IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

Will the built-in F18A compatibility have the option to manually switch between 4 and 32 sprites per scanline limits (i.e. the same as someone adding/removing jumper USR 1 on a real F18A)?

It would seem that some ColecoVision games rely on the original 4 sprites per scanline limit to hide parts of sprites as necessary. For example, in Antarctic Adventure when the penguin falls into a crevasse the part of the penguin's body that is in the hole is hidden. However, in an F18A modded system with USR 1 set to ON, i.e. the sprites per scanline limit is 32, the whole of the penguin is visible including the part that should be hidden in the hole.

Will the built-in F18A compatibility have the option to manually switch between 4 and 32 sprites per scanline limits (i.e. the same as someone adding/removing jumper USR 1 on a real F18A)?

It would seem that some ColecoVision games rely on the original 4 sprites per scanline limit to hide parts of sprites as necessary. For example, in Antarctic Adventure when the penguin falls into a crevasse the part of the penguin's body that is in the hole is hidden. However, in an F18A modded system with USR 1 set to ON, i.e. the sprites per scanline limit is 32, the whole of the penguin is visible including the part that should be hidden in the hole.

We should have a way to handle this.

• Like 3

We have decided to not to do the License agreement with Coleco Holdings, so this will not be an officially licensed Colecovision product.

We have now settled on the Collectorvision Phoenix name for the system. You can see an update on our page: https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/colecovision-hd-system/

I applaud you guys for dropping Coleco and going with your own name on your product.

I am very much looking forward to the start of your Kickstarter campaign.

• Like 2

Just a quick update:

We have a good time at Game On Expo showing off the new system prototype.

attachicon.gif38831579_2167204633564298_995913125356109824_n.jpg

We have decided to not to do the License agreement with Coleco Holdings, so this will not be an officially licensed Colecovision product.

We have now settled on the Collectorvision Phoenix name for the system. You can see an update on our page: https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/colecovision-hd-system/

There will be a lot of other big new coming soon ;)

That's good news!

Kudos on not going with the licensing deal. First and foremost, this is YOUR blood, sweat, and tears going into the project. You deserve all the credit for your work and you do not need any misconceptions about you trying to cling to a name from the past to generate sales. The quality of your work will speak for itself! Furthermore, you'll get all the credit you deserve for your work and NONE of it will go to the self-promoting leeches who tried to stick "their" name onto it.

This is an exciting day for Colecovision fans! We readily look forward to more news/details as they become available. In the hopes of reaching a bigger market than you initially targeted, it would be prudent to have some questions brought up and answered for those who are not in the know about this project. For instance, people may want to know what examples of controlles would be able to be used on this console. Some might wonder if a Super Game Module is needed to play the SGM games, or if the system itself handles such games. I'll have to take a look at your website to see if such questions were already answered (it's been a while since I've browsed it), but it's something for you to keep in mind.

Congratulations!

• Like 2

The specs and name for this system keep changing. I did like the ColecoVision name over the CollectorVision Phoenix name because the ColecoVision name would be more attractive in Walmart. I guess you can always advertise it as a ColecoVison compatible system without naming the console ColecoVision. Also since the CollectorVision Phoenix plays games from many different videogame systems it does make some sense to not name it a ColecoVision game system. I still hope we get the advanced sound chip that was mentioned. I am realizing anything can change on this system before it official gets released.

Edited by HDTV1080P

It's always amazing how the preconceptions around any kickstarter tend to presume the product will be on store shelves, "in Walmart" or similar. Speaking from experience, if a project team can actually produce molds for a new plastic case and a single quantity run of working electronics to put inside it, they have done all they can reasonably expect to do for their first round. If, and only if, they're successful with that much should they even start to think about retail sales in brick and mortar stores. Also, "quantity run" does not equal mass production. If they can make and sell the first 100-500 copies of a thing, that's a huge step.

The vast, vast majority of projects fail to even get that far, usually failing outright or changing course and cutting corners to produce something using existing parts, or OEM somebody else's stuff. First things first is all I'm saying.

