IGNORED

Intellivision Bad Apple

decle

Whilst we might be a bit late to the party, never let it be said that the Intellivision cannot keep up with the 2600.

Intellivision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyknZvRQCaU

• Video: 80x48 @30Hz
  • Audio: 6 voices
  • ROM: 218K words (435KB)
  • Download: badApple.zip

Atari 2600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9ZA50X71s

Not too shabby for the pedestrian CP-1610.

#JustSayin ;)

Edited by decle
  • Like 18

Whilst we might be a bit late to the party, never let it be said that the Intellivision cannot keep up with the 2600.

Intellivision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyknZvRQCaU

• Video: 80x48 @30Hz
  • Audio: 6 voices
  • ROM: 218K words (435KB)
  • Download: attachicon.gifbadApple.zip

Atari 2600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9ZA50X71s

Not too shabby for the pedestrian CP-1610.

#JustSayin ;)

That is f**king awesome! How did you do it?

• Like 1

For those who, like me, weren't aware that this was a meme, here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgK8eUdpAo

I have to say that after watching the one made for the C=64, I am even more impressed by the Intellivision version. The former looks a bit choppy, while the latter is more blocky but smoother. :)

Great job!

-dZ.

That's really insanely awesome!! I was thinking of Bad Apple and how to do it for the Intellivision. I was imagining it's going to be a small window and load the tiles into the grams to run the video making it tear due to ROM to GRAM transfer limitation. It is full screen and runs very well. Well done!

• Like 1

First up, thanks to everyone for your kind feedback, I'm glad people like it.

For those who, like me, weren't aware that this was a meme, here's the original:

The story behind Touhou games and the meme is quite interesting, the best summary I have found is here

I made a quick and dirty video to demonstrate the 6 voices of Bad Apple. :)

Thanks for doing this. I had only tested Bad Apple on JzIntv, so I'm pleased to see it works correctly on real hardware. :)

When I saw the music of Bad Apple in the other thread I knew by instinct this was coming.

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the hint in the MusoCheat thread, sadly the Nostrodamus Award is only handed out if it is called before I post ;)

I have to say that after watching the one made for the C=64, I am even more impressed by the Intellivision version. The former looks a bit choppy, while the latter is more blocky but smoother. :)

I think the C=64 version was written with the constraint of running from a single 170KB disk. So I'm not sure it is really a fair comparison. Given the quality of the BBC micro version, I'm pretty sure the C=64 could be significantly better with more memory for video data.

I was thinking of Bad Apple and how to do it for the Intellivision.

Ahh I'm sorry I accidentally stole your thunder. :(

That is f**king awesome! How did you do it?

How on Earth...?

I was imagining it's going to be a small window and load the tiles into the grams to run the video making it tear due to ROM to GRAM transfer limitation.

I think the key insight was to recognise that it was not necessary to represent the source video exactly, our brains are very good at filling in the gaps. The player is very simple, it takes a list of changed BACKTAB characters to write in each frame and executes them. Effectively the video is a piece of 20x12 ASCII art, where the character set being used is the 64 most frequently seen 4x4 patterns rather than ASCII characters. The other 3,400 4x4 patterns actually seen in the video are switched with the closest of the 64 most frequently ones. Only using BACKTAB sequencing like this side steps the limited access to the STIC.

Changing the character set by periodically by rewriting GRAM as the video plays to choose a "better" set of 64 4x4 patterns would improve quality, but I did not bother as I felt things looked OK as they were. I did try using the most frequent 8x8 patterns rather than 4x4 to give a 160x96 video, but the very large number of patterns to map onto the 64 GRAM characters resulted in a choppy video, not dissimilar to the video data limited C=64 version.

If there is interest I'm happy to start a thread in the Programming Forum to share the source code and discuss the technical details, but I suspect it will be of limited use in other projects.

Cheers

decle

• Like 6

First up, thanks to everyone for your kind feedback, I'm glad people like it.

The story behind Touhou games and the meme is quite interesting, the best summary I have found is here

Thanks for doing this. I had only tested Bad Apple on JzIntv, so I'm pleased to see it works correctly on real hardware. :)

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the hint in the MusoCheat thread, sadly the Nostrodamus Award is only handed out if it is called before I post ;)

I think the C=64 version was written with the constraint of running from a single 170KB disk. So I'm not sure it is really a fair comparison. Given the quality of the BBC micro version, I'm pretty sure the C=64 could be significantly better with more memory for video data.

I think the key insight was to recognise that it was not necessary to represent the source video exactly, our brains are very good at filling in the gaps. The player is very simple, it takes a list of changed BACKTAB characters to write in each frame and executes them. Effectively the video is a piece of 20x12 ASCII art, where the character set being used is the 64 most frequently seen 4x4 patterns rather than ASCII characters. The other 3,400 4x4 patterns actually seen in the video are switched with the closest of the 64 most frequently ones. Only using BACKTAB sequencing like this side steps the limited access to the STIC.

Changing the character set by periodically by rewriting GRAM as the video plays to choose a "better" set of 64 4x4 patterns would improve quality, but I did not bother as I felt things looked OK as they were. I did try using the most frequent 8x8 patterns rather than 4x4 to give a 160x96 video, but the very large number of patterns to map onto the 64 GRAM characters resulted in a choppy video, not dissimilar to the video data limited C=64 version.

If there is interest I'm happy to start a thread in the Programming Forum to share the source code and discuss the technical details, but I suspect it will be of limited use in other projects.

Cheers

decle

Haha! That's what I thought! I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. He was saying there is no way to update 64 cards even in two frames, and I suggested that the cards are mostly a static set and that the BACKTAB deltas are posted. Thanks for sharing.

I would be most definitely interested in discussing the technical aspect and peeking at the source. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Oh no. I'm not good at programming.

Cheers

decle

I was wondering if the player able use the GROM picture cards and the color square to add a little more detail?

• Like 1

Oh no. I'm not good experienced at programming.

Fixed that for ya ;)

I don't believe that anyone is born a "good" programmer. The only difference between them and the rest of us duffers is they have made more mistakes already.

I was wondering if the player able use the GROM picture cards and the color square to add a little more detail?

This is an excellent question. It is something I looked at very briefly. How to make the best use of the limited graphics and GRAM is a really interesting and subtle bit of the project. I don't think what I ended up with is optimal, just satisfactory. In the end to keep the video player simple I went with FG/BG mode, so coloured squares and the GROM graphics characters are not available. I could have dropped in GROM alphanumeric characters where appropriate, but I didn't because I thought it might be noticeable and jarring.

I've started PM chat with DZ-Jay on the technicalities (he was the only person to express an interest at that point). If you, or anyone else, want to join in and discuss this further, or anything else, just let me know and I'll add you.

Cheers

decle

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

bikeguychicago

seriously, 446Kb only for the intro?

caugh, that's an intellivision and not a superfamicom.

as tech demo it's certainly cool, but i can't imagine this for a games title screen.

i guess you will have to stick with the static title screens, or you like to run only the title screen, then shut off insert cartridge 2 "the game".

doesn't makes much sense, no?

i didn't even know yet if the inty can handle the demo, but neither i have an idea if such a rom could be produced and second how expensive it will be.

maybe that's it, a special intellivision intro just to let play in front of a game, senseless but cool.

hey what about joes sega style "Inty" logo (lunar mp demo), that would be already cool as opener, adding voice "intellivision - the future is now"

it won't be oversized and fits to any game.

post-41280-0-90584300-1524071106.gif

"intellivision - the next century"

Edited by Gernot