IGNORED

Bought out GameGavel.com, need community input.

PikoInteractive

Hey guys, as many of you may not now. I (Eli, not Piko Interactive) bought out GameGavel.com and Retro Magazine.

GameGavel.com is currently running a very outdated system. Want to keep it a marketplace and slowly incorporate other cool features.

But when it comes to the marketplaces, what would you like to see implemented? What would make you sell on the site?

I plan to make it free for listings that are sold in a local meet (like letgo/craigslit). Free listings and only 3% commission on a sold shipping item on the site.

I don't even know if we should keep the auction side of things as it seem everyone currently listing are listing mostly "buy it now".

I plan to dynamically bring more people to sell to the marketplace etc.

But features you'd like to see, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 7

I would be very interested in what you will be doing to recruit sellers. That is the number one problem of the site.

I have a plan, starting locally in stores, flea market vendors, people in local meets etc. Then visiting expos in the Texas region and maybe Oklahoma to recruit sellers. I also plan to recruit other vendors that work in the monthly membership industry that liquidate their slow moving or left over inventory on the site, so members can get cool deals. Same bringing over "artists" vendors like the ones that do custom shirts, etc etc etc.

I'd like to bring over Half Price Books and 2nd and charles as I know a couple of people in corporate. These should bring a ton of listings. (and educated them on how to reasonably price their games!) (may be bring goodwill too).

Incentives like giveaways/prizes for vendors that bring more sales or more listings.

Also, one thing I do plan is to really keep an eye for reproduction/bootleg games. which is something ebay,alibaba, and amazon are really not paying attention. Their marketplaces are full of them now. This turns off vendors as it is very hard to compete with piracy prices.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 1

One of the biggest complaints I have about ebay is you can't complain to them about any specific problem you have. They have every pre-thought up idea for you which doesn't include every scenario, which ticks me off because the users should be able to write a company and tell them how they feel.

Another big issue I have with ebay(one of the ones I tried to write them about) is that I believe you should be able to report an item for being listed in the wrong category, and an automated system to automatically remove(or send message to seller warning if they don't move it that it will automatically get removed, or even automatically moving it to correct category) those items when enough people report it. For example if I go on ebay searching for a console and choose "Video games and consoles", then select just "Video game consoles", I shouldn't have to look at anything that is not a video game console in that category.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 3

One of the biggest complaints I have about ebay is you can't complain to them about any specific problem you have. They have every pre-thought up idea for you which doesn't include every scenario, which ticks me off because the users should be able to write a company and tell them how they feel.

Another big issue I have with ebay(one of the ones I tried to write them about) is that I believe you should be able to report an item for being listed in the wrong category, and an automated system to automatically remove(or send message to seller warning if they don't move it that it will automatically get removed, or even automatically moving it to correct category) those items when enough people report it. For example if I go on ebay searching for a console and choose "Video games and consoles", then select just "Video game consoles", I shouldn't have to look at anything that is not a video game console in that category.

Yes one of the biggest issue on Ebay is that is a broad marketplace. So they clearly dont have specialized staff that know about video games. So yeah we will have a support email where you could write about an issue.

On the category, that is a double edge sword. You just described how I find deals on ebay. Most of the time items in wrong categories have no bids or go way less for what they sell for. Same with misspelling on title.

• Like 4

Yes one of the biggest issue on Ebay is that is a broad marketplace. So they clearly dont have specialized staff that know about video games. So yeah we will have a support email where you could write about an issue.

On the category, that is a double edge sword. You just described how I find deals on ebay. Most of the time items in wrong categories have no bids or go way less for what they sell for. Same with misspelling on title.

While that is true sometimes it can also cause you to miss out on deals because too much time browsing thru stuff you weren't even looking for then clicking on an item you finally get to and like and once you click on it see "This item has ended" or whatever it says.

EDIT:

But I guess to if it was easier for me to browse it would have been too for the person that started just a few seconds earlier and I still would have missed it now that I think about it. I just hate though clicking on "game consoles" and scrolling through 2 pages of thumbstick covers or video game artwork while looking for game consoles, for an example, and I don't want to narrow my searches because I want to see all consoles priced low to high.

Edited by SignGuy81

While that is true sometimes it can also cause you to miss out on deals because too much time browsing thru stuff you weren't even looking for then clicking on an item you finally get to and like and once you click on it see "This item has ended" or whatever it says.

EDIT:

But I guess to if it was easier for me to browse it would have been too for the person that started just a few seconds earlier and I still would have missed it now that I think about it. I just hate though clicking on "game consoles" and scrolling through 2 pages of thumbstick covers or video game artwork while looking for game consoles, for an example, and I don't want to narrow my searches because I want to see all consoles priced low to high.

Ahh I see what you say. Yeah, on ebay normally you have to go through a couple of sub categories to land there.

Ahh I see what you say. Yeah, on ebay normally you have to go through a couple of sub categories to land there.

Yes, for example under "Video games and consoles" the people posting thumbstick covers should have them placed in the sub category "Video game accessories" but instead have it in the sub category "Video game consoles". And also people will post video games in "Video game consoles" sub category instead of the correct sub category under "Video games and consoles" which would be "Video games". And artwork or video game figures should be posted in the sub category "Video game merchandise". It drives me crazy. That have all these categories for a reason.

I have a plan, starting locally in stores, flea market vendors, people in local meets etc. Then visiting expos in the Texas region and maybe Oklahoma to recruit sellers. I also plan to recruit other vendors that work in the monthly membership industry that liquidate their slow moving or left over inventory on the site, so members can get cool deals. Same bringing over "artists" vendors like the ones that do custom shirts, etc etc etc.

I'd like to bring over Half Price Books and 2nd and charles as I know a couple of people in corporate. These should bring a ton of listings. (and educated them on how to reasonably price their games!) (may be bring goodwill too).