• Like 2

If it gets to mom and pop small retro gaming stores, they will be lucky. Something like this will never be in stores like Walmart or Best Buy.

The flash back consoles that sell at places like Walgreens and Dollar General are meant to be inexpensive all in one impulse buys for Christmas. This is the exact opposite of an inexpensive impulse buy. I understand why they don't want to include controllers, and it makes sense to keep costs down, but you can't sell something that doesn't include everything you need out of the box at a place like Walmart.

If it gets to mom and pop small retro gaming stores, they will be lucky. Something like this will never be in stores like Walmart or Best Buy.

The flash back consoles that sell at places like Walgreens and Dollar General are meant to be inexpensive all in one impulse buys for Christmas. This is the exact opposite of an inexpensive impulse buy. I understand why they don't want to include controllers, and it makes sense to keep costs down, but you can't sell something that doesn't include everything you need out of the box at a place like Walmart.

A place like Wal-Mart has no interest in niche products anyway, particularly ones that are in this price range (it's difficult to get anything greater than $50 in there, let alone $200). This is an enthusiast/extreme niche type of device, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I believe it will sell very well within its extreme niche and those in surrounding extreme niches. There's a lot of potential here to move single digit thousands of units without too much trouble.

I understand that things keep changing, but right now what games are they planning it to work with? Is the Sydney Hunter game they are packing with it just a regular ColecoVision game?

The games are the most important part. If it plays only ColecoVision and Super Game Module games, there isn't really a reason for me to buy it. I have an Adam Computer, a ColecoVision, the AtariMax SD cartridge, and a Super Game Module. A regular unmodded Adam has composite video, but the lag on a modern tv is too bad for most games, so I just stick with CRTs.

It's always amazing how the preconceptions around any kickstarter tend to presume the product will be on store shelves, "in Walmart" or similar. Speaking from experience, if a project team can actually produce molds for a new plastic case and a single quantity run of working electronics to put inside it, they have done all they can reasonably expect to do for their first round. If, and only if, they're successful with that much should they even start to think about retail sales in brick and mortar stores. Also, "quantity run" does not equal mass production. If they can make and sell the first 100-500 copies of a thing, that's a huge step.

The vast, vast majority of projects fail to even get that far, usually failing outright or changing course and cutting corners to produce something using existing parts, or OEM somebody else's stuff. First things first is all I'm saying.

Quite correct. ColecoVision is not a widely-known entity in the gaming world, not like it is on these forums. Most kids today (over 6 years of age) will look at a ColecoVision game and say "meh", even if the game itself is good. Why? Because the fun factor is only one aspect of what makes a game interesting. Having the game run on "current tech", whether it's a game console, a smartphone, or something similar, is also important, because of social conventions: Someone who does most of his gaming on a PS4, Xbox One or Switch will have little to discuss with a retrogamer who sticks with the ColecoVision or NES. The basic underlying principle for kids to have schoolyard discussions is for all these kids to play games on similar machines.

All this to say that, no matter how much effort is put into this, and how much people take notice of such "console revival" projects on Kickstarter, they will always remain a small niche market. I believe that awareness of ColecoVision homebrews has increased the visibility of the platform, so aiming for 500 pre-orders is definitely not unrealistic, but anything higher than that is a serious gamble. A Walmart product this can never be, especially if it has a cartridge slot.

Also, it should be noted that a jailbroken Analogue NT Mini can already play the greater majority of "legacy" ColecoVision games (and homebrews that don't break the 32K barrier and do not require the SGM) so the draw for NT Mini owners to purchase a "modern ColecoVision" will be controllers with 12-key keypads. SGM support doesn't hurt either, of course, but there's been enough drama there lately so I won't say any more than that on the subject.

I understand that things keep changing, but right now what games are they planning it to work with? Is the Sydney Hunter game they are packing with it just a regular ColecoVision game?

