty much most people own a Colecovision/SNES controllers.  I own several modded Sega Genesis controllers for it to work with the Colecovision.  They probably would work with this console.

Plus, injection mold isn't cheap to produce all those casing.  And the time and labor, putting the unit together/programming firmwire, went into it is pure passion.  

They stuck with a plan and made it happen. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Anyways, haters are gonna hate

Yep. It's the unfortunate truth. Going all the way back to the original Kickstarter there were some people who just wanted to see this fail for whatever their own personal agenda was. Even when we were demoing with REAL hardware showing off an actual REAL unit, the naysayers, trolls and haters were out in full force.

But that didn't stop the team, and I give you guys HUGE PROPS for that.  

And look where you're at now?  A fully functioning released game console that looks and plays FANTASTIC, sold out first run of nearly 500 units, and already on to the second run.  The success has just been proven.

The best part about all of this?  The haters aren't being forced to buy it. They can just sit there and be angry while the rest of us play ColecoVision! ??

GREAT JOB PHOENIX TEAM!!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just want to chime in on a super successful delivery of the best over ColecoVision piece of hardware I have ever seen. I wasn't able to back the initial Kickstarter, and still don't have the disposable income to order, BUT, I hope one day to get my hands on one.

I have invested in so many Kickstarters that delivered nothing (probably why I can't buy a Phoenix today!). Kudos to the entire Collectorvision team.

• Like 2