IGNORED

The Fights are Rigged I Tell Ya! -Visitors of Miracle World

Torr

The classic gaming tropes thread got me thinking about something that isn't really a trope, so much as just a general misunderstanding, and something I want to clear the air on.

It may seem small, but it's a big deal to me every time I hear it.

It's a lie that NO ONE stands up and says, "NO" to; the way so many of us do when we hear "ET killed the Video Game Industry until Mario came along and saved it".

It's just not said anywhere near as often.

But anytime this game is mentioned, you're sure to also hear something along the lines of...

*drum roll*

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a good game but they screwed up by making the boss battles random scissors/paper/stone matches.

They did not, and they are not.

Sure some will say that the bosses throw the same sequences of hands each time so just memorize or write 'em down.

This is true, but is only half the story.

Let's say you're on a fresh playthrough, or you haven't played in a looong time and looking up cheats online is not an option.

There are 6 stages where you fight a Janken Master, plus the final Stage where you fight the King Janken (or whatever his name is) for a total of 7 janken matches.

Match 1: I'll agree, this is totally up in the air... but it's also level 2, if you get a game over you don't have to play THAT much over again. Also, it's level 2 a level you're going to play a lot of as you practice and master the game, so it shouldn't be long before you remember to throw Stone, Scissors.

Match 2: From this point on, you're fairly deep into the game so reseting because of some bad janken hands does seem unfair, but WAIT... there was a Telepathy Ball to be grabbed. An Item that lets you see what the boss is thinking. However, they are fully aware of your telepathic powers and are clever enough to keep changing their minds until the last second.

So now the boss battle is test of reflexes. You must be ready to flash the symbol that beats the one he's thinking of RIGHT when the music ends.

And even if you miss the Telepathy Ball, Match 2 & 3 might be tricky, but there's another to be found before Match 4, so there's still hope.

After multiple playthroughs, you will undoubtedly start to remember the patterns by heart.

However even if you haven't played in 5+ years and can't remember ANY bosses patterns... just grab the telepathy ball and be quick on the d-pad draw!

Am I the ONLY person who realized this is how it works?

You have to use the same strategy (key word there, strategy, not random chance) to avoid going broke buying items in Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle.

Or did people not understand how it worked there either and thought buying items was also by random chance in that game!!!

Edited by Torr