IGNORED

Screws and stuff?

buddpaul

There's nothing special about any of the screws used in the machine. In fact I have multiples of the same systems and in some cases, Atari and their own contractors weren't consistent. For instance, my AT-84 serial number 7800 uses black Phillips-head self-tapping machine screws to hold the case together, while my A1 serial number unit uses standard black Phillips-head machine screws of the same size and pitch. Most 400/800/XL machines uses the same size case chromed Phillips-head screws and again, there's nothing special about them - just standard screws used in most kinds of consumer electronics at the time.

• Like 3

I had a couple 1050's that had some missing screws, and was delighted to match up the screws at Lowe's. 6 x 3/4 SS Pan Head Phillips. Only thing I didn't notice until when I went to use them is the "SS" means stainless steel, so my magnetic tipped screwdriver won't pull them out of those deep holes haha. So they go on the faceplate holes. I'll know better next time!

There's nothing special about any of the screws used in the machine. In fact I have multiples of the same systems and in some cases, Atari and their own contractors weren't consistent. For instance, my AT-84 serial number 7800 uses black Phillips-head self-tapping machine screws to hold the case together, while my A1 serial number unit uses standard black Phillips-head machine screws of the same size and pitch. Most 400/800/XL machines uses the same size case chromed Phillips-head screws and again, there's nothing special about them - just standard screws used in most kinds of consumer electronics at the time.

That's true, but it is difficult to find matching/very similar screws in many cases. Certainly not at a typical hardware store in my area for some XL and XE screws. But BEST has had a good selection, so I've bought quite a few spares. It is not too difficult to find something that "works" but getting a close match has been troublesome, especially those with a wide pitch. Do you have any specific suggestions of sources?

-Larry

The handful of times I've needed new screws for Atari stuff, I've carried one example into my local Lowes (home improvement/hardware/lumber store), walked up to the giant rack of hundreds of kinds of screws and fasteners, and found an identical match. I'm sure Best is happy to sell you screws but at $20 minimum per order, plus shipping time, that's a big PITA when you need three screws at $0.15 each and you can buy them 10 minutes from home.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...