IGNORED

Bought out GameGavel.com, need community input.

PikoInteractive

Shipping via ebay, etsy, PP, hell even my personal USPS account all give me about the same discounts on most packages.

Quick question. How do you get a discount with your USPS account? I've been paying $6.45 for a small flatrate priority box purchased from paypal but the USPS charges me $7.10 online. Is there some discount I don't know about?

Quick question. How do you get a discount with your USPS account? I've been paying $6.45 for a small flatrate priority box purchased from paypal but the USPS charges me $7.10 online. Is there some discount I don't know about?

I don't think you get a discount anymore. Before, I think, January, USPS.com gave you a discount for shipping online. For some reason, they changed it to the same rate as walking up to the post office. Paypal still has that discount.

Yeah I haven't used my USPS account much and it does appear it doesn't give any benefits now over walk-ins. I use to use it mainly to fulfill orders to international buyers as paypal restricts first class purchases. I canned most international sales last year though so I don't use USPS much now. back then it had discounts.

As far as USA sales you can go into paypal and use multi-order shipping for sales that you can't directly print a label for such as gifted payments.... well at least I can on my account. It did not seem to work to well on my wife's account the one time I tried it.

Serious question: what did GG give you that you couldn't do yourself with a simple web shop?

I guess it comes down to my personal skills. I wouldn't know where to begin with making my own webshop or paying the money to set one up. If I had to do it again I know there are things like Squarespace these days that would probably be pretty easy to use.

Also, I set up my GG store long before the whole Reto VGS/Coleco Chameleon fiasco. I lost a lot of regular customers because of that. Even though no percentage of my sales was going towards the previous owner of the site (I had an unlimited no fee account), many people refused to use GG on principle. But by that point all my listings were on GG and as I said before I lack the skills needed to easily transfer them somewhere else so I kept them there.

I am actually hoping that with a new owner some of my old customers will come back. Selling items online is just a hobby for me so if it does well that is great, if not I'll find another place. Or just sell through facebook or something.

• Like 1

Wow so much f'ing negativity in this thread. But that's the internet for you. Some of you people need to relax, life's too short to be all wound up like that.

I for one wish Piko good luck and once GG is fully operational and running I'll check it out as a buyer. But my selling days are over since ebay and its shady scammers ... I mean buyers ... screwed me over the last time. i definitely like a few of the ideas here in this thread but I must absolutely emphatically recommend making the feedback systems two ways as well as the issue resolver. DO NOT FAVOR THE BUYER! Each case/issue should be handled individually and ruled on actual evidence and without favoritism one way or another. Too many times f'ing ebay awarded a scammer buyer of mine their refund or adjustment when it was clear they were gaming the system. Let the two parties also be able to work out a resolution themselves first...

My last 2 suggestions are these. It is ok to have ads but please for the love of all that's holy (and unholy) do not take up a ton of screen real estate with it. If you don't know what I mean just visit cnn.com or foxnews.com and just look at all of that real estate taken up by ads--especially once you click in on a story. And if you can implement it a "slim" and "regular" view would be nice with the slim view focused on getting the most items on screen as possible because scrolling sucks. LOL

Edited by jce3000gt
  • Like 2

If the buyer has no protection, s/he will take money elsewhere. I know I would.

You misunderstand. You're assuming I said the buyer has no protection and that isn't the case. What I'm saying is both parties need transaction protection. If sellers don't have the same level of protection then you'll have less sellers. Each issue should be dealt with without bias towards either party and as such the evidence needs to decide the case resolution if both parties do not work it out themselves within a reasonable time frame.

I didn't read the whole topic so I don't know if you've ever sold at all on ebay in any capacity but I have, and by a decent amount when I did it part time a few years ago. I even made it up to silver at one point which was nice. As a seller I had ZERO protection and like many others were scammed by buyers where ebay/paypal always sided with regardless. For every ~15 transactions I had at least 1 scammer I had to deal with. That shit isn't fun and I couldn't tolerate ebay/paypal siding with all of them regardless if they were clearly fabricating a story. For example, I had a guy buy a Windows 2003 Server R1 beta disc new and sealed. He then opened a case on ebay saying it was opened and also that it didn't work. I had recorded a video of me putting that product in the shipping box sealed for just this very occasion. Ebay had him ship it back to me at my cost and give him a full refund with refunding his shipping too. When I got it back it was indeed opened, rather poorly I might add, and after running several block by block and installation tests the disc was perfect. He just copied it for free. Ebay sided with him even though I had video evidence of the listing details and of the sealed product being packed up in the shipping box while standing in the post office!

