IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

26 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Hey digress, so it convert HDMI to composite (RCA)?  How is the quality when down converted?  thx

You could be a Guinea pig and try out this powered HDMI to VGA converter if you have a VGA port on your TV. It sounds promising as it maintains or upscales the resolution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFMW91E?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=49Y17HCQSH14Q6SZ36TQ

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodge2001 said:

I don’t know what’s going on. What’s this Discord thing for? Is the solution to the HDTV issue going to be a hardware update or an SD card update? My Phoenix is just sitting here unusable. Should I return it & wait for an updated hardware version or is mine fine & I just need to wait for some updated software for the SD card? I’m in the dark about this & would love any kind of update.

Discord is like a cross between a chat room and a forum. Basically you have real time discussions (ala chat room) but the conversation is archived so you can catch up later on (ala forum).

You don't need new hardware. You need an update to the Phoenix firmware. As far as I know, they have been distributing new firmware on the discord site. I'm not an early adopter, so I can't access the chat room that it sounds like they are providing updates.

If you don't want to mess around with discord, you could try sending a private message here to @Bmack36 to see if he will send you the latest firmware. You will then need to place it on your SD card (following whatever directions are provided with the firmware), and Phoenix should update.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Swami said:

You could be a Guinea pig and try out this powered HDMI to VGA converter if you have a VGA port on your TV. It sounds promising as it maintains or upscales the resolution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFMW91E?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=49Y17HCQSH14Q6SZ36TQ

It works! I can now use the phoenix on my VG room tv.  Couldn't get it to work before.  Now I just need to get a cable to hookup the audio.

IMG-5850.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

It works! I can now use the phoenix on my VG room tv.  Couldn't get it to work before.  Now I just need to get a cable to hookup the audio.

IMG-5850.JPG

Fantastic! Someone else was trying to use an unpowered version and I think the powered ones either have better hardware or the HDMI/VGA ports are not supplying enough power.

Someone else can try to be a Guinea pig, who doesn't have a TV with VGA to try a ring-around with this adapter and a VGA to HDMI converter like this:  https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Converter-Adapter-Output-Female/dp/B00K4W62R4/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thank you @nick3092 for that info. It’s very reassuring to know I just need a software fix. I’m trying to avoid buying an adapter as a workaround since I’d rather not use up an additional power outlet if I don’t have to. I look forward to an SD card update & will likely contact @Bmack36 if one is already available albeit only through the exclusive/private early access channels for now. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bmack36 said:

The first production run non-early access units are shipping in October. We will need to have a minimum number of pre-orders from the second batch before we can do a second production run, so it is unclear exactly when the 2nd production run will start.

Does it seem likely there will be enough orders for a second run?  If not will my payment get refunded?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, nick3092 said:

With October about 3ish days away, is there a more concrete timeframe for shipping on the non-early adopter units?

Agreed. For me it's a vacation in October so I might have to request a shipping delay until i come back but i dont know if that will be necessary or not since we dont have a more concrete shipping date. I've already been in contact with a Canadian Collectorvision rep via email. Maybe I'll fire another one off. I'd hate for a package to be sitting on my porch for a week due to Canada Post incompetence 

• Like 1

I don’t understand you guys.  I’m not part of CollectorVision but don’t you think keeping the money if they decide not to go ahead with the 2nd run would be kind of freaking illegal?

they have been in business for a while and aren’t crooks.  Of course they’d refund.  Does CollectorVision actually have to reply to this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loafer said:

I don’t understand you guys.  I’m not part of CollectorVision but don’t you think keeping the money if they decide not to go ahead with the 2nd run would be kind of freaking illegal?

they have been in business for a while and aren’t crooks.  Of course they’d refund.  Does CollectorVision actually have to reply to this?

I mostly side with you on this, given their years of reasonable business, but I can also understand some people being a little freaked out by pre-orders from individuals or group funding, where you send your money and may have to wait months to get or not get the product while the folks who took the pre-orders are very likely spending most of the pre-order money.

