IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

17 minutes ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Do you have the  Mappy rom from Pixelboy?  If so, can you see if the background music plays?

It does not for me off of the SD card or the Ultimate SD cart, but it does on my original CV with SGM, SD cart, & AV out.  

I'm very pleased overall. It handles everything I throw at it. Plus I can finally use the NTT Data SNES controller which is awesome compared to original CV controllers.

If he released it in one of his Christmas posts, then I probably do. I'll check tomorrow.

Honestly I don't get the hatred for the original Coleco controllers. They have their pros and cons, like any controller. But they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. 

18 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

If he released it in one of his Christmas posts, then I probably do. I'll check tomorrow.

Honestly I don't get the hatred for the original Coleco controllers. They have their pros and cons, like any controller. But they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. 

I was fine with the original CV controllers in 1983, but after using D-pad controllers it's no comparison for me. 

Edited by Oldschool80skid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

1 minute ago, Oldschool80skid said:

I was fine with the original CV controllers in 1982, but after using D-pad controllers it's no comparison for me. 

I think you have to tune some otherwise unused hand muscles to switch between button 1 and 2 or you get hand cramps. At least some people do.

4 minutes ago, Swami said:

I think you have to tune some otherwise unused hand muscles to switch between button 1 and 2 or you get hand cramps. At least some people do.

And those of us with carpal tunnel syndrome can't use the controllers at all, I had to buy a pair of Atari 7800 Euro gamepads to continue to play my Coleco.  

9 minutes ago, Swami said:

For me, it's not about my hands cramping.  I just feel that I  get better control from using the d-pad vs the CV stubby flat knob controller.  I do have some Yurkie nodded ball knob controllers which are a vast improvement, but still not better than a D-pad for me.

6 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Might want to hold off on updating. There is an issue with the sound in the new update.

The same one I'm having or a different sound issue? Looks like at least one other person is having the same issue. I also sometimes just randomly get a black screen and no sound when I turn it on. Have to turn it on or off a few times or put a cart in to get it to come on

10 hours ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Do you have the  Mappy rom from Pixelboy?  If so, can you see if the background music plays?

It does not for me off of the SD card or the Ultimate SD cart, but it does on my original CV with SGM, SD cart, & AV out.  

I do have the Mappy rom, and it does play music both from the SD slot and my Ultimate SD cart. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nick3092 said:

The most recent core updates on the other thread, fixed the sound issue with Mappy on both the SD card and Ultimate SD Cartridge. 

9 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Interesting. I'm still using the shipping firmware (rc7 I believe) for now with no sound issues that I have run across yet. 

I had downloaded the first updated CV core from post 1754 yesterday, which Brian later stated was causing sound issues and has since been fixed in the most recent update.

21 hours ago, nick3092 said:

On a side note, hitting the reset button on the ultimate SD seems to just take you to the "turn off the system before inserting a cartridge" bios screen.

This is common with the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. If you want it to return to the AtariMax menu 100% of the time when you press the reset button on the cartridge, you will have to download the latest beta firmware that has been posted here...

40 minutes ago, NIAD said:

This is common with the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. If you want it to return to the AtariMax menu 100% of the time when you press the reset button on the cartridge, you will have to download the latest beta firmware that has been posted here...

I flashed the june 2019 version on my cart early this morning. The reset on the cart works maybe 1 out of 5 times since it's been updated. It's been a while since I used it on real HW, I don't recall if it was as finicky. And my console isn't readily accessible at the moment to test with.

Sort of a moot point since the Phoenix already replicated the function of the ultimate SD. Just mentioned it in the event it possibly points to something not quite accurate in the Phoenix. But it could be fine and it's just as finicky on real HW. 

5 minutes ago, hizzy said:

Are any of the phoenix developers based in Montreal? Can I just buy a console from you guys? Thanks!

Yes, we are from Montreal 

It's possible to do a pick-up instead of using shipping
But keep in mind, it is a pre-order, so you'll have to wait till your unit is ready 

More informationns here:
https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

• Like 1

I just got mine, and everything is great until I use a cartridge. After that, which runs fine, it only boots to colorful garbage after being powered off, whether a cartridge is present or not. The only fix is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable while powered off, then it works for another cartridge until powered off again. Tried multiple displays, from a $99 set to a $3k one.

Anyone know anyone about this issue?

Edited by Hastor

1 minute ago, Hastor said:

I just got mine, and everything is great until I use a cartridge. After that, which runs fine, it only boots to colorful garbage after being powered off, whether a cartridge is present or not. The only fix is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable while powered off, then it works for another cartridge until powered off again. Tried multiple displays, from a $99 set to a $3k one.

Anyone know anyone about this issue?

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/4

Easiest solution is to use an HDMI switch inbetween Phoenix and TV.

1 minute ago, Bmack36 said:

No, unfortunately this is at a hardware level.

Hmm, sounds like I need to make a single switch that cuts power and disconnects HDMI at the same time. Maybe that could be an optional accessory that goes on the back, if enough people are affected. Thanks again for the response.

Any known screens that don't have this issue if I wanted to get a dedicated screen for it?

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I did find a solution, well I've tested it on one screen so far and it worked there at least. I knew I had an HDMI switch around, so I figured I'd test it, then try to add a plug to pass through the AC adapter so the switch would turn both the system and HDMI off.

However, just using the switch, and never touching it, seems to have resolved the issue. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but it works on my 720p set and I'll try it on my other sets later. Now I did have a 3 to 1 auto-switcher that wouldn't work at all, but I used a two to 1 toggle that has an LED to indicate the selection, but is a physical toggle switch. I just leave the Phoenix selected and it boots proper every time now. The LED is off on the switch when the system is off. I dunno if the LED drawing power is related, or if the switch just doesn't pass power through then. Much easier than what I was thinking, and having to switch both off every time myself (or make something new to do it).