IGNORED

TurboBasic XL v1.5 MADS source (disassembly)

Wow! Tested it with 1.4. also and you're right.

I was 100% sure I had that problem and programmed "around it" for years.

And I always wondered why still most program run (well, hard program use the feature to return values from ML).

It is even mentioned in the 2nd revision of the "Turbo Basic Handbuch" (German, ABBUC).

I'll make sure it'll be removed from the 3rd revision, in case one is released.

• 5 months later...

Is there a version of Turbo Basic XL with the fixes compiled and ready to run? I could use the runtime for the old copy of the Action Annex BBS written in BASIC XL. I really want to run the actual hardware and not the emulator. Eventually I want to migrate to Altirra.
I came across a Happy Computer 1.5 Turbo Basic by Ostrowski but it dumps the BBS code . I don't have the actual cartridge anymore for plain Turbo Basic XL or Basic XL.

It's been a very long time since I compiled 6502 ASM. I could dust off the Macro Assembler.

I'll trade you the Midi Music System source code I came across. I need to contact the author and see if it's freeware or abandonware, or ??

Edited by mechanerd

Hi!

Is there a version of Turbo Basic XL with the fixes compiled and ready to run? I could use the runtime for the old copy of the Action Annex BBS written in BASIC XL. I really want to run the actual hardware and not the emulator. Eventually I want to migrate to Altirra.

I came across a Happy Computer 1.5 Turbo Basic by Ostrowski but it dumps the BBS code . I don't have the actual cartridge anymore for plain Turbo Basic XL or Basic XL.

It's been a very long time since I compiled 6502 ASM. I could dust off the Macro Assembler.

I'll trade you the Midi Music System source code I came across. I need to contact the author and see if it's freeware or abandonware, or ??

Current version of the disassembled sources is at https://github.com/dmsc/turbo-dis

Attached is the resulting ATR with original and bugfixed interpreters.

tbasic.atr

• Like 2

I looked over what people are considering a bug in Turbo Basic, and I quickly noticed that that those pieces of source code is something most people will not do when making a basic program. However I do recall there was an issue with a compile program not handling variable arrays properly. I had not a chance to mess around with this since the summer. Have other major priorities going on. It would be difficult to optimize anything further without sacrificing speed.

My ideal to get around the SpartaDos compatibility issue is to use the first extended memory bank on a 130XE, but others came out and said, why don't we use the other 48K to store the program. Something I myself will not mess around with.

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2017 at 6:00 AM, peteym5 said:

As you know, this is a work is a work in progress and I can change it back to your "X_" execute convention. I want to get a better understanding what does what before doing any advance optimization, but it looks like most of the floating point math sections should remain as is. At most I would probably would open up no more than a few hundred bytes anyway. I noticed there is a lot of JSR calling a JSR, then a 3rd JSR. One thing I do with my games and programs is if the JSR is only called once, copy and past the routine in place of the JSR and eliminate the RTS. Saves space and CPU cycles.

TB 2.0 appeared to be able to work with a mini disk utility program (DUP) but I could not figure out what advantage that would had. Some DOS functions are available in Turbo Basic. To do advance DOS functions, its better to be in DOS anyway.

I know a few want to include PM graphic functions, extended memory storage, string arrays. I personally want to add "ELSEIF" instead of "ELSE:IF" + extra "ENDIF" for each one.

Here is what I changed the labels to so far. I changed CALC_VARTAB to CALC_VARIABLE_POINTER. Also in the Token Areas, I added a little comment to what the token values are. Not sure about function token values yet.

TurboBasicXLMads.zip 98.63 kB · 115 downloads

The 2.11 version would give a mini-dos as pictured and you could exit and do some limited things and then Quit back to basic and your code would still be there

None of the other versions including 2.0 have this I don't believe.  Seemed like a poor trade off for over 2.5K of program space in my view.  I can't even tell you what Load Save and Verify do even.  Dos goes to the real Dos and Quit just jumps back into the interpreter

image.thumb.png.b051fc99f59a155381b2612c16091929.png

Edited by Ray Gillman

37 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

The 2.11 version would give a mini-dos as pictured and you could exit and do some limited things and then Quit back to basic and your code would still be there

None of the other versions including 2.0 have this I don't believe.  Seemed like a poor trade off for over 2.5K of program space in my view.  I can't even tell you what Load Save and Verify do even.  Dos goes to the real Dos and Quit just jumps back into the interpreter

image.thumb.png.b051fc99f59a155381b2612c16091929.png

Petey or his known sock puppets are on AtariAge no longer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, funkheld said:

Hi good afternoon.
is there also a turbo-basic compiler please?

Thank you.
greeting

Yes, Turbo BASIC has a compiler available, as well as a linker & runtime to make standalone executable files.

AtariWiki link — https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=TURBO-BASIC XL

Serious Computerist Link — http://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/pages/language/language.basic.htm

If you need some help just holler.

5 hours ago, funkheld said:

the old compiler is 1.1, where not all commands "save" "load" are recognized.
is there any new one like this new turbo-pascal from mads ??

greeting

No there is not.

There is a work-in-progress cross-compiler https://github.com/mgr-inz-rafal/tubac. The project appears to be on hold for two years. 

Or you can switch to FastBASIC that you probably already know. That would be my choice if I start any project from scratch.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:51 PM, Ray Gillman said:

The mini-dos was included to actually operate cassette. You could save or load your TBXL program in the Turbo 2000 file format using the DOS.
It also installed a T: device, loading and saving from tape using the Turbo 2000 system. At the time, it was quite useful for tape-only users (600 bps vs 2270 bps). Now, it is obsolete, of course.