Well, I've been watching this project from the beginning, and I was going to order one once they were ready and available. Because I happened to be on vacation once the early risers got theirs shipped, I missed out. All the rest using up existing parts, of the second $200ish batch, were snapped up before I could request one.

Not being critical of Collectorvision here...I completely understand why they are choosing to do it this way. It's a very conservative way to minimize risk and produce what appears to be a tremendous exceptional product, but I'm not really in a position to put that much money into escrow with no end date, and not even any commitment. Even if several more batches are ultimately produced, this process unfortunately won't work for me.

Edited by fiddlepaddle
fast fingers

This is a tough road to hoe for all parties involved as far as a 2nd run pre-order. I personally would not want to put up $200-$250 on a pre-order basis without knowing if and when there would be enough orders to proceed with manufacturing. Something like this could take a couple months on up to a ?? year ??, but something tells me that once the first run have all been shipped and CollectorVision has time to work on further cores to add and updates, this will move things along more quickly.

Unfortunately an option like a $50 refundable down payment if no 2nd run / not refundable if one decides not to follow through with purchase when 2nd run is ready isn't available. It's a lot more work for CollectorVision to manage and track this, so I understand.

Anyway, something tells me a good number of people purchased multiple units from the first run and soon enough they will be showing up on eBay at incredibly inflated prices.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Loafer said:

IF we ended up not doing a 2nd run, we'll fully refund everyone

We're about 25% of our goal to make a 2nd run
The 2nd run might also be the final batch, so if you're considering getting a unit, you should consider backing up the 2nd run. 

Now, I can understand some people getting worried about their money being held for months, but rest assure, if we're not doing the 2nd run, you'll be FULLY refund

There's just no way for us to upfront this kind of money to make the 2nd batch without doing this

On another note, shipping for the 1st batch will start at the end of October :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

IF we ended up not doing a 2nd run, we'll fully refund everyone

The 2nd run might also be the final batch, so if you're considering getting a unit, you should consider backing up the 2nd run. 

Now, I can understand some people getting worried about their money being held for months, but rest assure, if we're not doing the 2nd run, you'll be FULLY refund

There's just no way for us to upfront this kind of money to make the 2nd batch without doing this

On another note, shipping for the 1st batch will start at the end of October :)

What is happening now though is that there are some that are interested that you are not aware of because they can't justify putting forward so much bread.  There's also the members who really only order when it's in stock then and there so they can get receipt of that shipment a week later.

Totally get the financial risk and why at this time you are using the current model. 

3 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Do you have a target amount of time to reach that goal?  I've already got one coming at the end of the month (thanks for the timeline!) but am considering another one already!

-J

I'm excited that I'm finally getting close to getting my Phoenix.  I was one of the backers on Kickstarter last year, and when you fell back to plan B, I was one of the first people to put in my order on the Collectorvision web site.  I believe that the Phoenix is truly a labor of love.  I'm happy to see that you guys have the intestinal fortitude to complete this project despite the risks.  We're talking a very niche market here, but you had a dream and you were able to pull it off.  My hat is off to you!  

I think it's great that you are basing the Phoenix on existing open source cores, and that it remains an open source platform.  The ZX Spectrum, MSX, and other Z80 cores should be relatively easy to port because of this. With the expansion module port, the Phoenix has the potential to support I/O and cartridge slots for most of the 8-bit platforms, though there doesn't seem to be enough pins for direct connection to most carts. There are ways around this at higher data transfer rates, but it's going to increase the complexity of your cartridge adapter.  Anyway I'm sure this has already previously been discussed in great detail.  Still the possibilities are exciting, and I'm glad see it come to fruition.  

I hope to see you guys at PRGE next week.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping that my inheritance money comes through before you sell out.  It was my Mom who decided that I was getting an Adam for Christmas instead of some other brand, so in a way it's fitting that I spend part of the money from her estate on this.  Of course I would want the Adam version.

• Like 1