Edited by jce3000gt
  • Like 2

I suppose that I never really saw the point of sites like Game Gavel. It all seems very impersonal, sterile, and unfriendly. I've checked out a few, briefly, and the vibe sucks. ('Stats', filling in endless needless little boxes, scoring, pending trades, blah blah blah....why make the uncomplicated complicated? Ugh, who needs any of the bureaucratic bullshit?)

Is this what we've become or wish to become? Institutionally conformed, filling out 'trader reports', and other aloof nonsense? 'Organized' (??) websites profiting from our oftentimes baseless lack of trust for each other under the ridiculous and unenforceable illusion of "buyer protection"? Along the same unsettling lines as VR "sex" and lifelike fleshy robots, no? I'd urge caution when wandering too far down this dehumanizing road.

Make connections, be a DECENT person, be HONEST, get OUT to fleas and thrifts, take CARE of your partners, actually SPEAK with people, etc., ffs.....the immense vastness of the internet, resources and potential connects galore, and folks need to have their hands held and guided via PAID organized game swapping sites?

How sad.

I just got the mass email from Eli this week. I thought the following: "Hmmmm, Game Gavel, I forgot I had an account there. Wait...Isn't Game Gavel the outlet associated with the RetroVGS/Chameleon guy? Oh well, I hope the new ownership makes a go of it. I don't have a ton of interest, but maybe I'll check back in a few months."

After reading Eli's defensive and condescending posts in this thread, all interest is lost.

• Like 7

Yes one of the biggest issue on Ebay is that is a broad marketplace. So they clearly dont have specialized staff that know about video games. So yeah we will have a support email where you could write about an issue.

On the category, that is a double edge sword. You just described how I find deals on ebay. Most of the time items in wrong categories have no bids or go way less for what they sell for. Same with misspelling on title.

That's how I got my first 1200XL on eBay, along with a Percom AT88-S1 FDD and around 75 floppies for about $40 + shipping. IIRC it was listed under Video Game Consoles.

I'd be interested in how you handle gamegavel. The issue I see with mercari is they give you coupons for use in their site as discounts which is awesome but the out of control seller prices really kills my plans of ever using the app. Other apps doesn't seem to have this issue.

So I guess combating over charging if possible would be something I would be interested in hearing or seeing how it is done. People won't go to a site if they know the prices aren't of the planet earth before they go to the site or app

So I guess combating over charging if possible would be something I would be interested in hearing or seeing how it is done. People won't go to a site if they know the prices aren't of the planet earth before they go to the site or app

You can not control what people ask for their items. Simply do not buy the items and the seller will lower the price if they really want the item to sell. That is how you combat over charging. Insinuating putting a price cap or similar feature on an auction site is just absurd.

I would like to see a mobile app , so that sellers can list items using their phones. It is much easier than using a PC.

It is also easier to make purchases using a mobile app.

I also bought an unlimited account years ago and maybe sold a few things. I don't remember why I drifted away from the site.

It would be great to have a true gaming auction site to both buy and sell from. I can't stand using ebay but its really the only alternative.

my user name on the site is dsullo

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get an endicia account. Although discount is minimal.

-------------------------------------

I'm working on the site on my free time.

Should have a beta soon, BIN marketplace only at first, then implement auctions (honestly the old site only had BIN listings).

Will separate auction page and marketplace page.

People will have a period to re-sign up, if they don't withing this period (if they had an unlimited account) they will lose their grandfathered status.

We have control over listings, so people will be able to complain and we can de-list listings etc. We can bulk upload for the vendors if they have a CSV file.

Edited by PikoInteractive

• 1 month later...

I was doing a random search and found out that ReadRetro is posting again: http://readretro.com

The first couple of stories I clicked on were written by Carl Williams of http://retrogamingmagazine.com, user " triverse" on here. I guess he finally realized his dream of taking over Mike's empire.

No offense meant to Piko, but the site/mag really needed a native English speaker, and Carl is a good choice.

He's a good man, and thorough. Should come around here more often.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I tried to log into my account in the last month on GG or so as I logged it in periodically to keep it active and it was dead. So despite the promised, it got wiped even though I kept the thing active. Guess they don't want to honor the existing 'free' accounts anymore.