IGNORED

What IC did I kill on my 600XL Memory Upgrade?

KLund1

I tested the MB before I did this 64K upgrade. It was working perfectly.

After, when I boot it goes straight to Mem Test.

Can one of you smart people take a quick look and see which IC I killed, or did wrong?

None of the IC's are getting warm, except for CO14806 (6502 Sally) is a bit warm.

The ram test does completes 16 blocks then a quick show of random characters at the top of the screen(2.5 top rows) before it goes to black/dark blue blank screen.

Thanks

PS the 2 wires at the bottom are going to pads 3 and 4(left to right). But they do not look like in the pic.

post-15598-0-93820400-1496201292_thumb.jpg

Edited by KLund1

PMSL. That's a beauty.

You can actually put the 64k x 4 ICs in before starting the upgrade just for testing though of course you can only see 16K.

Once the upgrade has been done, putting back the 16k x 4 ICs, the system will be able to see 64K of RAM but it's just 3 extra repetitions of the 16K.

The problem with that is that the OS will assume you have 40/48K contiguous Ram. The startup memory test will get confused because it's work variables get written over during memory test and clear.

I'm sort of surprised it actually worked at all to that point. Supposedly the Commodore 16 repeats it's Ram mapping, which allows swapping out the OS and providing your own hardware vectors even though it's not a full 64K system.