Incentives like giveaways/prizes for vendors that bring more sales or more listings.

Also, one thing I do plan is to really keep an eye for reproduction/bootleg games. which is something ebay,alibaba, and amazon are really not paying attention. Their marketplaces are full of them now. This turns off vendors as it is very hard to compete with piracy prices.

I tried to get many vendors from our show to sell on GG but most did not like the way you listed items on the site (different then the way ebay does it) since I never really sold things on ebay I had no issues using the site listing things. just something you should think about... (don't ask me how it's different I don't know LOL)

Good Luck,

Rick

• Like 1

As long as you don't adopt ebay's the-seller-is-always-wrong philosophy, I'll be happy. And don't include shipping cost in fee calculations - sellers shouldn't lose money (or have to overcharge just to break even) on shipping. Actually, come to think about it, just do the opposite of nearly every change ebay has implemented in the last 5-10 years and you should be good.

• Like 8

Dude you never told me, fantastic! Hopefully you can make both those trainwrecks finally useful.

As to gamegavel. I can think of a few anti-ebay measures that would be helpful knowing my gripes and others over the years.

- Take both sides into consideration on a dispute

- Allow sellers to leave feedback freely as a buyer can do

- Do true to real life auctions! Have an end time, but if people continue to bid leave the option open for +1 minute for counter bids to roll in. It's only to the benefit of the seller, and you (due to the cut) to make more money as the seller really will get the value, not what some douche snipes in the last microsecond out from under someone else.

- Don't allow set it up so sellers can pay additional fees to choke out the standard seller, no best match, no guaranteed shipper status, none of that -- all things equal under a defined or sectional search

Anyone with an existing account, and up until maybe 30days in for sign ups...grandfather in some perks. Perhaps a free store account which drops the fees by a percent (2% vs your standard 3%), and other little thank yous like that.

Defining down the sections a bit better than ebay, having the system auto-sort it properly if someone tries ot cheat it to sell their crap. Wow I searched for 'Bangaioh N64' and instead of the game, I get 5 stupid ass 50cent magnets with a slik screened image of the game box on a magnet for $3. I don't need to see that any more than I need to see standard accessories showing up in a console search clouding out what I was after for senseless filler.

• Like 1

Yes, for example under "Video games and consoles" the people posting thumbstick covers should have them placed in the sub category "Video game accessories" but instead have it in the sub category "Video game consoles". And also people will post video games in "Video game consoles" sub category instead of the correct sub category under "Video games and consoles" which would be "Video games". And artwork or video game figures should be posted in the sub category "Video game merchandise". It drives me crazy. That have all these categories for a reason.

They did actually care, about 15 years ago, lasted for a little while and then it all went to shit. I gave up ebay and PayPal many years ago, because the bottom line is, you always lose. I buy stuff from ebay all the time, don't get me wrong, but selling or using PayPal without a credit card, that is covered, NO BUENO!

Always ends up in bitching about being stupid on this forum or to someone else. Not worth the raised blood pressure to me. LOL

• Like 1

I don't even know if we should keep the auction side of things as it seem everyone currently listing are listing mostly "buy it now".

Doing so would humorously negate in part the rationale behind the existing branding of the site as GameGavel.

• Like 4

I agree, do what eBay doesn't do now.

Do not expect a cut of shipping like eBay.

No Global Shipping Program or equivalent.

Dont allow stock images

Change how buy it now works so the site isn't cluttered up with scalpers and their pipe dream $2000 Spiker carts that don't move. Maybe listing fees go up each week it doesn't sell or better yet, no buy-it-now initially, bring back the thrill and anxiety of the potential deal, but still allow reserves.

I wouldn't mind some expansion to non-game items like books or model kits, I'm getting tired of the auto pricing on some of the book sites where the older the book is and the less it appears in their system results in recent 50 dollar books auto priced at 1000.

As a past seller on GG, the biggest problem was little or no traffic.

I spoke with "Mike" several times about that problem and he always assured me that there were big plans in the works

to generate traffic.

I gave up after a year, nothing had really changed other then it seemed that there was always a plan to generate

a miracle.

And it is a shame what happened to it, I think when he originally started it, there was a lot of interest, based on

the anti Ebay theme. But somewhere along the way it lost its direction.

If the OP wants to really make it go, you need a way to generate and keep interest, check with your sellers occasionally to

see if they are happy, ask for suggestions, let them know you are really interested in their well being.

And good luck, I hope it all works.

I'll address the suggestions later on today.

But quickly @icemanxp300

Unfortunately we just bought the domain, logo, name, and Ip. We didnt buy game gavel llc. That business probably is or is going bankrupt and are liquidating assets to pay creditors etc.

So we are not responsible for lifetime memberships. The site will be built again from the ground up, the only thing that will stay the same is the domain, name and logo, social media accounts.

• Like 1

I'll address the suggestions later on today.

But quickly @icemanxp300

Unfortunately we just bought the domain, logo, name, and Ip. We didnt buy game gavel llc. That business probably is or is going bankrupt and are liquidating assets to pay creditors etc.

So we are not responsible for lifetime memberships. The site will be built again from the ground up, the only thing that will stay the same is the domain, name and logo, social media accounts.

Whatever.

Sure =)

So let me get this straight, you purchased an auction site in which you are expecting to keep the name, domain, and keep the member base. However you think you can just toss out binding contracts made to said auction site to said members in which members paid for? Good luck with that.

• Like 4

Not to be rude but seriously, I suggest starting a different video game auction site without the name "Game Gavel" and a different retro video game magazine without the name "Retro Magazine."

Those two I.P.s are seriously tarnished and if you use them you will be starting way behind the starting line. It would be a shame for you to waste time, money and effort with them.

• Like 13