The games are the most important part. If it plays only ColecoVision and Super Game Module games, there isn't really a reason for me to buy it. I have an Adam Computer, a ColecoVision, the AtariMax SD cartridge, and a Super Game Module. A regular unmodded Adam has composite video, but the lag on a modern tv is too bad for most games, so I just stick with CRTs.

There are plenty of current and former ColecoVision owners (I'm one of them) who would love a modern solution for playing cartridges and ROMs in a way that avoids legacy hardware issues and is not just a software emulator on a generic box.

• Like 4

There is no plan to get our system sold in Wal Mart or even mom & pop shops anyway, it never was in the plan
So I don't know why people keep mentionning that :?

This project is made by fans, for the fans
Simple as that! :)

''Is the Sydney Hunter game they are packing with it just a regular ColecoVision game?''

You mean, a 32K game?
No, it is not

• Like 1

There are plenty of current and former ColecoVision owners (I'm one of them) who would love a modern solution for playing cartridges and ROMs in a way that avoids legacy hardware issues and is not just a software emulator on a generic box.

Agree with Bill on this, and for me as of right now I have no way to play my ColecoVision without intruding on the bedroom flat panel, and well, you can imagine how my Wife feels about that (the Family room Super UHD TV doesn't like anything less than 480i, I believe).

While I've looked at the OSSC, it lacks an S-VIDEO or composite hookup, so that's not an option for me either. I also don't have $400 to pick up a used Framemeister.

The only thing I wish CollectorVision or OPCODE had taken up in addition to their consoles would be replacement controllers to go with their new systems.

I'm guessing the cost to develop and produce controllers in addition to their systems was just too prohibitive.

We're going to work on a brand new comfortable & reliable controller as soon as the CollectorVision Phoenix Console is out :)

That my friend, is fantastic news. I can't use the Coleco controller anymore as it kills my hands after a short amount of time. If you need anybody to play test your controllers down the line when you get to that point, keep me in mind.

For me if its not the original hardware, then just use a Raspberry Pi or your emulator of choice. I see pros and cons for original hardware versus emulators, but I don't see the point of an in between solution like Yobo NES clone consoles, the Retron 5, flashback consoles, etc.

A lot of the legacy hardware is very reliable as long as you have basic soldering skills to make basic repairs.

That my friend, is fantastic news. I can't use the Coleco controller anymore as it kills my hands after a short amount of time. If you need anybody to play test your controllers down the line when you get to that point, keep me in mind.

I honestly never had any problem with the original CV controller, but I can understand why people hate using it

Over the years, I can't count how many times I heard people complaining about the stock CV controller, wich alot of these folks had their controllers modded (Ball top, straightened cord etc..)

That's why we want to make new comfortable & reliable controller,

Edited by retroillucid

We're going to work on a brand new comfortable & reliable controller as soon as the CollectorVision Phoenix Console is out icon_smile.gif

Ben Heck made a better Atari 5200 controller.

If you could make a better ColecoVision controller, it would sell like hot cakes. Ben Heck has made so many controllers over the years, it would be foolish to not reach out to him for design ideas.

While I've looked at the OSSC, it lacks an S-VIDEO or composite hookup, so that's not an option for me either. I also don't have $400 to pick up a used Framemeister.

The upcoming RetroTINK, from the people that developed the OSSC,may be what you're looking for. The RetroTINK will take composite, s-video and component 240p inputs, line double them to 480p, and outputs to HDMI. You can sign up to the waitlist here. BTW - I'm not endorsing this product, just thought it may fit the bill for you.

• Like 1

I honestly never had any problem with the original CV controller, but I can understand why people hate using it

Over the years, I can't count how many times I heard people complaining about the stock CV controller, wich alot of these folks had their controllers modded (Ball top, straightened cord etc..)

The biggest problem is buttons and joystick not working. Or all the buttons work, but you need to press some of them really hard to make them work. Its difficult to play a game when Up and Right work, but Left and Down require a lot more force to get to work.

Ergonomics and the coil cord are not big problems for me.