IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

42 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I hope all the issues with no signal on some hdtv's is fixed by then.  My enthusiasm is a little dampened by this issue and all the above tech jargon.  That is exactly what I wanted to avoid by getting this console vs modding a CV and potentially having to learn soldering.  Simplicity was what I was after. 

Personally, I wouldn't waste any more time worrying. I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is because... that seems to be what people like to do.  But from everything I've read...

1. This issue has affected VERY FEW people.

2. The developers are aware and are on it.

3. The console "plugs n plays" JUST FINE on all six different TVs in my house ranging from a 70" 4K HD set to a CRT being run through an HDMI > AV converter.

I think everyone on the Phoenix team has responded back basically saying "don't worry, we're on it" to fix the issue only affecting a handful of people and how much more reassurance do you need?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Y'all are confusing the issue talking about HDMI spec. HDMI is a signal transport standard. It provides no guarantee the signal it sends will work on the intended device.  Any display device will have its own supported formats which is the point I'm trying to make. If one assumes the target device is going to be a consumer television in a living room, the source device must provide a signal at 720P, 1080i, or 1080p. Otherwise, you are not providing a standard television display output, and the results will be hit or miss. I have every expectation they'll be able to do that with the thing, but all this other talk is beside the point. 

That's not what the spec says.  I am looking at an older spec, however. 

1 hour ago, TPR said:

Personally, I wouldn't waste any more time worrying. I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is because... that seems to be what people like to do.  But from everything I've read...

1. This issue has affected VERY FEW people.

2. The developers are aware and are on it.

3. The console "plugs n plays" JUST FINE on all six different TVs in my house ranging from a 70" 4K HD set to a CRT being run through an HDMI > AV converter.

I think everyone on the Phoenix team has responded back basically saying "don't worry, we're on it" to fix the issue only affecting a handful of people and how much more reassurance do you need?

Many thanks.  Very good to know.?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:05 AM, retroillucid said:

That's right, and it's more than enough for ColecoVision 

240p (320x240) is technically higher than it's native resolution of 256×192 (closer to the 144p standard of 256×144) so 480p or 720p is super overkill aside from outputting with a signal that the majority of TV's will want to play nice with. :)

Crazy question: If the Spartan 6 is more powerful than the Cyclone 4, could the current MISTer FPGA Atari 2601A core be loaded onto the Phoenix as one of its cores by some schmuck like me? I'm thinking it would have serious controller communication issues, though.

Well, I was not able to use my PS1/PS2 dual shock controller with the Tototek adapter at the SNES port, but I was able to use my PS3 sixaxis controller wirelessly with my 8bitdo retro receiver, so that is even better. Bit of a hassle getting the PS3 controller and retro receiver to pair on my PC, but after reading a few trouble shooting pages, I was able to do it. It's a little strange as you need to turn off registered certificate check on you PC and not have the SPC server going, so your PS3 controller won't actually be functional on your PC when it is pairing with the retro receiver...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Swami said:

Crazy question: If the Spartan 6 is more powerful than the Cyclone 4, could the current MISTer FPGA Atari 2601A core be loaded onto the Phoenix as one of its cores by some schmuck like me? I'm thinking it would have serious controller communication issues, though.

Since it's open source you can get the source code and compile it for the other fpga.  Before compiling you'd have to modify it for the input/output circuits; video, sound, controllers, file access.  Isn't that what they did.

28 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Since it's open source you can get the source code and compile it for the other fpga.  Before compiling you'd have to modify it for the input/output circuits; video, sound, controllers, file access.  Isn't that what they did.

it just doesn't work like this
Mister and Phoenix are two different beast

20 hours ago, retroillucid said:

it just doesn't work like this
Mister and Phoenix are two different beast

Yes, that's why you port the source code and have to modify it for those differences.  It's one of the benefits of open source projects.

Edited by mr_me

Hey there.  If it's anyway possible I'm enjoying the Phoenix more and more! :)  Some comments:

To Collectorvision:  page 6 of the manual has an error:  "#4:  When returning to regular TV programming, press the POWER BUTTON on the CONSOLE unit to witch it off."  I'm pretty sure you mean to say "switch" it off :).  

To other owners of the Phoenix, here's a few things I've discovered that I don't think is in the manual so you may not be aware.  This is probably not in the manual because they may still being worked on.  This may have been spoken of before but I missed the post if it did.

