IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

1 hour ago, Bmack36 said:

There is a channel for non-early access users in the Phoenix discord, but there is not really any discussion in it. 

https://discord.gg/E3eDxUU

Makes sense since non-early access have their unit yet haha. I was just interested in the bugs people are noticing and things people think should change, even though I don't understand programming I kinda like that nerdy stuff.

1 hour ago, Loafer said:

Sorry us early access dudes and dudettes signed a waiver stating we give up our first born if we divulge anything discussed in the early access discord channel

my first born may annoy me sometimes (in fact rarely) so really can’t chance it

?

That’s okay, I don’t really need to know, just curious and excited for my Phoenix to come

I was just watching The 8-Bit Guy's latest YouTube video where he's covering his dream 8-bit computer which is going to ultimately be produced and sold as the Commander X16.  How does this relate to the Phoenix?  Well, they're designing a new keyboard for this computer and what piqued my interest is that the keyboard will be PS/2.  So here we have what will be a brand new source of PS/2 keyboards that could be used on the Phoenix.  Perifractic of Retro Recipes is heading up the case and keyboard development so here he is in The 8-bit Guys video mentioning the keyboard and also that a black cherry keyboard is being considered.  Jump to 17:05 in the video for the keyboard discussion.

Edited by Ikrananka

I just finished that video as well and it was a great update.  I am really looking forward to that machine one day.

In regards to the keyboard, I would love to see a custom matching one for the Phoenix!  I wonder if Collectorvision can do a big group buy with David and the X16 group for a design?

5 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

I was just watching The 8-Bit Guy's latest YouTube video where he's covering his dream 8-bit computer which is going to ultimately be produced and sold as the Commander X16.  How does this relate to the Phoenix?  Well, they're designing a new keyboard for this computer and what piqued my interest is that the keyboard will be PS/2.  So here we have what will be a brand new source of PS/2 keyboards that could be used on the Phoenix.  Perifractic of Retro Recipes is heading up the case and keyboard development so here he is in The 8-bit Guys video mentioning the keyboard and also that a black cherry keyboard is being considered.  Jump to 17:05 in the video for the keyboard discussion.

It would be nice if this keybaord could be used. I have a Cherry compact PS/2 keyboard, but it does not work with the Phoenix, although my Compaq PS/2 keyboard does work. I'm not sure this Cherry and that Cherry would be the same.

I looked back on some threads and couldn't find an answer to this, so wanted to ask (if I missed the question and response I apologize), with the Phoenix being out and it having some up and coming cores announced or included, is there talk of, a posssibility of or actual plans to release an Atari 5200 core?  I feel that would be something people may like/want since it goes along with the time period for the main core.

Anyway, was a thought I had as I haven't had much success in the emulation scene, and my actual system works but getting controllers that work, is another issue all together!!!  

1 hour ago, lawdawg710 said:

I looked back on some threads and couldn't find an answer to this, so wanted to ask (if I missed the question and response I apologize), with the Phoenix being out and it having some up and coming cores announced or included, is there talk of, a posssibility of or actual plans to release an Atari 5200 core?  I feel that would be something people may like/want since it goes along with the time period for the main core.

Anyway, was a thought I had as I haven't had much success in the emulation scene, and my actual system works but getting controllers that work, is another issue all together!!!  

Have you tried MAME 5200?

3 minutes ago, lawdawg710 said:

No I haven't.  I have only tried using what retropie has on emulation station for the Pi.  All that did was frustrate and confuse me so I ultimately gave up.  

A retropie is like $50 while a mini PC is like $300, so I get the attraction to using retropie. Unfortunately, many of the best emulators are only on PC.

5 minutes ago, Swami said:

A retropie is like $50 while a mini PC is like $300, so I get the attraction to using retropie. Unfortunately, many of the best emulators are only on PC.

Yeah, I have a laptop and desktop that are fairly new, so if there is something I can easily get up and running I would do it, sadly I havent found an emulator that was fairly simple to use and set up (I am not tech stupid but not completely tech savvy either)!!

2 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

There is an opensource fpga atari 800/5200 core available so porting it over to the Phoenix is possible.  Supporting analog controllers would at minimum be extra work for them, assuming it's possible.  You'd also want trackball support for missile command.

To emulate on your computer I recommend Altirra.  It's the only one I can get trackball emulation working properly.  Altirra won't work under raspberry pi, anyone get atari 800/5200 trackball emulation working there?

Edited by mr_me

18 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

Yeah, I have a laptop and desktop that are fairly new, so if there is something I can easily get up and running I would do it, sadly I havent found an emulator that was fairly simple to use and set up (I am not tech stupid but not completely tech savvy either)!!

Have you tried Jum52?

I don’t know what’s going on. What’s this Discord thing for? Is the solution to the HDTV issue going to be a hardware update or an SD card update? My Phoenix is just sitting here unusable. Should I return it & wait for an updated hardware version or is mine fine & I just need to wait for some updated software for the SD card? I’m in the dark about this & would love any kind of update.

Edited by rodge2001

7 hours ago, digress said:

i use one these boxes on the phoenix and it works great for regular tv or a hdmi tv that has a signal issue.

https://www.amazon.ca/GANA-Composite-Converter-Supports-DVD-Black/dp/B06X6HBQDH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hdmi+2+rca&qid=1568626323&sr=8-3

Hey digress, so it convert HDMI to composite (RCA)?  How is the quality when down converted?  thx

15 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Hey digress, so it convert HDMI to composite (RCA)?  How is the quality when down converted?  thx

Hi, I think it looks good. I'm less picky than some other people though as I grew up with switch boxes, static on the screen, b&w televisions etc., tune to channel 3 or 4 dial switches.

I'm using in on a 27" crt tv and I think looks great through this convertor box.

Edited by digress
  • Like 3