IGNORED

Ants (WIP)

atari2600land

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again. I'm anxiously awaiting the SD cartridge, but until then, I need someone to test again. I changed the ant sprite to 4 bit depth as well as the finger shadow. In order to change it to 4 bit depth, apparently I need to put it in grayscale. I also changed the title screen a little and changed the option screen code around. As always, press B on the option screen to start a new game.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/ants20170612romonly.zip

I have decided that since nobody is willing to test the latest one to see if I improved it any, I am going to suspend this project. If the Jaguar SD cartridge gets released and I get one (I want to get one, just don't know how many will be made.) then I'll start it back up again.

The link to the file in case someone wants to change their mind, is in post #55.

Yay, it works! (although I do need to change and recolor the finger shadow. It shouldn't be pink like that.) Right now, there's no way to win or lose, it's just squishing bugs. I plan on adding a choice of death, though: One is just having a squishing timer, and the other is having bees come into the screen and flying across the screen and the arm has to dodge them. Hence the bees on/off choice I put in the options screen. Now that I know it's working, I can go ahead and continue. Thanks for running a test, Cyrano!

• Like 1

Went back to work and added a timer. And I think I fixed the finger shadow color problem. The timer is only visible if you select the bees option to "off." Otherwise, the bees will come. That is, in the final version. I haven't put in any yet. Would anyone like to design a 2-sprite animated bee for me? It only has to face one direction, I can flip the sprite if needed.

post-9475-0-27503300-1497867677.png

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/ants20170619v2romonly.zip

Edited by atari2600land

Like have a pile of them at the top of the screen and still have the ants move randomly like they do now, but if they get close to the sugar lump pile, have an ant pick up and take a sugar lump and carry it off. That'd be a lot of work, but I guess I could try. I'd want to finish my original idea first before I would add game modes, though. The game is still in its earliest stages.

• Like 1

What I'd think could be a simple setup would be random placement of sugar cubes in the middle of the screen. If a randomly moving ant collides with it then change graphic and start them moving to either left or right side horizontally only. If finger hits then revert to sugar only at that point.

No real ant logic would be required at that time so should make it easier.

Later down the line I'd probably suggest different coloured ants with an acidity factor that would cause finger to swell if too many hit in a row etc.

This is all just blue sky thinking of course.

• Like 1

You could have red 'fire' ants which would cause swelling for a period of time. Too much swelling and the finger stops.

Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone who's ever lived in "fire ant" territory automatically thinks of them (and their painful stings) when they hear the word "ants".

• Like 4