- You can add scanlines to your Phoenix display.  Before loading games from SD card, press * on your controller adds scanlines. This is a toggle so if you press it again it reverts back to full res look

- The old Colecovision had some fugly sprite flicker that could be annoying at times.  Being high end, Phoenix has fixed this via it's F18A support. This is cool, however at least one game is affected:  Antartic Adventure with sprite masking causing the lower body to show when he falls into a crevasse.  No problem, press the # key before loading Antartic adventure enables the sprite fix (ie: disables the F18A) and voila!  I tested this and sure enough if I press # to turn on the sprite fix (IE again turn OFF F18A) then load burger time, I was once again greeted with sprite flicker.  Blech!  Thanks for adding this as an option though, purists will be happy they can at least experience a more true to life colecovision! LOL

I'm finding myself appreciating some of these old gems and many of the homebrews. YES I know, if I play the mame arcade versions, I can play "better" versions, but these were awesome in their own way.  Space Panic is such a fun game and heck I even found myself enjoying Super Buck Rogers again.   Really awesome job, both to CollectorVision team, the original game authors (and Coleco of old) and to the homebrew devs who's made excellent games (special thanks for the digital releases!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, Loafer said:

Hey there.  If it's anyway possible I'm enjoying the Phoenix more and more! :)  Some comments:

To Collectorvision:  page 6 of the manual has an error:  "#4:  When returning to regular TV programming, press the POWER BUTTON on the CONSOLE unit to witch it off."  I'm pretty sure you mean to say "switch" it off :).  

To other owners of the Phoenix, here's a few things I've discovered that I don't think is in the manual so you may not be aware.  This is probably not in the manual because they may still being worked on.  This may have been spoken of before but I missed the post if it did.

- You can add scanlines to your Phoenix display.  Before loading games from SD card, press * on your controller adds scanlines. This is a toggle so if you press it again it reverts back to full res look

- The old Colecovision had some fugly sprite flicker that could be annoying at times.  Being high end, Phoenix has fixed this via it's F18A support. This is cool, however at least one game is affected:  Antartic Adventure with sprite masking causing the lower body to show when he falls into a crevasse.  No problem, press the # key before loading Antartic adventure enables the sprite fix (ie: disables the F18A) and voila!  I tested this and sure enough if I press # to turn on the sprite fix (IE again turn OFF F18A) then load burger time, I was once again greeted with sprite flicker.  Blech!  Thanks for adding this as an option though, purists will be happy they can at least experience a more true to life colecovision! LOL

I'm finding myself appreciating some of these old gems and many of the homebrews. YES I know, if I play the mame arcade versions, I can play "better" versions, but these were awesome in their own way.  Space Panic is such a fun game and heck I even found myself enjoying Super Buck Rogers again.   Really awesome job, both to CollectorVision team, the original game authors (and Coleco of old) and to the homebrew devs who's made excellent games (special thanks for the digital releases!)

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated! :)
That's how we're going to improve the Phoenix experience

• Like 1

Hi to all the lucky customers of the Phoenix Game Console. I asked to J-F a minutes ago:

"Hey J-F, how about a promo for the lucky customers of the Phoenix Console?"

"Sounds good!" he said

For the next 10 days, I will offer a discount of $5 USD when you bought the physical/digital preorder of the Sydney Hunter Definitive Soundtrack ? but only if you sent me by PM a picture of you and your CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console. (Valid from August 20 to August 30 2019)

For more details, PM me or visit the soundtrack topic.

Enjoy your Phoenix!

A while ago I posted some information about using the 2600 core and how some roms were incompatible, mostly due to bank switching. I stumbled across some bankswitch conversions that make most, if not all, of the conversions compatible with the 2600 core. I also attached a file with some flashback portable roms in it that have had the bankswithing changed to work with the flashback portable. This is a mixed bag, as some now work, like zippy the porcupine, a few, such as the CBS ROM Plus games, still do not, and some *almost* work, like Wizard of Wor, such that maybe someone could fix them. Also, some of these games will not work the first time you try to load them or will get stuck on the start screen, but will run if you power-cycle the Phoenix and reload the game.

Edit: in the two folders, the only ones that don't seem to work are the three CBS games, MOTU-POHM, Gauntlet and WoW-Arcade, although I think the MOTU game may just be a broken conversion as it does not work in Stella either. The FPB version of Tac-Scan (CBS) works, but has flickering jailbars.

I am looking for the Thwocker prototype BS conversion and unlikely conversions of pitfall 2 and the CBS games.

Some FBP Conversions.zip Bankswitch Conversions.zip

• Like 3

14 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

@retroillucid

How far are we from a second batch?

2 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

I'm still waiting to get a quote back from the board manufacturer to see what are minimum order would be at a reasonable cost. So right now it is hard to say how far out we would be. The more orders we get the faster it will be though ;).

I see I totally misinterpreted the first post. D'oh!

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, retroillucid said:

If you already bought a Phoenix Early Access or Pre-order, I just want to personally thank you for your precious support!

Remember, nothing of this would happen without you

So, HUGE THANKS!

You all rocks!

''Your vision is our vision!''

your welcome :)

• Like 1