IGNORED

Ants (WIP)

atari2600land

They were 24-bit, but I got them down to 16-bit. And I put them in ABS instead of ROM.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/

seems to be working just fine in VJ. I will try on my Skunk and let you know if there are any graphical errors. Nice touch with the bee andforcing the player arm to move upward to avoid it.

Hello!

They were 24-bit, but I got them down to 16-bit. And I put them in ABS instead of ROM.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/

The 3 background images are now ok (on my PAL-K-Jag with CD-Player and Rev. 3 Skunkboard), but the music/sfx is still just hissing noise :(

Also: The game stucks after one play in the "Game Over" screen (with the ants moving around).

Kind regards

Matthias

You can keep adding items to RAM (abs) but at some point you will run out of RAM and have to use ROM. At that point you need to change the romwidth as I detailed in an earlier post for this to work on a Skunk. For any other cart the default RB+ rapapp.s settings are fine (eg. don't include the change). VJ doesn't seem to care what this is set to.

So if you have room, put the music in abs now too and that should fix the hissing. When the abs file gets to around 1.9MB then it will stop working unless you switch some assets to ROM.

Edited by Sporadic

Putting the music in abs makes the music all screwed up in Virtual Jag. I changed the params and it didn't help.

You're using zeroplayer. The calls in your code are currently set up for when the sound lives in the ROM.

Your SNDZEROPLAY calls need changing. Look in the docs folder of RB+, the quickref.txt . Search for the SNDZEROPLAY command and on the right you will see it says "example for playing from ram (abs).

Do that ;)

Basically you need to remove the (void*) and wrap all the address names with strptr().

Eg (To quote your code);

ROM (Your current code)

SNDZEROPLAY(3, (void *)SFX_INGAMEMUSIC, (SFX_INGAMEMUSIC_end-SFX_INGAMEMUSIC+3) and 0xfffffffc, 23084/8533, Zero_Audio_8bit_Unsigned|Zero_Audio_Looping)

RAM (abs) (When you change the sound asset to abs)

SNDZEROPLAY(3, strptr(SFX_INGAMEMUSIC), (strptr(SFX_INGAMEMUSIC_end)-strptr(SFX_INGAMEMUSIC)+3) and 0xfffffffc, 23084/8533, Zero_Audio_8bit_Unsigned|Zero_Audio_Looping)

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 1

Hello!

New version up at the site. I put the site URL in my signature.

Now the music is ok, probably the sfx too.

But now there is a delay of almost 10 seconds between start of the ROM-image and the appearance of the title screen.

The target focus isn't below of the forefinger, but left of it as it would indicate the middle of the hand.

User interface: Starting a game using OPTION isn't really intuitive, neither is it to use PAUSE to leave the GameOver-screen.

Best regards

Matthias

PS: Signatures are only visible for people who are logged in.

User interface: Starting a game using OPTION isn't really intuitive, neither is it to use PAUSE to leave the GameOver-screen.

Agreed I think mapping these functions to B would be best. If you are looking to be able to turn the bees off on the fly during gameplay, you can simply copy the code you already have and keep the OPTION function as well. But for starting up I think B would be best.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Hello!

The 3 background images are now ok (on my PAL-K-Jag with CD-Player and Rev. 3 Skunkboard), but the music/sfx is still just hissing noise :(

Also: The game stucks after one play in the "Game Over" screen (with the ants moving around).

Kind regards

Matthias

Hey!!! Matthias! You are Atari-Famous!

My favorite Atari Jaguar game is Impulse-X.

• 2 months later...

I am back working on this again. I changed it to an ABS file, which decreased the time the screen is blank at the beginning very significantly. Also, I made it so you can only press B when you die after the death song has been played. It took a long time to figure out how to do this. Link to the game is (still) in my signature. The game is now 1.70 MB, so I should be OK with stuff. I don't know what to add to the game, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

• Like 4

I just played this for about ten minutes. I think it is a fun little game, and a very nice first release.

If you are looking for some constructive criticism, I might suggest gussying up the graphics a bit - I find that plain white backdrop kind of bright and harsh to look at.

I also think it needs something to jazz up the gameplay a bit: maybe have levels that last a minute, pause to play some music and display a score, then move to the next level with faster moving black ants or more red ants..? Slowly ramp up the difficulty or the speed level by level?

I don't know why, but it took multiple attempts and multiple sessions and multiple image attempts to put a new picture in the game. I made the word "ROUND" an image instead of text.

We don't know either, because you didn't show us what you were trying.

• Like 2